User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heating system lack of air flow

Bought a new Imagine XLS17MKE in April. Had the need to turn on the heat on our 2nd trip in April. Unit has 3 heat vents. Bathroom which blew very hot air that would burn the hair off your legs. Side wall by door warm and some air flow. Under bed no heat and no airflow. Has anyone else had this issue. Took off return to look at vent lines and all are attached and a lot of heat comes no out the base of the furnace??

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard.
    You may want to check the registers where the hot air "should" blow out of. Sometimes these are not attached correctly. Not sure why you would have a lot of heat coming out of furnace. Is it leaking around one of the hose connections? Not familiar with you camper but someone here should be.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a similar problem with my 21BHE that I really like. In it, the furnace is located under the fridge. I took the interior panel off and found the back panel of the furnace where the hoses attached was bent out away from the furnace. Most of the heat just dumped out under the fridge. I straightened it and that fixed the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2973_1.jpg  
    2019 Grand Design 21BHE
    2012 GMC Yukon
    Other toys
    1929 Model A Ford Roadster
    1931 Model A Station Wagon

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. Just back from a long trip to my selling dealer (I moved to another state and no dealer wanted to do the warranty work on my coach since I didn’t buy it from them) and it appears the design was changed on the 2019 Imagine XLS 17 MKE. I checked under the refrigerator and found most lines leaking at the base of the furnace. The longest run in the coach is to the bedroom area which had no air flow at all. The shortest run s to the bathroom where the heat will burn the hair on your legs. They should have installed a damper on this line. After leaks were repaired at base of the furnace had a little air flow. The underbelly had to be dropped and it was discovered the longest duct line in the coach had several bends and turns and the line was down sized to 1 1/2”. This makes no sense at all. After talks with Grand Design several more months ago it was determined it was a bad design change. Dealer still has coach and is waiting for approval from Grand Design to make some changes and rectify the issue. Seems like once it was determined to be a bad design change a fix should have been worked out and communicated to dealers seller no this unit. I share this with owners of similar coaches that have not tried the furnace in cold weather you should check your units to see if you have a similar problem. With 3 QC checks before leaving the factory as advertised it is hard to contemplate how this unit passed any inspections if the furnace and airflow to the registers where not operating properly. I’m sure the dealer will find a fix but it has cost me time without my coach and expense to get this major item identified and numerous other issues repaired. Sorry to say this but I don’t have much confidence in their advertised industry leading QC process at Grand Design.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For future warranty items, you should call GD, they have been known to authorize warranty work using mobile techs. Explain that no dealer in your area will work with you and it should be ok.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    For future warranty items, you should call GD, they have been known to authorize warranty work using mobile techs. Explain that no dealer in your area will work with you and it should be ok.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Tried that route but no one in the area (100 miles) wanted to work on the coach when I explained the problem and that the underbelly needed to be dropped to check what was there and come up with a fix. Grand Design called a dealer in my area but the dealer wouldn't Return their calls and they suggested I call. I did and the dealer said they were very busy and would call me back which they never did. GD told me I could use anyone in the area but they needed them to send an estimate before the work could start. No one was willing to give an estimate on a issue they could not look at since they had to drop the underbelly. One company said they would do the work but wanted me to guarantee payment personally that they would not work with GD. Coach is now at the selling dealer awaiting approval and design modification instructions. This was a 600 mile round trip which will have to be repeated once coach is fixed. I mentioned the heating issue so others could check their coach to see if they have the same air flavor w issue before they need their heat.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update on my 17MKE. The dealer was able to get the underbelly off and found the duct work that feeds the bedroom had been reduced is size to 1 1/2” and had little airflow. Working with the folks at a Grand Design they made the following changes that appear to have solved the issue. First they sealed up around all the ducts at the bottom of the furnace. They installed another 1 1/2” run on the opposite side of the coach. There was no room next to the original run. They put in a y and connected to 2 runs before the vent. They also put a damper on the vent in the bathroom. This increased the com to the bedroom. I wanted to thank Ansley RV and Grand Design for their work to correct the problem. Much appreciated.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have said CMF. Spellcheck does it’s own thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your experience, glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

I have the same unit, purchased in Jan. Have taken it out on a few occasions during the winter months, but I live in the Gulf Coast area and so I really didn't notice any problem with the heat. Sounds like you are in the northeast, based on the reference to Ansley. I'm not sure I'll be wanting to tackle such a big mod, but I appreciate the information just in case.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2021 22MLE has the same issue at the bed. Likely the same concern. I’ll have to have a look and contact GD. I thought I’d mention here that mine has the same issue if folks are looking. Thanks for the info! It was very helpful!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast