User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're down to two: the 303RLS or the 337RLS. Some advice please.

New members here but have been lurking for months, finally subscribed when we decided on Grand Design. I full timed for two years in the late '70s while going to school and work but things have sure changed since then. I have read hundreds of posts on this site and thanks to all for the useful info.

We could use a little help with our decision making from the experienced folks here as we plan to purchase within the next 3 or 4 months. After the usual months of searching/reading/internet browsing we have narrowed the field to two, the 303RLS or the 337RLS. 3 feet and a few thousand pounds difference. DW loves the bedroom in the 337 (it is awfully nice) and I like the shorter length and lower weight of the 303. We will be towing with a '17 RAM 3500 CCSB SRW diesel.

The trips we are planning will usually last several weeks although we are thinking of a couple of trips that might last several months. We are home based in Tennessee.

1. Can anyone comment on using National Park and Forest Service campgrounds. I realize both 5ers have length limitations in some campgrounds but would the 303 provide any significant advantage due to it being slightly shorter?

2. One of the longer trips we are considering will be to Alaska. Again just wanting to understand if the 303 or the 337 would better/worse for this journey.

Any other comments or thoughts comparing the two units would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facetious answer: DW has spoken: [emoji3]

We volunteer at national and state parks 7-8 months a year. It may take a little planning/research, but we've never been unable to find a site that works for our 337.

Few parks have cookie-cutter sites. We just spent five months at a national park with a stated 30 foot maximum length. However, the camp hosts, Visitor Center volunteers, and the Rangers all know that there are a couple of sites that will take 40' or so, and several others are good to the mid-30s.

It helps to call ahead and talk with someone at the park, just to see what's possible. Also, don't overlook Corps of Engineers campgrounds if they're in the area... At least in the Southeast, many of them have sites in excess of 100'.

Whichever trailer you choose, welcome to the GD family.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your future ownership. First, you are lucky to have the truck to tow either of these choices nicely. We were in the same position 3 years ago and decided on the 337. We love it so much and are very happy with our decision. We have traveled about 40,000 miles with it and have been coast to coast and boarder to boarder in it 3 times now. We chose the 337 over the 303 for a variety of floorplan reasons including the bedroom, bathroom and storage.

We have not had difficulty camping in State or National parks and actually do so more than RV parks unless we are one the road. More and more of these parks can accommodate longer units although I am very diligent in my research.

I would add that what were significant disadvantages to us 3 years ago with the 303 have been improved over the years such as the larger fridge and 16" wheels. Both were important to us at the time and now available. Personally we didn't like the bedroom layout in the 303 nor did I like having to open and close the trailer door to access the pass through storage. Inconveniences to us but likely positives for folks looking for a couple feet off the trailer's length.

As is said over and over, it's all about the layout and your personal preference. You really, really need to sit in each of them for an extended period "playing house" to get your best idea of how it will live for you.

Good luck with your decision process and feel free to ask any specific questions you may have about the 337 in particular.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve & Peggy - welcome to the forum.......a good place with wonderful and helpful folks. We were in the same boat trying to decide between the 337 and 303. However, back in that time (winter of 2013) there were only 3 Reflection models and 3 (I think) Solitudes. We were ready to buy a new 337 from our local dealer but ran across probably the only used GDRV at the time, a once used 303 with several dealer/owner add-ons at a price too good to pass on. Sounds like your decision is already made if the DW likes the 337 !

There have been a few posts over the years regarding National/State/etc. parks and 303 vs 337 over the years and as I recall no one had issues with 337 in most all sites. Yes, there are some smaller sites but those probably will be challenges for the 303 too. Paul & Deb (Poppy's 5th wheel) have camped in some pretty tight spaces with their 337 so you may wish to reach out to Paul and get his feedback. We have seen sites where we were able to use a spot if we claimed a 30' length but if we stated 33' (which our 303 is just shy of), we could not reserve the site online but had adequate or more space when we setup using 30'.

