Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on Equalizer Hitch

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on the Equal-i-zer hitch? I bought a used Equalizer 12000 hitch this evening to pick up our new 2800BH on Saturday. It was a last minute purchase since I don't have a whole lot of time before I head out Saturday. I had ordered a Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500, but amazon.ca hasn't been able to get one to me even though it was supposed to be delivered last Thursday.

The Equalizer I bought is a few years old (maybe 5-6) and it looks a little different than in the manual I downloaded, specifically the L-brackets and link plates. The outside link plates look more like the plates from the 4K hitch. I can't find any model numbers on anything other than the spring bars and I can't find any part dimensions online to confirm what parts I have. I'm probably just being paranoid and the L-brackets have gone through some changes over the years. The previous owner never really used the hitch, he bought the hitch with a trailer from the original owner and parked the trailer at a seasonal lot.

I just want to make sure I don't have some kind of Frankenhitch. I assume you can't just go and put 12000lb bars in a 4000lb hitch head? Hopefully someone wouldn't use the wrong brackets when installing a hitch. Here are some pictures.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. I might try calling/emailing Equal-i-zer tomorrow to see what they say but I'm not sure if they'll offer much support since I bought the hitch used.

Thanks,
    Ivor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ivor,

I have a 12000# equalizer hitch from our old TT that is about 12 years old. It looks the same as in your photos. I would be happy to scan the manual and send it to you if it would be helpful.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    Hi Ivor,

I have a 12000# equalizer hitch from our old TT that is about 12 years old. It looks the same as in your photos. I would be happy to scan the manual and send it to you if it would be helpful.

Mark
    Well that's good to hear Mark, thanks for the information! The guy I bought it from had the manual in his garage somewhere but he couldn't find it or the snap up hook tool. I was running late for an appointment so I'll have to grab the tool from him another time once he finds it. I don't want to put you through the trouble of scanning that whole booklet, I assume it's pretty much the same other than the L-brackets? They seem to be similar except they look like they stand off from the link plates because of the small piece of plate welded on there for the L-bracket supports. The new L-brackets seem to sit flush with the link plates.

I was planning on getting the Blue Ox but we'll see how this equalizer works out this weekend. If it turns out to work well for my setup I might cancel my Blue Ox order and just use this one. The used hitch only cost me $300 so I'd be saving almost $700 (CAD) if I stick with the used one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The equalizer hitch served us well for 11 years. It made some noise when turning slow but everything always felt solid. I would get another one but I have never towed with a Blue Ox or anything else for that matter. Here are a couple of photos of the brackets. Let me know if you would like the manual, it's really no problem. Good luck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	19983

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	19984

Name:	IMG_1302.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	19982
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to of the equal-i-zer hitches... one for the f150 and one for the expedition. They work well with our 2800bh. I used them one on of them on our previous TT. The manuals should be at their website.
    Also they have added some pads for the l-brackets that quieten it up a bunch.
    The dealership set up my first hitch. I did the second. It's not too hard, but take time to get it right. I tried to add a little more angle on the hitch to reduce sway. Ended up being way too noisy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay with Equal-z-er buy the new style quick release L brackets, and the high density nylon slides to help with noise. This is an excellent hitch. I would recommend taking the pivots apart and lubing with heavy grease once a year. These are torqued to 45 lbs on Reassembly. Using the upgrades and using this method noise was minimal only apparent when backing into a site with extreme angles. Very easy to setup initially in your case set L brackets to give some resistance and finish setup when you get home. Hope this info helps.
    Last edited by Lmzabel; 12-01-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more vote in favor of the nylon "jackets". Really help with the noise. I know, the price is crazy for a little piece of plastic; but they work!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more vote in favor of the nylon "jackets". Really help with the noise. I know, the price is crazy for a little piece of plastic; but they work!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the 1400# bars, and was just re-reading the manual looking for torque specs. The manual does mention that the sway bars are matched to the hitch head, and will only fit the hitch head with the same rating.

The socket/pivot bolts on the 1400# require 60ft/# torque.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been real happy with the Curt 17500 model. Easy and very effective. FWIW
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload