User Tag List

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stromberg Lend-A-Hand on a 315RLTS

Not a new topic--a search revealed this has been discussed before so this will be a quick synopsis targeted primarily at 315RLTS owners. BL--Fran liked the new handle immediately. Well worth the $46 to upgrade the handle as I'll be camping with family members that have physical challenges. (I wish GD had installed the Glowsteps and this extended handle as OEM equipment! They really are a great combination.)

The Stromberg Lend-A-Hand AM-533 is an exact fit replacement for the OEM handle on the 315RLTS with the minor exception that the Lend-A-Hand has two additional screws. But they were easy to install. (I drilled a small starter hole for the new screws. The new screw in the top "bit" into what felt like framework. The bottom one did not.)

I coated all six screws with silicone prior to installation to ensure I didn't inadvertently create a path for water to penetrate the trailer. I did *not* seal around the bases. The experience of others is sealing items like this are just as likely to create a dam to trap water as it is to seal them.

Here's the pics:

Last edited by howson; 05-13-2019 at 05:08 AM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a great product. We often park with the door side on a downhill sloop, and this would be perfect for that.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plus one on this hand grip. Put on our new 303. Direct replacement, super easy install. Made a difference for my wife with the height, and for me with my bad knees.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an amazon warehouse deal on the Lend-a-hand extended handrail - so I went for it.

So far, I've just attached it with the 2 screws per location, as with the rail I removed. The product comes with slightly longer screws, and they seem to grab some additional meat in the wall. There is a 3rd hole provided, but as Howard noted some walls don't have the backing in place to hold well. The instructions say they are to be used by the OEM, who would have the ability to add backing material.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	49815

As expected, there was some wobble side to side - most of this play was at the back of the rail/saddle, behind the swivel pin, with just a little in front of the saddle pin.

What I did to tighten that movement up is add a nylon zip tie to the rail behind the pin at each location, and some harness tape in front of the pin.

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	49816

Doing that secured the rail quite well. The zip tie must be slid forward when the rail is stowed, to allow it to settle into the saddle in that orientation - those slots are tighter. It's pretty simple to slide them. We'll see how this lasts.

Name:	folding.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	957.9 KB 
ID:	49817

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	49818

I'm appreciating more the comments I've read about preserving the width - I do like having the rail where it is for room heading up and down these 24" stairs.
    2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3, 33" Toyo AT2, Transgo, 6.0 trans cooler, exhaust brake, extended overload spring bumpstops, Bilstein 4600, Hydra/PHP, FORScan, billet 7/7 turbo wheel, Adrenaline HPOP, EBC yellow stuff brake pads
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan Brakerite actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of steps are those? They look very sturdy.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrillSergeant View Post
    What kind of steps are those? They look very sturdy.
    @GrillSergeant -

The Solitudes come with MORryde Step Above steps.

Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Note: you'll need to have a paid subscription to add an image to your signature.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015