Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using a generator

Recently attempted to camp with a generator with no success. Actually went through two of them, and although they were both borrowed and not previously tested by me, it does leave me with a few questions. Looking for someone with some experience camping on generator, still trying to figure out what size is needed to run the AC and a few extras, and always interested in some recommendations.
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona
    2014 GD Reflection 337RLS #353
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD- Duramax/Allison

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We use a Honda 3000is. I've had it for 7-8 years, and it's never let me down. It has plenty of power to run the A/C, TV and satellite dish. However, if you want to run the microwave, you have to shut off the A/C first so you don't over load it. As soon as you're done with the microwave, you can restart the A/C.

If I was going to purchase new, I'd actually buy two Honda 2000 generators and hook them up with the parallel kit Honda sells. If you only need a little power, one of the 2000's will work just fine. If you need more power, you can hook them together. My Honda 3000 weighs about 150 pounds. In order to load it in the truck, I use a hoist I installed in the garage ceiling. The Honda 2000s are much lighter and most anyone can move them as needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We actually have the two Honda 2000is running in parallel. They do work like a charm. Tested them out before our recent maiden voyage in our new unit, as we hadn't used them in a long while. The worked really well and ran all day. They are very quiet. And being able to get up to 8 hours on a single gallon each still baffles me (I was able to get about 6 hours running the air conditioner in those 95º degree temps we had a few weeks ago). Every time I've considered installing something like an Onan generator in our previous unit (Outback 29bhs 5ver) and now our new unit (Reflection 323bhs) I get overruled. The truth is, for the limited amount of times we've boondocked the Hondas have been perfect.
    Hanksterman & Kae Rae
    2014 Reflection 323BHS
    1999 Ford F350 CC 7.3L Dually

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Our-RV-map.jpg

pcjunki
    I have a Champion Power Equipment 46539 4,000 Watt 196cc 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wireless Remote Electric Start (CARB Compliant) that I purchased off of an Amazon special for $399. I used it for just a few hours with our 303RLS but did use it with our old Flagstaff TT which was about the same size as the 303RLS for over a full day. I did not try to run the A/C and the microwave at the same time but had no problems running the unit with A/C the entire time. It weighs 140lbs and is not as quiet as the Honda's but for the price you cannot beat it. It has a 30 amp socket built in and I just used a 30 amp to 50 amp converter cable to hook it up to the 303RLS. You can only run one A/C at a time but that has not been an issue with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcjunki View Post
    I have a Champion Power Equipment 46539 4,000 Watt 196cc 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wireless Remote Electric Start (CARB Compliant) that I purchased off of an Amazon special for $399. I used it for just a few hours with our 303RLS but did use it with our old Flagstaff TT which was about the same size as the 303RLS for over a full day. I did not try to run the A/C and the microwave at the same time but had no problems running the unit with A/C the entire time. It weighs 140lbs and is not as quiet as the Honda's but for the price you cannot beat it. It has a 30 amp socket built in and I just used a 30 amp to 50 amp converter cable to hook it up to the 303RLS. You can only run one A/C at a time but that has not been an issue with us.

Now, that sounds like a real winner.
    Hanksterman & Kae Rae
    2014 Reflection 323BHS
    1999 Ford F350 CC 7.3L Dually

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Our-RV-map.jpg