Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Hitch Mounted Storage Box

Hi ya'll: Has anyone employed a storage box on to the rear receiver? Something that doesn't wobble around, is leak and theft proof, that will hold up to 300 lbs? Plastic or something. A diamond plate type box would have its own weight; I'm thinking something lighter.
    Howson: have you ever thought of this to help offset your weight issues? I was thinking of putting my air compressor and new Yamaha generator back there. That would be 100lbs right there off the hitch/TV.

DD.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought about same, haven't pulled trigger. Looking for something to fit my travel green egg and Blackstone mainly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a Romo Tech . A couple of reviews from RV'ers convinced me to try it. There's a $109 shipping charge but Northern Tool took $50 off the purchase price to help. I'll be sure to post the results after installing it on to my TT

DD
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posting back after a trip with box. Reviews stated upon assembly the marks for the holes don't line up with the heavy duty bracket. True. One hole required a re-drill to match. Also stated was the latches don't line up with strikers. True, but it makes for a tighter latch, so no problem. One installed on to trailer it kind of hangs out farther than I like. Once snugged all the way into receiver you can still open lid without hitting trailer. I am going to mark a new hole location for hitch pin and have it drilled. Less chance of the box moving while driving. Otherwise it served its purpose well. I was able to put a lot of light weight but space consuming items in there, like the container for the stinky slinky and all the attachments, folding table, rolled up rugs, wash and wax equipment, stabilizer pads, my Texas flag, etc.
    All in all a good purchase.

DD.
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darwin & Linda
    Southern, Idaho
    2014 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes sir, your original post of your well engineered modification is what gave me the idea. But mine is a starter kit compared to yours. What's the noise level like inside the rig when the generators are running?? Vibrations?? With all that effort one would think you'd have gone solar, but you say you spend a lot of time in forests, so I see your logic. I like the spare tire addition too!!!!
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS