Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The main level furnace air return is under the hutch. There is no ducting for air return to the furnace. BTW, this means that there is no air filtering during furnace operation . . . a potential problem for those of us with dogs and cats . . . .

Rob
    I had the same thought about dust bunnies getting sucked in. In my old TT, there was a wood grille under the fridge for the return air to the furnace. I stapled a piece of screen to the inside of it to keep the chunky stuff out. I haven't crawled on the floor yet to see if there is any kind of grill under the hutch of the 29-er. If there isn't, I'll fab something.

-jj

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The return air under the hutch is not sealed off from the drawers that are above it and there is no filter system. The air flows up and around them and them into an opening behind them that goes into the storage area and then to the furnace for return. To at least help with dust and floor debris getting sucked up into the area I took the drawers out and put in some thin panels to have the air return flow go directly into the storage area and isolated from the drawers. I noticed some dust that would settle on the pots and pans that were in the drawers and with a small dog I didn't want dog hard floating around the clean dishes we put in the drawers. Also figured a good idea to have the storage area isolated from them as well. When I would open the outside storage bins my wife could feel air flowing from outside back into the drawers when she opened them.

May also want to note the direction of the furnace vent in the bathroom. Ours was pointing directly at the return air vent behind the toilet. Probably not a huge difference but figured it should point into the room, not the return vent. A few screws and it can be rotated to point out into the room.
    2017 F350 Platinum DRW Diesel
    2017 337RLS
    B&W Companion Hitch
    Memphis, TN

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
    When I would open the outside storage bins my wife could feel air flowing from outside back into the drawers when she opened them.
    suzhou - I have also thought about how to filter the return air to the furnace. If the air flow was always towards the furnace, this would be relatively easy, but you have mentioned a key consideration. The furnace area is hardly an air tight box. There are large open areas over the pass through wall between the beams supporting the floor above. We have experienced exactly what you describe, feeling outside air flow out through the furnace air returns when the pass through storage doors are open. Thus, the dog hair dust bunnies are being pushed back and forth . . . and up to the dishes in the drawers as you describe.

I like your idea of blocking off air up into the drawers and some type of filter on the under hutch and bathroom air returns should work because the furnace will not often be running with the pass through doors open and with this area closed there will not be much air flow into the furnace from there.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something you may want to check. Several of us found that a heater flex hose fell off under the floor behind the basement wall. It was just attached with metal duct tape. The fix is to reattach with a couple of self drilled screws then retape it.

When the flex hose falls off the heated air flow to bedroom and bathroom is reduced.

Here’s what mine looked like behind the basement wall.

Last edited by Jerryr; 12-17-2017 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Something you may want to check. Several of us found that a heater flex hose fell off under the floor behind the basement wall. It was just attached with metal duct tape. The fix is to reattach with a couple of self drilled screws then retape it.

When the flex hose falls off the heated air flow to bedroom and bathroom is reduced.

Here’s what mine looked like behind the basement wall.

WHOA!! Huge manufacturing screw up! I hope this was just a lazy worker on the line and not standard procedure at GD.
    They seriously need to be notified that this is happening. That kind of half-azz work is not going to pass muster.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the GD website

RAISING THE QUALITY BAR We put every Grand Design unit through a series of quality inspection gates during the manufacturing process. Once completed, the unit undergoes a comprehensive final finish inspection. From here, most manufacturers ship their units on to the dealer for retail sale. Not Grand Design...Every one of our units are shipped to a separate PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) location where they are again put through a 280+ point inspection process. It is only after this that we deem a unit ready to ship to our dealers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDI-Graphic_280.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	10828

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    Apparently the inspection checklist needs to be just a little longer and include more than counting the tires.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Apparently the inspection checklist needs to be just a little longer and include more than counting the tires.
    Likely, the tape was still holding when it left final inspection . (Not that this is any excuse for using just tape).
    BTW, this has been going on for years and GDRV has been made aware on more than one occasion.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12