User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leveling Jacks Use in Permanent Site

We will soon be putting our new Solitude on a permanent site at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach, SC. If the Good Lord is willing we will likely use it there for the next five years then probably sell it after that. My plan is to level the rig then use stacks of concrete blocks and wedges to support the rig. I will likely partially skirt the trailer (front, entry side and back). Should I leave the leveling jacks down or retract them once I am sure the trailer is sufficiently supported by the blocks? I've spoken to one other site lease holder with a 5th wheel and he said he blocked the rig but also left the jacks down.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I would leave the jacks down in the event one of the concrete blocks cracked or shifted due to trailer movement, but I'm no structural engineer, just an opinion. We have another camper that is permanently at an RV resort we use as a beach cabin (it's right on a beach). That camper along with many others is supported by concrete blocks, it also has its stabilizer jacks down (not really comparable to the hydraulic jacks). There are all different setups with some campers a few feet off the ground sitting on blocks, some just on their wheels and jacks. I dont know which is the right answer, I would go with whatever you feel is the safest and most secure method.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that the hydraulic rams would survive better if they were retracted. Once the blocks are in place, the levelling jacks won’t be adding much. You might want to cycle the jacks down and back up, once in a while.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I would think that the hydraulic rams would survive better if they were retracted. Once the blocks are in place, the levelling jacks won’t be adding much. You might want to cycle the jacks down and back up, once in a while.

Rob
    I was thinking the same. Regardless of whether I leave the jacks up or down, I probably should cycle them periodically to make sure they stay in working condition.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the salt air, I would put the jacks up to protect the shafts as much as possible.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to call LCI tech support and their recommendation was to use blocks, leave jacks down, cycle them once a month and spray the rams with silicone.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]