User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3 - A set of equalizers, such as Crossfires, remove the challenge of inboard tire airing.

#6 - Never heard of that. Not saying I doubt it, just a first for me. I run a set of guards at all corners because I like my truck's finish as well as the campers!

I have not personally had much issue in the snow. I run a rather aggressive tread in the Grapplers, and have 600-700lbs in the bed in winter. However, I'm not towing in that kind of weather, and if I were FTing, I'd be running away from it because I see plenty of it! Lol!
    Last edited by geotex1; 12-16-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right there with everybody else, same comments. right now have both, a 2002 Ram 2500 SRW 4x4 Club Cab short bed, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab Long bed wide hips. They both ride the same unloaded but tow totally different stability wise. Both are rear end light not towing with nothing in the bed as expected, all pickups are. when I lived up in snow county I added weight to the bed either by sand bags or a few concrete blocks.

The wife likes to take the 3500 in most cases, its a quiet diesel!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing I'll add is that when you are in parking lots in a CC/DRW, think of it this way. You are a 747 around a bunch of Cessna and Piper aircraft. When you are getting on the freeway, you are a 747, not an F-15. Keep those things in mind, and you won't be surprised or disappointed.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    One other thing I'll add is that when you are in parking lots in a CC/DRW, think of it this way. You are a 747 around a bunch of Cessna and Piper aircraft. When you are getting on the freeway, you are a 747, not an F-15. Keep those things in mind, and you won't be surprised or disappointed.
    ...except once the turbo spools and our Cummins come alive! It's incredible how much torque management is programmed into the controller in order to keep the transmissions together, even our AISIN, when taking off. Having seen the motor out, complete with all emissions intact, running on an engine dyno with a stock tune modified only to pull out torque management was downright startling looking at the horsepower and torque curves!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    ...except once the turbo spools and our Cummins come alive! It's incredible how much torque management is programmed into the controller in order to keep the transmissions together, even our AISIN, when taking off. Having seen the motor out, complete with all emissions intact, running on an engine dyno with a stock tune modified only to pull out torque management was downright startling looking at the horsepower and torque curves!
    Diesel engines in Light duty pickups have came a long way. NOW if they could just get some mileage back into them.....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new RAM 3500 DRW-Mega Cab does have the AISIN with HO diesel....will say there is noticeable difference in power and shifting compared to my previous 2015 RAM 2500 SRW without the AISIN and HO diesel. Looking forward to seeing the actual difference when I hook up the 297 RSTS.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Now that is an analogy I hadn't heard before, but its soooo true! We take the 1 ton up to Austin a few times a month, we like to go to the Central Market up there and we park way out in the parking lot but still end up around a lot of little bitty cars. Pulling out into traffic , spool up that turbo!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 12-17-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '17 F350 DRW is a great match for our 377 MBS Solitude. Pulls this close to 17K pound camper easily and safely. I usually get 9 to 10 mpg towing at 62 to 65 mph and empty 15 mpg around town and 16 to 17 mpg at posted limits. The 4.10 gearing helps in city and town driving but probably drops me down at hwy speeds about 1 mpg. I've been impressed with this truck so far and rides smoother then the 2000 F250 Scab with the short bed I had with a camper package.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	23932
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Have always owned 3/4 or 1 ton single rear axle trucks, thinking about going and driving a dually this weekend, just curious for those that have made the switch what have you noticed the most? Going back to a ton single axle may be an option for me as well, price is pretty much the same for single or dual axle.

I know parking lots will obviously be a bit more challenging, my current truck is 8' bed so know how that can be a challenge.

* Is the ride stiffer and do you feel more of the road(bumps)?

* How does it handle compared to a single axle?
    I just finished a 900 mile trip on the interstate and not once did I "feel" a truck going around me. My four tires allow the payload to be distributed better. I really think dual rear wheels is the way to go when lugging around 13,000 lbs.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all of the feedback and real world experience. I had hoped that purchasing the ProPride hitch would allow me to comfortably keep the RAM 2500 SRW but after a year of pulling it just makes "safety sense" to me to change to a RAM 3500 DRW.

No regrets buying the ProPride, it was a "noticeable" difference between it and the Equalizer hitch when it comes to sway and turning. But heading out full time on the road in a couple of months it just made sense to make the change now.

I truly appreciate all of the members with DRW that have commented and helped me understand the "piece of mind" they get from pulling with a DRW.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast