User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've towed over 31,000 miles in almost four years with the frig always on propane while in motion (the frig has the overheat protection module on it). As full-timers, the frig is never off and we've never had an issue with running it on propane while driving.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towing travel trailers for at least 15 years I’ve always used the propane fridge when towing and never thought twice about it. My last trailer had black iron propane lines underneath. Noticed my Solitude has only rubber lines exposed underneath front to back. One line runs right beside the passenger side tires. If a tire blows and shreds that line I could see a big propane fuelled inferno (just needs a spark to ignite like steel tire belts flailing). After over 15 years, I’m changing my ways. Luckily with my inverter and 3 Battleborns I’ll be running electric instead of propane from now on when travelling on the road. Maybe a black iron upgrade is in my future!
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    Towing travel trailers for at least 15 years I’ve always used the propane fridge when towing and never thought twice about it. My last trailer had black iron propane lines underneath. Noticed my Solitude has only rubber lines exposed underneath front to back. One line runs right beside the passenger side tires. If a tire blows and shreds that line I could see a big propane fuelled inferno (just needs a spark to ignite like steel tire belts flailing). After over 15 years, I’m changing my ways. Luckily with my inverter and 3 Battleborns I’ll be running electric instead of propane from now on when travelling on the road. Maybe a black iron upgrade is in my future!
    That's a very good point............................................. ...................Diesel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All modern propane tanks have blowout protection in their valves. If you cut a propane line it will not spew all of the gas out.

A few years ago we went out to a safe place and took some propane bottles from 1 pounders to a 20 lb tank and shot them with handguns and rifles. We could not get the gas to ignite by just shooting them and the bottles just spun until empty. We literally had to tape a lit flare to the tank to get any flame.

We have been using propane to keep the fridge running for years with no issues. We also had no issues running the generator while going down the road in our Class C's.

Your choice, either will work.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True about the blowout protection, but depends on how the propane line is damaged... completely severed and sure... a cut or crush and leak with a spark and not sure! I’ve seen a few YouTube videos of wrecking yards lately with trailers with obvious damage by fire around the tire area. The chances are obviously very slim... but with all this money invested and my family in the truck, not worth the gamble. Would probably never happen, but as the only luck I have is bad luck...

I could look into a gas shut off valve to isolate the rear trailer line. With that I could still run the geny up front while traveling if needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12