User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Aside from legal and paperwork type items which are all easily handled, the biggest issue is being comfortable. Some people just need to have a nest, a home base to call their own or they won't be happy. Others won't be happy in a tiny space. They either need a shop to work in or a garage or somewhere to get away. Some people don't like to give up their things.

It also helps if she's been RV'ing and knows what to expect. If not, I'd suggest doing that first, short trips and let her get used to it. Don't force it unless you don't care where things end up between the two of you. Some people just don't do well in small, confined spaces or giving up their "home" with their "things".

We've full timed off and on for 11 years now. First stint was 8 years and then we took a break and did some real estate investments, fixed up some properties while living in them and then sold them. Did that for a few years and now back and full time again for a year now. We have a home base, an owned RV lot in Florida that we use as our "home". I think that helps my wife with the "home" aspect. We have an address, a place that is home and we vacation. Doesn't matter if we are gone 3 days or 2 months at a pop, its a vacation.

Anyway, you can live in anything. People live in Tents that barely keep the rain out to Yurts that are nicer than many people's houses. You can live in a cave, a tiny house, mansion, etc. Some people define themselves by their things and those people might have issues with being in a "trailer park" or living in a "camper". There is a certain stigma of trailer park trash when you bring it up sometimes.

The first step is getting used to the idea of downsizing, then looking at the floor plans that fit your lifestyle. After then it is just a matter of pretending to live in there for a few days. Go to the dealer and sit in there. Play house, get used to it. We had RV'd in the past, so we knew what we were getting into. We were saying "why are we paying for this massive house, taxes etc when everything we need is here". Eventually we just decided to sell everything but the rental properties and try it. We rented at first, lot to lot moving around seeing what we liked and eventually after 2 years bought where we are now. Every single part we were both on board 100%.

That really is key. Getting her on board. Not just kind of, not I'll do it for you type deal. She won't be happy. Get her into it, let her fall in love with the lifestyle like many of us did when we went camping for the first time and start your memories there.

If you have specific questions, fire away.
    Could you please tell me about the rv lot in florida? I would like to check into that. Thanks...........................Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a broad question, but for us at least we just found that we got restless after 2 years of doing the same routine. Even when we achieved the "American Dream" with a nice 3000 sqft house, 2 paid off cars, good job, etc. Still restless! Found out about RVing through some friends, did online research, launched on our own fulltime journey in February this year and loving it so far. Ask me again in 1.5 years though...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out youtube KYD ( Keep your daydream) great couple, very inforantive and easy to watch, they have 6 seasons, starting with the first trailer then through the years,, great series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has posted excellent responses so far. There are many ways to fulltime. We own an RV Lot in south Florida as fishing, kayaking/canoeing are my hobbies. It's on the water with access to the gulf of mexico and within Everglades National Park. This is where we are heading now and will stay from Nov - May or June depending on plans for the summer. If we remain healthy, envision ourselves traveling all over the US and Canada until we see all the states. When we find that there is another state other than Florida that we would think is worth spending the summer at, will look at monthly stays or maybe buying another lot.

Having an RV lot for the season gives me my needed sense of community, excited to see friends again and a rest from traveling. The cost is fixed so we know that when all else fails we can stay there and can count on paying X number of dollars for condo association fees, taxes, water and electric. The resort includes wifi and cable with the condo fees. When we are done with RV life we can sell the lot and put that money towards something else.

Fulltiming and traveling all the time is not easy to do and both of you have to want to do this. Things will break that needs to be fixed ASAP and you have to be handy. I was out hiking and broke my ankle two weeks ago. Now stuck in Arkansas (not a bad place to be stuck at) but only have use of one leg. Not easy getting around stairs in the RV on one leg. Luckily my partner can take down and set up the rig just like I can if anything happened to her. So life happens while you RV and all has to be planned for in case it does.
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 09-26-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123