The 337 also has (at least had) a 10" frame vs 8" for the 303 and many folks viewed this as an important or nice to have item. Height for some is an issue since the 337 with front AC is right at or just over/under 13' vs less than 13' for the 303 thus allowing for indoors storage with a 13' door for the 303. Most newer RV buildings use 14' doors so height is a non-issue for this item. Wall RV values are 11 for the 337 vs 9 for the 303 due to two luan panels being used on the 337 vs one on the 303. We learned this a couple years ago from GDRV.......trust the same today for 2018 models. I do not think you will notice any measurable difference pulling and maneuvering either RV. There are other differences as well so I encourage you to talk with GDRV to learn current build differences/options to ensure you are well informed.

A 4 decade friend of ours bought a 337 in August after talking to us about our 303 over the last couple years. The extra room in the living/kitchen area, bathroom and bedroom layouts sold them on the 337 vs 303.......my wife and I have agreed with this all along.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another topic I just thought of based on Toes comment. The campsites list the pad length but with the wheels near the middle, overhang to the rear of the "pad" is typical, common and normal. So a 30' pad may allow for a 35'-40' or whatever rig unless there is a tall boulder or timber to the rear. We liked the 337 also but started from the smaller ones, 26, 27, 29 and 303 was big enough. I also have a 3/4t truck so already maxed out there...or more.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were at the same decision point in 2015 - trying to decide between the 303 and 337. Obviously, we chose the 337. Main factors were:

Large front closet and dresser in bedroom
    Walk-around bed with more storage underneath
    Larger shower
    Larger basement

We stay in all kinds of places - even volunteer camp hosted in a National Forest Service campground. We've found a few places where the spaces were tight - but it was width or room for turning while backing (usually trees too close to road and site) that caused concerns, not the length. We started out with "not enough truck" (diesel but only 3/4-ton) and, in a little over a year, moved to a DRW 1-ton. You should be fine pulling a 337 with a 3500 SRW. 27 months later, we still feel the 337 is the perfect floor plan for us.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes and the considered replies. It's very much appreciated. I suspect that after Peggy reads these that we will be looking for a 337.
    Steve and Peggy
    2016 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were at this same crossroad last year too! Had the 303 for just one week over a year now. We chose the 303 for size, weight, and the size of our already existing pole barn. We are vacationers and weekend warriors and it just fit for us. The 337 is a wonderful rig and surely has its advantages. And there has been a time or two I wished I had the larger basement and front closet, but that's about it. The DW also liked the bedroom in the 337, but we both actually preferred the bath in the 303. It just felt roomier to us, so it was a nice compromise. I too pull with a 2015 Ram/Cummins SRW 3500 and it man handles the 303 which I love! You should have no problems with either rig with your truck!
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More good points and a useful discussion, obviously we are not the first with the 303RLS or 337RLS decision dilemma and we really appreciate the input.

We don't have a pole barn (I wish) but I do have space in the back yard that is just deep enough for a 303 plus a few feet if I can make the maneuver to line up with the 10' gate in the fence; a 337 would definitely not fit. My wife and I reviewed the posts last night and discussed the various pros and cons. Then we did the same thing this morning and ya'll may be surprised to know we are still on the fence - ha. Both units have their advantages; it may be a case of which one shows up with the best deal first.

Has anyone taken one of these units to Alaska? Anything special about making that trip that we should consider?
    Steve and Peggy
    2016 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are both good units. I have the 303 and loved it from the start. The reason I chose it over the 337 had to do with weight. The truck I had at the time max weight was the 303. I didn't know that 3 months later I would upgrade to a diesel dually. Now I wish I had the 337. It deals with the bedroom size and that's the difference. You may not think of it as a difference now, but once you load for any trip over 2 weeks you will want the extra space. The 303 doesn't hold much and it is cramped. I am a solo RVer and I notice the bedroom size. You may like the shorter unit and lighter unit, but trust me the wife will thank you for going the 337 route. You have plenty of truck.
    Arnold Warnes
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast