User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joined the Leaky Seal Club :)

In preparing for the thousands of miles we plan on RVing in the next two months I wanted to make sure the bearings were serviced, check the WEAK trailer brakes and install new Goodyear's. Upon inspection the RV shop found the right side brakes to be totally soaked in grease, and the left front to be contaminated. No wonder at level 10 I still was barely getting any braking action from the TT. I never saw any external evidence of leakage. Sent nice email to Lippert on Saturday, and received a (probably automatic) claim number. Neither Lippert or GD works weekends apparently. I will call both tomorrow and pursue replacement of all the brake assemblies as I have read happens to some folks. Some have stated Lippert even sprang for a total Disc brake swap.

I told the shop I'm doing them all regardless. I hope Lippert responds favorably. I'm taking pictures tomorrow and having the shop save all the old parts. My only issue is I purchased the rig used in January. I hope they don't pull the sorry, 2nd owner rig-a-ma-roll. It was still a mechanical defect weather 1 owner or many, in my mind.

Thoughts from my fellow Forum friends who have had success with Lippert/GD, and a used TT?

DD.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin' Dreamers View Post
    Thoughts from my fellow Forum friends who have had success with...[a warranty claim] on a used TT?
    Probably not the answer you want to read...so I'll just say you've got a very appropriate forum name.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hoping for a good outcome for you.
    Could you please provide a little more info,
    Month and year of manufacture, and these are Lippert axels I presume.

Brian

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have luck calling LCI directly, I dont know how much they look into if you are the 2nd owner. They would most likely send you or the repair shop new backing plate assemblies. I recommend replacing the bearings unless you or the repair shop will clean all of the old grease off the bearings (not worth the time if you ask me) . I hope they approve a claim for you, if not, Etrailer sells the backing plate assemblies for about $50 per wheel. I wouldn't hold my breath on them approving a disc brake swap, that's a very rare occurrence and I think only one person on here got that approval that I can recall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As more and more time passes, there is probably less of a chance for reimbursement. But it's sure worth a shot.

And as a gentle reminder, all lippert axles are supposed to have the drums removed, brakes inspected, and bearings serviced every 12 months, regardless of mileage. If any other owners have lippert axles that haven't been serviced, it's time.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MFG date is 2-2-17. Lippert axles.
    FT4NOW-You say install new bearings?-Did the soup Lippert put in their have a history of causing metallurgic damage??
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    I am hoping for a good outcome for you.
    Could you please provide a little more info,
    Month and year of manufacture, and these are Lippert axels I presume.

Brian
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Probably not the answer you want to read...so I'll just say you've got a very appropriate forum name.
    Wrongy Dongy !!!
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin' Dreamers View Post
    MFG date is 2-2-17. Lippert axles.
    FT4NOW-You say install new bearings?-Did the soup Lippert put in their have a history of causing metallurgic damage??
    No damage I know of, but the time to properly clean that garbage they put on the bearings didn't seem worth it to me. When I replaced my brake assemblies I purchased new bearings to ensure I only had new grease on the bearings. The bearings weren't covered under warranty, but LCI did send me all new brake assemblies.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copy that !
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    No damage I know of, but the time to properly clean that garbage they put on the bearings didn't seem worth it to me. When I replaced my brake assemblies I purchased new bearings to ensure I only had new grease on the bearings. The bearings weren't covered under warranty, but LCI did send me all new brake assemblies.

2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, went to the repair shop today to take pics. Spoke to Lippert before hand and they took some info and explained what they wanted pics of......
    Spoke to GD who reiterated its out of warranty, I'm the 2nd owner, and its a Lippert part, not GD. But let us know the outcome. Fair enough, at this point.
    But what a mess! Grease residue all over the shoes and inside the backing plates, magnets scored, brake shoe material was chunking off at the edges and scored on the contact areas. Weird.
    Took home all the old parts to salvage what I can. Will call Lippert tomorrow.............
    But man! My new Goodyear Endurances look awesome !!!
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast