Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Closet rod failure

The closet rod departed from the ceiling of the bedroom slideout. It was retained by about 6 screws. There may be a backer above the paneling. I think I will cut a piece of luan to fit and secure it with a number of screws, then refasten the rod in the original manner. If anyone has experienced a similar failure and fixed it, please enlighten us! Thanks.

Tom & Joan
    2014 303 RLS
    2017 F450, Air suspension, Aluminum tow body, B&W hitch
    3rd family member - Labradoodle

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or consider using wall mollies made for the luan - photo in this thread

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...t=Wall+mollies
    Last edited by powerscol; 04-24-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    powerscol,

I need to determine the thickness of the closet ceiling and space above it, maybe by drilling a small hole and feeling when the drill goes through. I already probed one of the existing screw holes, it feels like there is a backer above the paneling. I have molys, but of a different type than those you pictured. Thanks!

Tom
    2014 303 RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The luan is maybe 1/4" or less (3/16) if that helps. If there is baker blocking go up one screw size (larger diameter)and dab a bit of gorilla glue in the hole using a tooth pick and on the very tip of the screw. Only need a little dab. The stuff expands to fill any void around the screw.
    Good luck
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced #8 screws with #10's, dabbed some Gorrilla glue on each as suggested and left it be all day. Should get the job done! Will report if it doesn't.
    2014 303 RLS