User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVLife68 View Post
    You raise some valid points. However, as “Newbies” to the 5er world and perhaps to towing in general. I’d recommend an auto slide. I feel the KISS formula will keep them out of danger. Having to move or pull extra levers and then forget to put the hitch in the forwards HIGHWAY position. Having to get out and pull a lever when you find yourself in a congested tight turn route. Say you end up downtown by accident. That’s not the time to be getting in and out of the truck. But holes beeping horns. Others just oblivious. No thanks. KISS for me. Just my opinion. Everyone has their own comfort zone
    KISS is a relative thing. I have a short box F350 with the B&W manual slider and consider it simpler than an auto slider as it stays put until I tell it to do otherwise. I can turn as sharp as possible when moving forward and still have plenty of room between the cab and the cap of my 260RD.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got curious do you have the same safe turning radius as a slider?
    I don't think turning radius is ever the issue if your bed is 6'-4", you have the puck system and the hitch is over the axle. I don't have a slider and I can turn 360s in an intersection. I've pulled off some tight turns. It's when you're backing up and jack-knifing the trailer that you might wish you had a slider. But when you're doing that, you're actually pushing the trailer wheels sideways instead of rolling them.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    KISS is a relative thing. I have a short box F350 with the B&W manual slider and consider it simpler than an auto slider as it stays put until I tell it to do otherwise. I can turn as sharp as possible when moving forward and still have plenty of room between the cab and the cap of my 260RD.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    I don't think turning radius is ever the issue if your bed is 6'-4", you have the puck system and the hitch is over the axle. I don't have a slider and I can turn 360s in an intersection. I've pulled off some tight turns. It's when you're backing up and jack-knifing the trailer that you might wish you had a slider. But when you're doing that, you're actually pushing the trailer wheels sideways instead of rolling them.
    I’m not sure what you mean by turning 360s in an intersection. This would be impressive hauling a 5er and doing a complete 360 in an intersection?? As to backing up and pushing the wheels. I’ve seen plenty of trucks with blown out rear truck windows and damaged rear cab. This was because they were “pushing tires”. You shouldn’t do it but plenty have.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can make a u turn in the residential street I live on with my 24' gooseneck, but it requires jackknifing the trailer to the point that even the gooseneck almost hits the cab. Not anything I would ever attempt with a 5th wheel. I only do it when my goose is empty too, and the tires actually turn in different directions when I do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not sure what you mean by turning 360s in an intersection. This would be impressive hauling a 5er and doing a complete 360 in an intersection?? As to backing up and pushing the wheels. I’ve seen plenty of trucks with blown out rear truck windows and damaged rear cab. This was because they were “pushing tires”. You shouldn’t do it but plenty have.
    That is what I meant. When I picked up my trailer, I had the B&W hitch installed the same day. We were adjusting the hitch for position so hooked up and took it to the street with the mechanic walking with me keeping an eye on clearances, etc. I was able to do complete donuts in the intersection. The trailer never really threatened to crash the cab. I hope I never get into a situation that requires backing up so sharply.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    That is what I meant. When I picked up my trailer, I had the B&W hitch installed the same day. We were adjusting the hitch for position so hooked up and took it to the street with the mechanic walking with me keeping an eye on clearances, etc. I was able to do complete donuts in the intersection. The trailer never really threatened to crash the cab. I hope I never get into a situation that requires backing up so sharply.
    Oh I get it now. This is not real world situation but rather a Sunday manoeuvre. Still impressive though. I haven’t tested the turning ability of this momentum without a sliding hitch but I’d assume it could handle the poor turning radius of the F350 lol.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I have the exact same setup. Picked up the truck two weeks ago, put on 1100 miles, got the trailer yesterday. Factory under-bed fifth wheel package and factory goose-neck ball and puck system. I went with the Anderson, and it towed the 105 miles home from the dealer like a dream. No chucking, bucking, wiggling or waving. Looking forward to the first trip next week
    We have the same setup with the Anderson hitch on a B&W goose-neck. The tech at the RV dealership told us about a newly purchased 5th wheel (36ft) that came back to the dealership damaged during a hard braking incident after being cut-off in traffic. He said the Anderson hitch had bent forwards and collapsed, so he wasn't a fan. We are new to 5th wheels but have towed for 20+ years. We have heard nothing but good things about the Anderson hitch. While shopping for our new 5th wheel, the RV dealerships we visited also had good things to say about this hitch with one saying they couldn't keep them stocked as it's their #1 selling hitch. Now that you had some time towing with the Anderson hitch, have you had any issues?

Oh, by the way, we were also on our maiden tow bringing our new 303RLS home from the dealership. There's nothing like a scary story before setting out on the open roads, I prefer to hear those type stories sitting at a campfire.
    Last edited by DJonesteam; 05-18-2019 at 03:36 AM. Reason: adding signature line

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I have the exact same setup. Picked up the truck two weeks ago, put on 1100 miles, got the trailer yesterday. Factory under-bed fifth wheel package and factory goose-neck ball and puck system. I went with the Anderson, and it towed the 105 miles home from the dealer like a dream. No chucking, bucking, wiggling or waving. Looking forward to the first trip next week
    We have the same setup with the Anderson hitch on a B&W goose-neck. The tech at the RV dealership told us about a newly purchased 5th wheel (36ft) that came back to the dealership damaged during a hard braking incident after being cut-off in traffic. He said the Anderson hitch had bent forwards and collapsed, so he wasn't a fan. We are new to 5th wheels but have towed for 20+ years. We have heard nothing but good things about the Anderson hitch. While shopping for our new 5th wheel, the RV dealerships we visited also had good things to say about this hitch with one saying they couldn't keep them stocked as it's their #1 selling hitch. Now that you had some time towing with the Anderson hitch, have you had any issues?

Oh, by the way, we were also on our maiden tow bringing our new 303RLS home from the dealership. There's nothing like a scary story before setting out on the open roads, I prefer to hear those type stories sitting at a campfire.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJonesteam View Post

There is a post on this forum regarding the hitch collapse and a lot of speculation about what actually happened. More questions than answers, but I believe there is more to the story than what was originally posted.

We just finished up our first trip of nearly 600 miles with absolutely no issues. Love the hitch for ease of hook-up, which we did three times. The ride and handling were great.

Our dealer also said that the Andersen was their best-selling hitch and that they had not seen any returns, issues or complaints.

I'm talking it out tomorrow so that I can haul a load of mulch in the truck and am so looking forward to the light weight and easy removal.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

I thought I would come back and report that we went with the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel connection hitch. Picked up our new F350 last Thursday, and picked up our 303RLS this past Monday. All went well, clearances are good so far, with Pace Edwards Ultragroove Metal tonneau cover installed. Time will tell on uneven surfaces if there are any concerns, and will be keeping a close eye on things whenever we have to maneuver into any tight spaces. Thanks for the advice and info that was provided here! We got it home and are slowly getting it set up and learning how to use everything. Only problem so far is the awning over the slide is out and won't retract, blowing fuse every time we try. Working with dealer on trying to resolve, will probably have to retract manually and take it in, so a bit of a hassle... hopefully nothing else big.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190624_203152158_iOS.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	20998

Name:	20190624_204604884_iOS.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	20996

Name:	20190624_204834473_iOS.jpg