User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Monday morning, nearly 7am and the temp is 24 degrees. It’s been that temp since about 9pm last night. Granny’s fine, 64 interior, 53 on top of water heater, and 44 at the water intake in the pass through. There’s heavy white frost over everything. Knew it was going to be a cold one when the week-long heavy cloud cover suddenly cleared yesterday at 3-4pm. The forecast for next week has changed. Now indications are for no freeze/frost overnight. Happy about that, but we’re ready, just in case, because we never know what May will throw at us around here!
    N
    Glad it worked out. When we came home (too early, second week of April) the weather had been good enough that I decided not to winterize. Now I'm about to fill my third propane tank at $24 per... grrr! Seeing that the cold nights are projected to continue, I tried winterizing a couple of days ago but even after reading tips here cannot get the pump (which has been unused until now) to suck antifreeze. Double-grrr!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Glad it worked out. When we came home (too early, second week of April) the weather had been good enough that I decided not to winterize. Now I'm about to fill my third propane tank at $24 per... grrr! Seeing that the cold nights are projected to continue, I tried winterizing a couple of days ago but even after reading tips here cannot get the pump (which has been unused until now) to suck antifreeze. Double-grrr!
    Thanks, Mark,
    I’m really surprised by the function of the little ceramic heater in the pass-through storage compartment. Even with the “thermostat” dial turned all the way down, it kept that sensor reading right around 40 degrees. Also, the temp in that area may have stayed above freezing because I pulled out the drawer, and opened the bedroom closet door above, so the furnace heat would circulate above as well. Matter of fact, all drawers and closet doors were pulled full-open (except under-dinette storage: with the slide out that would have been a heat loss), and all the window shades were pulled down.
    N
    Re: the pump-Is there any way at all you can prime it?
    Last edited by Houndbb; 04-29-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Thanks, Mark,
    I’m really surprised by the function of the little ceramic heater in the pass-through storage compartment. Even with the “thermostat” dial turned all the way down, it kept that sensor reading right around 40 degrees. Also, the temp in that area may have stayed above freezing because I pulled out the drawer, and opened the bedroom closet door above, so the furnace heat would circulate above as well. Matter of fact, all drawers and closet doors were pulled full-open (except under-dinette storage: with the slide out that would have been a heat loss), and all the window shades were pulled down. Re: the pump-Is there any way at all you can prime it?
    Thanks for the additional tips. Re: priming the pump I've read a few threads here and tried a handful of things including reversing the screen at the input, elevating the jug, and even blowing on a tube full of antifreeze (that stuff is DELICIOUS!). I've got at least a couple of cups in there, but no joy.

At this point, contributing to my propane dealer's Ferrari fund for another week or two seems easiest. I'd missed your ceramic heater mention - I have a wee one and will add that to the battle.

The proper solution though is to live somewhere that doesn't get freezing temps. Do you have any tips for convincing my wife?!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Thanks for the additional tips. Re: priming the pump I've read a few threads here and tried a handful of things including reversing the screen at the input, elevating the jug, and even blowing on a tube full of antifreeze (that stuff is DELICIOUS!). I've got at least a couple of cups in there, but no joy.

At this point, contributing to my propane dealer's Ferrari fund for another week or two seems easiest. I'd missed your ceramic heater mention - I have a wee one and will add that to the battle.

The proper solution though is to live somewhere that doesn't get freezing temps. Do you have any tips for convincing my wife?!
    Your post made me laugh...but then, I had a thought. (Again, might be dangerous). I’m thinking the pump is possibly seized up due to non-use. You tried to get the antifreeze to it by blowing, what if you used a bit of compressor air to move what’s already in the tube? Maybe you should start a new thread and ask the experienced ones what they think about your lazy pump? My thought is that a little “lubricant” forced in might get it to start, but my experience is with small utility, submersibles and pond pumps.
    Funny story back at ya-we installed a laundry sink in the basement, but had to buy an enclosed sump pump (3 gallon or so) to pump UP to the main septic. After awhile, the float stopped working. Normally, I’d get a wrench, take it apart, and clean it out. But just the thought of what’s in there and what it might smell like changed my mind. I just kick the container while holding the pvc stable. Works every time. Bruce rolls his eyes, but I don’t see him ready with a wrench to take it apart.
    N
    Edit: ah, I just read your post with responses from the experienced ones (no guff, pure reverence). I’d just second the part about opening the faucets, and raise to- open all the faucets. It’s just how I roll-in for a penny, in for a pound!
    Last edited by Houndbb; 04-29-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12