User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been planning my routes semi-manually through Google Maps and Google Earth and then dumping the route to my Android. However, I've also been running the Sygic Truck navigation app and have had nothing but accurate experience so far. You can program multiple truck-trailer combinations for weight, height, width, axles, etc. Maps are DOWNLOADED so when out of cell service you're OK. You can also route plan on your PC and push to the app.

I'm not going to kid you, it's a little spendy but the lifetime license runs on a pricing special frequently. You also get 14 days to try all the features with no commitment. It was during that trial I made the decision it works for me and bought the lifetime license with a few years of free map upgrades. I don't just tow a camper, and mountain roads are always challenging with long combinations!

FWIW...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    My thought is to use the Garmin and Google Maps if for nothing else but to check against each other before departing.
    I to use both garmin rv and google maps. The garmin RV has done very well on our trips. I usually download my trip route from RV Trip Wizard to the garmin and it does great. When i am not towing, I always use Google maps. When I am towing and google maps gives me a different route than the garmin, I go by the garmin. This has saved me a couple times from going down one lane roads.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technojerry View Post
    Does Basecamp understand your weight, height, and propane limitations to route you properly? I can appreciate looking at routes in a park specific app, but the point of the Garmin 770/780 RV is that it properly routes you base on your vehicle limitations. Using Basecamp for a motorcycle or car which has no limitations make sense, but confused why take the 770 RV out of the equation or maybe I am missing something about Basecamp that I don’t use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Krusen View Post
    No Basecamp does not allow for RV measurements. I still use it to create routes of my liking. Then before loading it I use the auto route feature on the gps and compare the two. I'll go back and change my custom route if the gps shows any problems.
    When traveling I generally use secondary roads and stay off the interstate. Don't have a problem usually as these were main routes years ago. I find that low trees are a bigger problem than avoiding bridges.
    The app TruckMap is a new one I will try soon. It allows you to enter RV dimensions and uses truck routes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Technojerry View Post
    I used it fresh out of the box on a 3,600 mile trip from Northern NV to SoCal to Colorado via Flagstaff and back through Great Basin NP to Carson Valley with no issues. I liked that it would give you the elevation profile on the road you were driving since there was lots of steep grades in CA/NV and Colo. I did once have to keep the route to reload to get the profile to be correct, but overall pleased. I always verify my route with a truckers guide as well as CoPilot to just play it safe with 13.5' sail behind me. Routing and display were nice. I have it on an extend arm cup mount since my Furrion rear wireless trailer camera is up on the dash in view. I bough the 780 to just have the latest instead of the 770. Not sure there really is much difference, but I keep things for a long time. The 785 camera and rugged housing did not seem worth the money and also where I have to mount it today. I did not use the camp ground lookup feature since I have other app for that. I did look for diesel and it worked ok, but I also use GasBuddy to verify prices since I only get 10.5 with my 34.5' 5er and a F350 4x4 CC SRW SB.
    Actually Basecamp does support your Height, Length, Weight and Width as well as your avg speed. I do not see a way to add propane though. First Choose Activity Profiles, Edit Activity Profile, Select your profile (RV in my case I made a new one based on RV called 5th Wheel), Click on the Routing Tab, At the bottom see Speed and RV Attributes that you can change the settings.

I have the RV770 and used basecamp with my gps plugged into the computer. It worked but it was incredibly slow. I almost bought the US Map for basecamp but the Garmin Tech showed me how to download it for free into basecamp while my RV770 was plugged in. By the way it is actually the same map data that is in the RV770. Now it runs very fast and is much easier to use.

I also use RV Parky but transferred data to the RV770 manually. I will try to download it into basecamp directly next time.
    Last edited by Flyn2high; 11-27-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - I'm still considering the Garmin 780. I dug up this thread in hopes owners of the 780 could chime in with their experiences now that it's been out for a while. Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing bad to say. I have used it for a couple of trips of like 4,000-5,000 miles. It has worked well. I have the 780 on an extension arm in a cup holder. It was a Amazon bracket buy.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldos View Post
    780 does not support smartwatches and is only available in 770. 780 offers 3D maps.
    Your navigating off of your smart watch? YIKES! You must have eyes like an eagle LOL.
    2020 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke SB
    2021 GD Solitude S 2930RL-R (trailer#5)
    Married father of 4 (3 sons 1 daughter) Two Eagle Scouts
    Navy Veteran - InfoSec Examiner/Auditor in the financial industry

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345