User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros and Cons of Full Timing

Hello,

This is my 2nd post (1st being in the Introduction section).

My wife is on the fence about Full Timing in a 397TH. (more specific)

Can you guys help me out with what was your pros and cons list when you decided to buy and Full Time?

Thanks!
    Loyd
    Last edited by gobama84; 05-06-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go over to the Escapees forums and RV-Dreams.com and read, read, read. You'll find everything you want to know. (There's almost no way to answer everything, either - you might want to make you question more specific.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I did edit to add a 397TH.

Loyd

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobama84 View Post
    Thanks I did edit to add a 397TH.

Loyd
    Loyd,

Full-timing little to do with what kind of rig you're in (Class A, Class C, fifth wheel, TT, etc.) and everything to do with:

1) legal domicile
    2) health care and providers
    3) drivers' licenses and vehicle registration
    4) taxes
    5) "The Purge" and selling your home
    6) moving/touring vs. being static in a permanent site (not really full-timing to some)

... and the list goes on. Like I said, join the Escapees forums and RV-Dreams.com. Howard Payne on RV-Dreams has a LOT of reference materials on going full-time. The Escapees RV Club is the oldest and largest group focused on full-time RVing. Between the two, you can learn everything you need to know without people reinventing the wheel.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Too broad a question really and there’s already hundreds of articles on this and dozens of threads here discussing that topic.
    Ya just need to spend some time reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from legal and paperwork type items which are all easily handled, the biggest issue is being comfortable. Some people just need to have a nest, a home base to call their own or they won't be happy. Others won't be happy in a tiny space. They either need a shop to work in or a garage or somewhere to get away. Some people don't like to give up their things.

It also helps if she's been RV'ing and knows what to expect. If not, I'd suggest doing that first, short trips and let her get used to it. Don't force it unless you don't care where things end up between the two of you. Some people just don't do well in small, confined spaces or giving up their "home" with their "things".

We've full timed off and on for 11 years now. First stint was 8 years and then we took a break and did some real estate investments, fixed up some properties while living in them and then sold them. Did that for a few years and now back and full time again for a year now. We have a home base, an owned RV lot in Florida that we use as our "home". I think that helps my wife with the "home" aspect. We have an address, a place that is home and we vacation. Doesn't matter if we are gone 3 days or 2 months at a pop, its a vacation.

Anyway, you can live in anything. People live in Tents that barely keep the rain out to Yurts that are nicer than many people's houses. You can live in a cave, a tiny house, mansion, etc. Some people define themselves by their things and those people might have issues with being in a "trailer park" or living in a "camper". There is a certain stigma of trailer park trash when you bring it up sometimes.

The first step is getting used to the idea of downsizing, then looking at the floor plans that fit your lifestyle. After then it is just a matter of pretending to live in there for a few days. Go to the dealer and sit in there. Play house, get used to it. We had RV'd in the past, so we knew what we were getting into. We were saying "why are we paying for this massive house, taxes etc when everything we need is here". Eventually we just decided to sell everything but the rental properties and try it. We rented at first, lot to lot moving around seeing what we liked and eventually after 2 years bought where we are now. Every single part we were both on board 100%.

That really is key. Getting her on board. Not just kind of, not I'll do it for you type deal. She won't be happy. Get her into it, let her fall in love with the lifestyle like many of us did when we went camping for the first time and start your memories there.

If you have specific questions, fire away.
    Last edited by Aridon; 05-06-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gobama84,

A lot depends on your hobbies/interests (and your wife's). If these need space or stuff, full timing is going to be difficult. We "snowbird" . . . meaning 5 months at a time in the RV. The living space is fine for the two of us (and the critters in our avatar). I miss my workshop space at home and my tools. Cate misses the space to entertain guests or family. You just can't invite two or three couples over for dinner in a 300 sq ft trailer. There are "work-arounds" . . . but for us the best work-around is having our sticks and bricks for the other 7 months of the year.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobama84 View Post
    My wife is on the fence about Full Timing in a 397TH. (more specific)

Can you guys help me out with what was your pros and cons list when you decided to buy and Full Time?

Thanks!
    Loyd
    Lloyd you have asked a very difficult question, it is different for every individual. If you express the reasons for your wife's hesitation that may be addressed seperatly, but because you asked for pros and cons I will attempt give a reasonable answer.

Cons
    Expensive, It takes cash flow to sustain fulltiming. A lot of folks build up their home nest and are able to reduce their cash flow significantly in their 60's.
    Repairs, they come more often that we like. Fortunately they are usually pretty easy for the average former home owner to make, these things aren't that complicated.
    Fenced in, this a new one in the last three years. When we first started there was no problem getting RV sites, in the last 3 years we have had to plan a ahead a little, particularly summer holidays.
    No support team or local knowledge. While not entirely true, there is an RV "family" willing to lend a helping hand, you don't have the long term trust and relationships that you build when you live in a town for 30 years. Modern technology makes it easier to "keep in touch", but it's not quite the same.

Pros
    Freedom to explore. Actually this is balancing point, I love to explore new places, get lost, fail, succeed. Explore. It is impossible for someone who does not go out and explore to fathom the multitude of beauty and adventure available in the different ecosystems in these United States.
    Meeting lots of wonderful adventurous people.

IMHO there are two kinds of people in the world, castle builders and nomads. If you put a castle builder in a tent on the plains they will not be happy, if you put a nomad in a castle and lock the door they will go insane. Fortunately there is the ability to compromise, explore without abandoning the castle. I have met many happy campers who travel and explore 3, 6, 9 months a year, yet return to the castle to balance themselves. I think that is pretty normal. It takes a special kind of crazy to ditch your life and wander around. But like the old saying goes, those who wander are not always lost.

Talk about it with her, tell her of your dreams and desires. Compromise.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snip I have met many happy campers who travel and explore 3, 6, 9 months a year, yet return to the castle to balance themselves. I think that is pretty normal. It takes a special kind of crazy to ditch your life and wander around. But like the old saying goes, those who wander are not always lost.

Talk about it with her, tell her of your dreams and desires. Compromise.[/QUOTE]

Well said Dallas. A couple has to be on the same page to make it work and enjoy the life. Like was also said the reasons for going full time are different for each individual or couple going their way.
    Our reasons are two fold, exploring the country and spending time closer to family.

The pros and cons have to be balanced. A couples financial picture is the main consideration. Income Vs Expenses. Maintaining a home base and RV living, have to be accounted for if keeping both.
    Many people can't do both so they eliminate the home base thinking it will be cheaper living in an RV. That is not necessarily true.

Our RV fulltime planning include, basic living expenses, domicile expenses, repair & maintenance expenses, transportation expenses, healthcare portability / insurance expenses, vehicle insurance expenses and the like all have to be accounted for and budgeted. Portable healthcare is a big issue to plan for. Then there are the personal issues to be planned, like wills and death of a spouse, final disposition and so forth. Then stopping the fulltime lifestyle, when maybe dictated, where has to be planned. There can/will be pros and cons to each category depending on each couples situation.

Yes the Escapees (old folks) Xscapers (younger people) group has a lot of great information and resources. We are members. We were for the last 42 years castle builders. Now the castle is too drafty. Going forward we will be I guess "SetExers", part of the time Setting still for awhile, part of the time nomads Exploring.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of great replies already. Another resource is a facebook group "Grand Design Full Timers".
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast