User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you stored this outside water wicks it’s way into the awning from the sides while rolled up. I cut the tops off 2 milk jugs, cut a slit in sides and slide one over each end. Keeps the water out pretty well.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friends daughter who works in the jungle shared the issue of mildew on stuff. Buy cheap dandruff shampoo, mix in water, spray or wet the awning with it then roll up. There is a fungicide in it that works well to keep mildew down. Not sure you can make it too strong.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a mixture of Simple Green, bleach & water which I spray on the awning with a quality sprayer, then roll it up and let sit for an hour. After an hour I roll it out and with a micro fiber pad on telescoping pole I scrub both sides then rinse with a hose.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dark awning and am getting white spots and streaks on it - think this is mildew? Previous camper had a light colored awning and it was black spots and streak that I had to deal with - the bleach, soap, and water mix worked okay except for leaf stains.

On this awning that mixture doesn't seem to work as well; I have to scrub the areas with a stiff bristle brush after spraying it down with a mixture of bleach, soap, and water applied with a garden sprayer.

Anyway, curious if anyone else is seeing white spots on their brown or black awnings...and what they are and how to clean them.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    I have a dark awning and am getting white spots and streaks on it - think this is mildew? Previous camper had a light colored awning and it was black spots and streak that I had to deal with - the bleach, soap, and water mix worked okay except for leaf stains.

On this awning that mixture doesn't seem to work as well; I have to scrub the areas with a stiff bristle brush after spraying it down with a mixture of bleach, soap, and water applied with a garden sprayer.

Anyway, curious if anyone else is seeing white spots on their brown or black awnings...and what they are and how to clean them.
    See the first picture in post #6 , above-not so much white, but yellow. Since we all tend to camp near trees, I believe the buildup is a combo of pollen, tree flower parts, leaf debris and, of course, mold. Sure gets stuck on good! I’ll not get on the porch roof to clean it again, but we widened our home parking spot so that we can at least put the ladder up at either end. Brushing/mopping the solution is a must, and I think a protective coating with any product intended for vinyl keeps it looking clean longer, especially if you rinse it periodically.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12