User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seasonal site setup. How do you block up your trailer?

I’m going to set up my new 2019 315RLTS at a seasonal site. Where is the best place to support the trailer? Looking for ideas. What materials to use. The trailer is going to stay there all year long. TIA.

Lou

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadguy View Post
    I’m going to set up my new 2019 315RLTS at a seasonal site. Where is the best place to support the trailer? Looking for ideas. What materials to use. The trailer is going to stay there all year long. TIA.

Lou

I am going seasonal as well and interested what others are doing to support. I'm thinking for right now just putting boards down on top of the gravel for each tire right now.

Dave

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that most would agree (including the tire/suspension manufacturers) that the weight should be lifted off the tires.
    Other factors will then come into this.

How high can the trailer be from the ground? Blocking at the frame will raise the trailer about 6" from it's ride height.
    Do you want to (or does the park allow you to) remove the tires? This would allow you to block at the frame but bring the trailer back to normal ride height.

I store with weight off the tires by lifting at the axles https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...9693#post99693 but this means that the trailer is still sitting on its springs which makes it more "bouncy" than blocked at the frame.

If you decide to block up the frame, the blocking that takes most of the weight should be as close to the tires as possible, to carry the weight in the same way that the suspension does. Blocking at the far ends of the frame can make the trailer as stable as a house, but can actually change the shape of the frame rails enough to cause slides to bind and cabinet doors to not fit correctly.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I think that most would agree (including the tire/suspension manufacturers) that the weight should be lifted off the tires.
    Other factors will then come into this.

How high can the trailer be from the ground? Blocking at the frame will raise the trailer about 6" from it's ride height.
    Do you want to (or does the park allow you to) remove the tires? This would allow you to block at the frame but bring the trailer back to normal ride height.

I store with weight off the tires by lifting at the axles https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...9693#post99693 but this means that the trailer is still sitting on its springs which makes it more "bouncy" than blocked at the frame.

If you decide to block up the frame, the blocking that takes most of the weight should be as close to the tires as possible, to carry the weight in the same way that the suspension does. Blocking at the far ends of the frame can make the trailer as stable as a house, but can actually change the shape of the frame rails enough to cause slides to bind and cabinet doors to not fit correctly.

Rob

After talking with Josh at Layzee Acres in Orillia, Ontario were I bought the trailer, I've decided to let them block up the trailer since they are going to deliver it.
    He said they would use cottage pads and cinder blocks. This size of trailer would need 8 pillars. They typically just take the majority of the weight off the tires. The blocking itself goes right to the frame.

Anyone agree or disagree? It sounds right to me.

Lou

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use 4 blocks at the frame beside all 4 tires , then use the stability jacks on the 4 corners , should be sufficient. After a month of use or even regularly you may want to check the jacks and make sure they are not to tight , they may get tight from settling of the trailer blocks. I would also leave a little pressure on the tongue jack. As mentioned above you will want to maintain the proper frame geometry to keep everything working properly.

Brian

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to play Devil's Advocate, Please DO NOT do this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hi-Rise 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	26924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hi-rise 2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	26925

This was set up a few days ago 5 sites down from our Solitude. I took the pic from a boat in the water. Walking past it appears that all of the cement block pillars are leaning downhill. They used a backhoe to lift the front that high. There is at least five feet clearance under the unit...We're thinking basement storage?

We were just wondering if anyone else thinks this was a bad idea? Would you do this?
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,