User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    My pet peeve - Those who fill the fire ring with their trash including plastic plates and cups and either leave it for the next guy to burn or clean up, or better yet, light it right before they go and leave a stinking, smoldering mess for the next guy.

People: just because something will catch fire doesn't mean it should be burned.
    Kim,
    Last July, we spent a week on the Delaware River in PA. Started a bit slowly, because the group of youngsters occupying our site were just rolling out of bed at check in. The place was peaceful and quiet most of the week, but around Thursday, many tent campers started coming in for the weekend. We looked at each other and said, “Have ANY of these people ever camped before?” It really was free entertainment! Folks walking around at night with headlamps strapped on (point it down, where you’re walking). Couple of young women trying to lift a 30 gallon open tote full of water into a hatch-back. Folks climbing up the hill to the bathroom, arms loaded down with pots and pans, to wash them in the outside sink. The worst part was all the burning of recyclables, and the leftover debris of camping equipment (gadgets, fireplace grates, camp furniture). Guess they didn’t expect to use it again, or didn’t have a place to store it. Honestly, too much disposable income, not a lick of common sense. The worst of the burners of NON-burnables were the group of retired and current firefighters camped below us.
    N
    PS There was a time when you left a small, courtesy pile of firewood in the fireplace, ready to light for the next camper.
    Last edited by Houndbb; 05-01-2019 at 01:37 AM.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really the same everywhere.........we have a rental on the beach in Alabama. It's really hard to explain what people will do with trash...........and what they will do with property that is not their own.
    We have had comforters off the beds taken down to the beach, the tub in the master used as a swimming pool for two four year old children because "it was too hot down at the beach" soaked through the floor to the next unit from splashing, we have had food left in the oven..........

but there is humanity as well, we have had way more positive experiences.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you that as a volunteer campground host I certainly appreciate the folks that pick up after themselves. But like another worker said I've seen it all. Unfortunately a lot of "camping" attitude was created in a time when the woods had an opportunity to recover before the next camper arrived. These days campgrounds get hammered week after week. So that grease or those coffee grounds that get dumped in the bushes are still there for the next camper to enjoy. Gotta poop in the middle of the night, still stinks after you left and some poor smuck is back in the bushes with a shovel cleaning up your mess so the next camper may be able to enjoy the campsite. And shower monkeys, they are always great hazmat fun.

As long as we are ranting; Pick up after your pet, most folks do now, particularly if free bags are provided, but wait, why do people leave the full poop bags laying on the ground? You have gone to all the trouble of scooping the poop up, why not deposit in a trash bin?

Also just for fun make a mental note of the amount of garbage along the side of the roads as you pass through different states. It makes for an interesting correlation study of trashiness vs. socio-economic ecology.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Kim,
    Last July, we spent a week on the Delaware River in PA. Started a bit slowly, because the group of youngsters occupying our site were just rolling out of bed at check in. The place was peaceful and quiet most of the week, but around Thursday, many tent campers started coming in for the weekend. We looked at each other and said, “Have ANY of these people ever camped before?” It really was free entertainment! Folks walking around at night with headlamps strapped on (point it down, where you’re walking). Couple of young women trying to lift a 30 gallon open tote full of water into a hatch-back. Folks climbing up the hill to the bathroom, arms loaded down with pots and pans, to wash them in the outside sink. The worst part was all the burning of recyclables, and the leftover debris of camping equipment (gadgets, fireplace grates, camp furniture). Guess they didn’t expect to use it again, or didn’t have a place to store it. Honestly, too much disposable income, not a lick of common sense. The worst of the burners of NON-burnables were the group of retired and current firefighters camped below us.
    N
    PS There was a time when you left a small, courtesy pile of firewood in the fireplace, ready to light for the next camper.
    I sometimes leave a pile of firewood stacked in the vicinity of the fire ring/pit when I have some left over. No need to haul it around and it's frowned upon to bring firewood in from a different area in WA. So I'll buy some locally and leave it behind if I don't use it. I've also been the recipient of same.
    As our campgrounds become more and more popular it's imperative that we do our best to leave as few traces behind as possible. With our mostly self contained RV's it's not hard to do. Leave the space as you'd like to find it, haul your crap out. We frequent state and county parks, most every one of them has a dumpster, many have recycle stations. If not, we take it to a proper disposal site or take it home. Not hard.
    IMHO, the job of the campground volunteer hosts such as Dallas should be to greet folks, give directions, keep an eye out for safety concerns, know some history of the area and maybe help out with some maintenance chores like mowing or towing a dumpster to the pick up site and to enjoy their extended time in the park helping out. The park Rangers should have more time for rangering and less time for bathroom duty.
    The vast majority of folks I've encountered camping are respectful and considerate. It's the few who aren't that leave largest impression. Guess I'm a little ranty today. My apologies.

Dallas, when I'm able, I hope to be one of those campground hosts but I draw the line at bathroom duty.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Dallas, when I'm able, I hope to be one of those campground hosts but I draw the line at bathroom duty.
    Good news, the state of Washington does not require their campground hosts to be primarily responsible for bathroom/shower cleaning. They do ask that you do spot checks, as the staff will clean once a day, but during busy weekends it's good to resupply the toilet paper and make sure there are no shower monkeys. Staff is on call to correct these deficiencies should they upset your delicate sensibilities.

In WA we have hosted at Deception Pass State Park (twice), Lake Wenatchee State Park, and Gingko Petrified Forest State Parks; all have been very pleasant rewarding experiences. There is a lot to learn if you want to pursue volunteering, PM me if you want the skinny.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always taught this in scouting, Always leave it better than you found it. Hey, pick it up and dispose of it properly by tossing it out the window on the highway on the way home like everyone else does.
    WPS
    Imagine 2250RK 2018
    Silverado 2018 1/2 Ton, 5.3L V8 3.42

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a drunk camp host walk into our camp (USFS) after dark from the darkness beyond the light of the fire with a chainsaw in hand to "scare the girls" who were pre-teen at the time. I was not funny at all and got serious when he actually fired it up within a step or two of any of the dozen folks sitting around the fire. I drew my weapon (completely legal), ran him off, and reported it to the Forest Ranger the next day (no cell coverage, if we even had cell phones then). He was fired on the spot. Yes, I would have..

To the point, we keep our site clean and is the same when we leave.. feels good.
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I always leave our site clean including fire pit. It is so frustrating for us to see how messy people can be we just don’t get it . How would they feel if someone came in their yard and house and left trash not much I’m sure

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Good news, the state of Washington does not require their campground hosts to be primarily responsible for bathroom/shower cleaning. They do ask that you do spot checks, as the staff will clean once a day, but during busy weekends it's good to resupply the toilet paper and make sure there are no shower monkeys. Staff is on call to correct these deficiencies should they upset your delicate sensibilities.

In WA we have hosted at Deception Pass State Park (twice), Lake Wenatchee State Park, and Gingko Petrified Forest State Parks; all have been very pleasant rewarding experiences. There is a lot to learn if you want to pursue volunteering, PM me if you want the skinny.
    Alright, I’m new to GD and the owners forum, most terms I can get like TT, TV etc. But what the heck is a shower monkey, or maybe I don’t want to know?

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Davidsofia, I am not new to this forum and also never heard of that "thing" I can already tell you right now that I don't like it.......whatever it is. It's just gross I know. Hope D2 does not respond......ever!! Just kidding, I like his stories.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast