User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our long journey to get here

Hey All!

We finally did it. We're now Full-Timers. It was a long journey to get here.

We started it all late summer 2017. We knew we wanted to retire sooner rather than later, and had the idea of full-timing in an RV once we retired. My wonderful husband followed me throughout the years as I moved around for work. But we knew that once retired, we really did not want to stay in New Mexico. It's a great place, but having grown up near the Jersey shore, we knew we wanted to get back to water, and sea level. We didn’t know where we would land, and still don't. But this is one way to find where, and now it's my turn to follow my husband.

We started the RV thoughts in the summer of 2017. We began looking at RV's, all kinds of them. We did research on manufacturer's, models, and more. We visited numerous dealers, walked through what seemed like hundreds and hundreds of models. We researched what we could tow, how much, and more, and we verified, re-verified, and then verified again. With exhaustive research, we eventually settled on Grand Design, then it became a matter of the model. Again, we verified and re-confirmed, and still confirmed and re-verified what we could tow. On an annual trip to Mexico, we spent countless hours emailing back and forth with the salesman, continuing to ask questions. Once back home, the very next day, we put down the deposit that would start our adventure. We ordered ours, as I wanted certain things.... dual pane windows, king bed, 2nd ac, table with bench seating for the storage, different steps (don't remember which ones, but they sit flat on the ground for better support), and the all-important washer/dryer that I will not be without (bad experiences with laundromats, ugh.... never again!) We also knew that would limit our weight ability. But we knew the give and take that goes with what we were planning to do.

With nearly 40 years together, and having cleaned out 2 parental households, we discovered just how much is accumulated. We decided early on what was important for us to keep, knowing we will eventually land somewhere. All else was just stuff. It was bitter-sweet, but we kept our focus on the "prize". We began the selling and giving away of stuff in Dec 2017, and made the decisions as to what was going, and to where. And, it felt good.

We took delivery of our "home" in Feb 2018. We listed our home in the Spring of 2018, and kept down-sizing, and waiting for a buyer. Nothing happened. We went through the remainder of 2018 always hoping for a buyer to come along. But things happen for a reason, right? Family issues from both our sides needed our help first and foremost. The house listing expired at the end of 2018, so we decided to take a step back and re-group.

We re-listed late Feb 2019. Within a few days, we had a first showing, and nothing. Then a few days later, a second showing, and that night we had an offer on our house. Thus began the last push to get everything done. We got a storage unit and began storing stuff, we found a local RV park for our “roving home” and moved it there, and we gave away last minute items. I have to say…LOL…first thing before actually towing to our site was getting those Westlake tires off and putting on Goodyear Endurance tires!

We closed on the house on April 19th. It’s the end of one chapter, but now we begin a new chapter. This was a long story, and it was a long journey. But through it all, we kept the faith.

We look forward to maybe meeting some of you out there, somewhere….
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely a great story, and a big Congratulations on the next chapter about to unfold.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    Hey All!

We finally did it. We're now Full-Timers. It was a long journey to get here.

snip It’s the end of one chapter, but now we begin a new chapter. This was a long story, and it was a long journey. But through it all, we kept the faith.

We look forward to maybe meeting some of you out there, somewhere….
    Congratulations Lynette & Steve! Now enjoy the next chapter! Great Stories like yours keeps us going forward!
    We are in the process stage of selling and giving away stuff. Hope to have that stage done before end of year. Intend to list the house next spring.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    .....Great Stories like yours keeps us going forward!
    Thanks everyone! It was all the great stories from this forum that kept us going forward!
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Lynette and Steve. Thanks for the story, it is those details about the ups and downs that helps all of us know that it can be done, and sometimes things don't happen on the schedule we plan. I think you have the ultimate tow vehicle for that TT, they sure don't make those (Diesel Excursions) anymore and everyone I have know with one has held on to it as long as they can.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new chapter. I think there are a lot of people who can relate to your story. Keep dreaming and Happy Camping!
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great and well written story. I hope you both have a fantastic adventure wherever the road leads you!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch