User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at new 337RLS

Returning home from Arizona 2 weeks ago, a couple hours south of Salt Lake City on I15, a woman was passing us, hit the rumble strip, panicked and over corrected, and basically broad sided our 2016 337RLS at 80MPH. She ended up in the hospital after rolling her car 3 times on the freeway. We just about flipped and as a result of all this the insurance company deemed it unrepairable. The frame was bent and the aluminum cage was somewhat twisted, walls cracked, and the stairs went to new heights!

As a result of all this, we are looking at a new 2020 337RLS. We have noticed a few positive changes in the 2020 model, but also have some negative feelings about it too. The single tub kitchen sink, cheap looking roller blinds in black only, darker interior color, small bathroom sink looks like it belongs at a rest area, cheaper looking dinette and chairs, no exhaust fan for the stove top, are some of the things. Looks like to me that the quality or the trailer is somewhat less than before. Noticed too that they have changed the suspension. We had the Equa-flex before. Is this one any better? On my 2016, I had to put spacers on the axle to raise the unit to make it run more level. Has this issue been addressed as yet since trucks are taller now? We like the layout of the 337RLS and the Grand Design customer service has been excellent, but I must admit, I have been looking at other brands of trailer. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the woman who destroyed our trailer had no insurance and they found drugs in her car.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can not help with your questions , comments on the 2020 version , but , HOLY COW , glad you are safe and un-harmed. I can imagine it was a terrible experience.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW - so glad for you that this did not turn out worse. The uninsured motorist and drugs story seems to be a runaway freight train story these days.

We agree about the single basin sink......not a fan. Washing in one side and rinsing in the other makes sense. It is in the Solitudes and Momentums and in higher end units in general. The single sink costs less with less plumbing costs and and less labor costs to install. Not a big deal/unit but over thousands of units well you know the story. We and many others on the forum also agree on the exhaust fan issue......same reasons as the kitchen sink for the builder....reduced costs I suspect.

Not aware of suspension change...did they do away with Equaflex too ? Cost savings again or possibly the real effectiveness of it. Some here have questioned the effectiveness. Axles (while Dexter) are the 6K capacity just as they were with LCI. Would think height is still the same.

We like the layout of these floorplans. We also like the darker colors and the dark roller shades but are OK with the pleated shades as well.

The fall release versions of the GDRV 2020 models are to receive some major updates after several years in production. If you can, you may want to wait. I would also reach out to GDRV to learn more and share your thoughts on likes, not likes, and things to consider. You never know what may be the outcome especially for a possible second GDRV owner.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterandDianne View Post
    We have noticed a few positive changes in the 2020 model, but also have some negative feelings about it too. The single tub kitchen sink, cheap looking roller blinds in black only, darker interior color, small bathroom sink looks like it belongs at a rest area, cheaper looking dinette and chairs, no exhaust fan for the stove top, are some of the things.
    Just read an article on RV Business about the new interiors/colors/look/etc. for the company previously owned by Don, Ron, and Bill. You may want to read that. I suspect that the new colors/designs/etc. for GDRV will be along the same lines as these changes are really appealing and the next big thing. We have seen it in new home construction for a couple years. I would also suspect that GDRV will "one up" the competition in several areas.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 2019 337 and while we can’t compare to the 2016, we can speak to a couple items you mentioned. We love the single tub sink! We had a double before and found them too small and limiting. It really is a matter of personal preference. The black roller blinds work great for us. There are pleated blinds in the bedrooms and they are harder to roll up and down as well as letting too much light in. We use the fantastic fan above the island when cooking and have had no issues. Can’t speak to the change in dinette, but we did have to round the corners of the drawer as they were sharp! Now the bathroom sink....UGH! What were they thinking?? Can’t even fit a hand under there. Changed it out. In photo 1 you can see the trace on the counter top of how much larger the new sink will be. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27CF7BAA-C83F-4B76-9F6B-8F9FE9E9B752.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	19813 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C4E6026-A7C8-41E1-AD0E-3A613464AF5D.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	19812Awesome upgrade that GD should be doing themselves! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29CD01C5-D5C0-4F72-AA54-BCB86B902263.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	19810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14342FFE-CB45-44F2-8DB6-23957339F2F0.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	19811We love our GD despite some of the small items. We also added pullouts to the pantry and a wine rack to one of the hutch cupboards.
    Last edited by Fourpells; 05-03-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    Tony and Barbara
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ford F350 KR CC/SB 4X4
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that bathroom upgrade. Is that a residential sink, something that you would find at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered online. It is hammered copper. Others have found this same size for an upgrade in the silver type that is less expensive, but I loved the look of this one. If you search “Bathroom sink and faucet mod” you will find ours from April 2018 and it has all the details in the thread.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Ordered a 2020 Reflection 337, so now have the summer to do all these mods.