User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one weak point often overlooked once you get past payload, tongue weight, tow ratings etc is the class IV hitch on most half tons. I had a great deal on a f150 the night we put deposit on our 315. I came home and researched more here, read the tongue weights and realized although every facet of the 150 COULD handle it, the hitch was only rated for 1200#. Your's will depend how you load and how you travel. Personally, I've come to accept <30' as HD territory. A gas engine 3/4 ton will do fine, however if there's any inkling of upgrading in the next few years go up to 1ton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabhoyt View Post
    Thanks for your opinion. Husband does not want to pay for a diesel engine. So we are planning gas. Any concerns regarding 3/4 ton gas truck?
    If you can I’d wait on the truck til the 2020 super duty is released. The 10 speed 7.3L gas setup will be an awesome rig. And the new SD will sit 2” lower...great for both TT and 5ers. Now as to the F150 ecoboost. I towed my last 5er that was ~10K with a 2016 ecoboost. Now if you can find an old or new ecoboost with the HD payload pkg then scoop that up and don’t worry about that trailer.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fl2GaScotts View Post
    The one weak point often overlooked once you get past payload, tongue weight, tow ratings etc is the class IV hitch on most half tons. I had a great deal on a f150 the night we put deposit on our 315. I came home and researched more here, read the tongue weights and realized although every facet of the 150 COULD handle it, the hitch was only rated for 1200#. Your's will depend how you load and how you travel. Personally, I've come to accept <30' as HD territory. A gas engine 3/4 ton will do fine, however if there's any inkling of upgrading in the next few years go up to 1ton.
    I don’t necessarily agree on getting a new (2017- 2019) 1 ton F350 over a 3/4. Gas V8 has a maximum GCWR OF ~22000lbs. Only get the 350 SRW if you need the higher GCWR. (Trailer fully loaded being heavier then 14000). If you look at a 2017 diesel 250 and 350; the only real differences are an extra rear spring and taller bed blocks. As well the rear axle hub holds ~800ml more fluid. Otherwise their essentially the same truck. Motor is a 6.7, tranny is same as well I believe in the diesel too. There are a lot of people that will buy a 250 and buy the blocks and extra spring and they basically have a 350. Not legally changing its capacity though. Of course this is apples to apples here. (10000 GVWR). My point is just because it’s a 350 doesn’t necessarily make it all that much better. The higher blocks gives a higher slope angle thus more weight to bring bed level. add 1 spring and that’s how you get extra payload. the 355 axle, wheels, hubs etc are all the same. Folks Really need to do their homework when choosing a rig. Or just spend the extra money and get a 350 with the camper/ploughing packages and getR done. Just my opinion.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone that replied to my post regarding best size of truck to pull the 2970rl. Definitely looking at the 3/4 ton truck. I don't think we will every move up to a 5th wheel. Biggest issue is having to drive a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck around locally to grocery store etc. A lot of truck for errands. I am concerned about what manufacturer to get our truck from. I find we can't afford a couple of the manufacturers because to get some safety features you have to spend a huge amount of money. Since we are purchasing truck and travel trailer at the same time, we are looking to spend a minimum of $75,000. Any opinions on Ford, Chevy, and Ram?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jabhoyt View Post
    Thank you to everyone that replied to my post regarding best size of truck to pull the 2970rl. Definitely looking at the 3/4 ton truck. I don't think we will every move up to a 5th wheel. Biggest issue is having to drive a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck around locally to grocery store etc. A lot of truck for errands. I am concerned about what manufacturer to get our truck from. I find we can't afford a couple of the manufacturers because to get some safety features you have to spend a huge amount of money. Since we are purchasing truck and travel trailer at the same time, we are looking to spend a minimum of $75,000. Any opinions on Ford, Chevy, and Ram?
    Do a little search in you area for used trucks , a lot of times you can find a low mileage good deal.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many honest folks on this forum will tell you. Their all capable trucks so as Brian suggested. Look around (especially for an ecoboost with the HD payload package and if need be put a better class hitch on it. It’s probably your best scenario (cost, daily driver, capable to haul most TT). Also there is a device you can buy called Haul Gauge. It plugs into the OBII of truck. When your truck shopping ask the dealership if you can take for a test. Bring the truck home hook up and within minutes you’ll know the tongue wt, and trailer wt. for $99 it’s an awesome buy.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up purchasing a Ram 2500 that has a class V hitch limit. I then got a 1400lb equalizer hitch for it. I appreciate your input and just wanted to update you on my decision. Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12