User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transcend 31RLS Dual Black Tank Dump Valves??

Hello, my husband and I just brought home our new 2019 Transcend 31RLS, and while we are not RVing newbies, we are preplexed why there are 2 valves marked Black. The 31RLS has 2 grey tanks and (supposedly) 1 black tank. There is only one bathroom. We asked the sales preson and the shop person at the dealership about it but neither had any clue as to why there would be 2 black valves and or what water/waste would go into that tank or what (if anything) would ever come out.

Speculation is that the same chassis is used for the 31RLS and the 32BHS (which has two bathrooms) and so both models have the same tanks and plumbing piping.

Can anyone confirm this? And if that is true, are we just carrying around an extra black tank the will forever remain empty?

Thanks for any insite you can give.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi joanyeb . . . Welcome to the Grand Design Owners Forum . . . we don't have many Transcend owners here yet, so we may have to ask you a few questions to help you figure out what is going on.

First of all . . . do not assume that the color of the pull handle corresponds to the contents of the tank! Most GDRV products have 3 tanks (kitchen/shower/toilet). I am not sure if this is true for Transcend. In any case, best to figure out first hand, which valve is which. Drain all the tanks and close the gate valves. Then, put about 5 gallons into one thing (kitchen sink or shower or toilet). Now pull each handle individually to figure out which one drains what you just filled. Then repeat for the other two.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joanyeb View Post
    Hello, my husband and I just brought home our new 2019 Transcend 31RLS, and while we are not RVing newbies, we are preplexed why there are 2 valves marked Black. The 31RLS has 2 grey tanks and (supposedly) 1 black tank. There is only one bathroom. We asked the sales preson and the shop person at the dealership about it but neither had any clue as to why there would be 2 black valves and or what water/waste would go into that tank or what (if anything) would ever come out.

Speculation is that the same chassis is used for the 31RLS and the 32BHS (which has two bathrooms) and so both models have the same tanks and plumbing piping.

Can anyone confirm this? And if that is true, are we just carrying around an extra black tank the will forever remain empty?

Thanks for any insite you can give.
    Your 31RLS is an almost identical floorplan to my 315RLTS. The difference between your 31RLS and the 32BHS is you have a washing machine hookup. This probably has its own grey tank as does my 315. A hint to that is your 107 gal grey tank capacity. So.... you likely have only 1 black tank as your capacity is 39 gallons and 3 grey tanks, 1 each for kitchen, bathroom and washer. On my 315, the handle for the washer tank is in the driver side pass through area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI! I just wanted to get back with some information just in case others are ever curious about the 31RLS. By the way, this is not joanyeb but this is "rayb" (joanyeb's husband).

After some experimentation we determined that what "Chiefblueman" said is essentially correct (thanks Chiefblueman). The only difference being I think our handle arrangement may be different. I also contacted Grand Design and they got back to me with essentially the same information. Per Grand Design, the 3 grey tanks are essentially the same size. All very close to 36 gallons. In a nutshell, this is how things are arranged.

The aft most grey handle drains the Kitchen grey tank. The aft most Black handle drains the toilet tank (the actual "black" tank). The forward most black handle drains the Bathroom tank (shower and sink, i.e. actually grey). The forward most grey handle would drain the Washer tank (although we didn't pour water down the washer drain provision to check for that). The labeling on the side of the Trailer matches the color of the handles (black or grey). But as I mentioned, the forward "black" handle is actually the Bathroom "grey" tank. I had actually seen a video from a dealership in Texas where they kind of explained this also but in that case, the labeling on the side of the Trailer was 3 grey and 1 black (although the handle colors were the same as on our Trailer).

And although I haven't had a chance to check this (by filling up the individual tanks so that they actually register on the level meter on the inside control panel), but Grand Design says that they are wired to the control panel front to rear. Which in this case would mean "GRY2" would be the Washer tank, "GRY1" would be the Bathroom tank and BLK2/GRY3 would be the Kitchen tank. I have doubts about this but we will figure it out when we finally get to use it enough to fill some of these tanks up.

It appears that unless we actually add a Washing Machine in the future (which is not in the plan), we will be carrying around an extra tank we will never use. Keep that in mind if you have this model under consideration. It still would not have been a deal breaker for us as the floor-plan was our biggest attraction to this model but I think it would be nice if Grand Design had included this type of detail information in their description of the model (a point I made to them when I sent them my inquiry).

I have a couple of pictures linked below to help the explanation I gave (I couldn't figure out how to attach them as jpg). The first one should be a picture of the dump valve arrangement (to the left is forward). The second one is of the control panel (to the right is forward in this case).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-3d...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11e8...ew?usp=sharing'

Ray

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Your 31RLS is an almost identical floorplan to my 315RLTS. The difference between your 31RLS and the 32BHS is you have a washing machine hookup. This probably has its own grey tank as does my 315. A hint to that is your 107 gal grey tank capacity. So.... you likely have only 1 black tank as your capacity is 39 gallons and 3 grey tanks, 1 each for kitchen, bathroom and washer. On my 315, the handle for the washer tank is in the driver side pass through area.
    Thank you! You are absolutely correct! After some detailed experimentation it seems that even though we have 2 handles marked Black and 2 handles marked Grey, there does seem to be 3 grey tanks (washer, bathroom, and kitchen) and 1 black (toilet).