User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom and Janice - just saw this post as i am trying to figure out what hitch to go with. Do you have a long bed or standard? What has your experience been since you posted your comments last May? Any other comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter & Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the short bed crew cab. Experience has been all good so far. We’ve taken a couple of short trips and a 3 week trip through New England with no issues at all and are very happy with our choice.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJOB View Post
    Hi Tom and Janice - just saw this post as i am trying to figure out what hitch to go with. Do you have a long bed or standard? What has your experience been since you posted your comments last May? Any other comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter & Nancy

Lovin’ it. We have put about 4,000 miles on the combination. We’ve hit highways, byways, and everything in-between. We’ve been uphill and down, and it’s great. No bucking (except for the bs they call freeways around Detroit) and a very smooth ride/pull.

We have the short-bed (6’ 9”) 350. We are currently on a six-week trip down the east coast to Savannah, then coming back up through the mountains of West Virginia. No issues to date. I went to Tractor Supply and got a piece of 1/4” horse stall mat (very dense rubber) to put under it and protect the bed. Over the winter, I took it out and hung it on the garage wall. Before our current trip, I put on a hard, roll-up, bed cover (Pace-Edwards) and will only take the hitch out if I need to use the bed for something else.

Can’t speak highly enough of the set-up.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I went to Tractor Supply and got a piece of 1/4” horse stall mat (very dense rubber) to put under it and protect the bed. Over the winter, I took it out and hung it on the garage wall. Before our current trip, I put on a hard, roll-up, bed cover (Pace-Edwards) and will only take the hitch out if I need to use the bed for something else."

Thanks for sharing! I am curious as to why you put a mat or bed cover under the hitch?
    Also, any issue with tight turns? Either the trailer hitting the back of the cab or the pin box hitting the bed rails? Do you have the ball coupler in the forward or back position?

Thanks,
    Peter & Nancy

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also follow things on the Ford forums. There appear to be some issues with the factory spray-in bed lining not adhering to the bed, in some cases. Wanting to be proactive, I wanted to put a little cushion between the bed liner and the hitch. 1/4 inch looked and felt about right.

No issue with tight turns. I’m always cautious, and the wife watches things when they are close, but no issues. I haven’t measured or looked real close, but I believe that we could get close to, if not at, 90 degrees. I don’t like to cut things that tightly, due to the stress that it puts on the trailer tires and suspension, so I just pull up a little and take a straighter shot at the run.

We have the adapter reversed, so that the pin is deeper into the bed when hitched. With it in the forward position, I think that it might hit the bed rails, due to the extra length from the kingpin to the rear of the trailer frame. With it reversed, the only issue appears to be the tailgate could hit the front of the trailer, if you were hooking at an angle. When we are hooking, I back most of the way under, with the tailgate down, then put it in park, apply the brake, and my wife steps in and raises the bed. Lots of clearance that way, no chance of hitting the trailer with the tailgate.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345