User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion Observation Camera - Full time power

Anyone installed a Furrion camera? Mine has power without the camper being plugged into truck. Anyway to turn it off?
    Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burgpath View Post
    Anyone installed a Furrion camera? Mine has power without the camper being plugged into truck. Anyway to turn it off?
    I have been told that GD pre-wired the plugs into the rear hot wire for the interior lights. Always hot and always on. Several of us have elected to run ours from the outer marker lights. I have to turn on my parking or headlights to power the camera. I do not think it is a major mod to splice into the marker lights.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said most wire into the marker lights. Couple have put in a wireless 12 volt relay.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post162394
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-backup-camera
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    I have been told that GD pre-wired the plugs into the rear hot wire for the interior lights. Always hot and always on. Several of us have elected to run ours from the outer marker lights. I have to turn on my parking or headlights to power the camera. I do not think it is a major mod to splice into the marker lights.
    There are 3 12v puck lights at the rear of the camper, pulled them looking for camera hook up. Nope. Going to pull the fan shroud next. If that fails, then I'll pull the marker light as discussed. Thanks everyone.
    Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer. I can reach all the way to the back wall via that removed fan shroud. Cant find the marker or camera wires.
    Kevin
    2019 Ford F350 DRW
    2020 Solitude 380FL-R

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer. I can reach all the way to the back wall via that removed fan shroud. Cant find the marker or camera wires.
    My rear marker wires somehow run up inside the rear wall's aluminum frame and to each light.
    The furrion power runs up into that same aluminum frame and up on top of the rear cabinet & runs off to the right side somewhere to wherever it taps in.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I re-wired mine to the marker lights. I removed the camera and the center marker light, fished wire between the two holes, and spliced the marker light's power to the camera. Whenever I need the camera I turn the truck's lights on; works great for me.

I can't tell you what mine WAS wired to because it's connection had already come apart, but posts here indicate that Grand Design's construction folks are very haphazard about how they connect the camera power.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can connect to the marker lights or I have the option to connect to the two LED lights over the rear sofa which allows me to use the existing light switch. The plan when I started was to install a separate switch but it seems easier to tie into the existing switch and run the two LED lights while traveling. Any reason not to connect to the LED light switch?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnswin View Post
    I can connect to the marker lights or I have the option to connect to the two LED lights over the rear sofa which allows me to use the existing light switch. The plan when I started was to install a separate switch but it seems easier to tie into the existing switch and run the two LED lights while traveling. Any reason not to connect to the LED light switch?
    1. Probably can't get to the switch until the next time you open up the trailer for camping.

In our traveling there have been instances where that wouldn't be ideal, including some where it would mean either the trouble of opening up in a compromised position or leaving lights and camera on all night.

The only strong argument I've seen AGAINST using marker lights power to power the camera is from people who report that when they turn on their truck's lights during the day (to power the marker lights) then the displays in their truck go dark (night mode) and are difficult to read. That's not a problem in my F-350 - I can read the displays lights on or off during the day - so for me marker lights are the way to wire these cameras. I can control on/off at my fingertips any time I'm towing, and I don't need the camera at any other times.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put a weatherproof switch on the mounting bracket for the camera so I can turn the camera off when my rig is in storage (or any other time I desire). I connected the switch to the power feed to the camera. Worked very well. I have another question about the camera. Is there any way to get it to zoom in a little more than it is from the factory. Cars right behind my rig appear on the screen to be way back.