User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smelly bathroom sink

I'll try to make this short and sweet!!!! I've been living full time in my wonderful trailer for 3 months now due to losing my home in the Camp Fire in California. I'm quite comfortable and could possibly be calling this HOME for the next year. I'm hooked up to a septic tank, well water and electricity. I would like to know WHY the bathroom sink smells like a sewer? I have tried leaving all tanks open....or all tanks closed until 3/4 full. I flush out the system once a week. I've gotten to where I hold my breath when I run the bathroom sink faucet to brush my teeth. I've used vinegar and baking soda numerous times and have even put some of the black tank powder down the sink. Summer is just beginning and I don't want my trailer smelling like an outhouse.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be a bad AAV (air admittance valve) located under the sink, looks like a black large pipe cap, but a little different. Another thing to check if it is a similar smell to rotten eggs is the water level in your battery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy Joanne, welcome to the forum.

You might first try a cup on bleach down the sink drain and let it soak the P trap for an hour. Bacteria can grow in the trap and cause a nasty smell.

We had an issue with a rancid smell from our kitchen sink. Please see the link for our final resolution. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ll-quot-solved
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 05-02-2019 at 06:12 AM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Joanne - see this thread with the most common reason for "the stink" as FT4now shared and replacing the AAV. See my post #53 for pictures of valves and location for our 303. Not sure what unit you have but location s/b similar. Certainly there could be other things but this is most often a good place to start.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ighlight=stink

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the AAV from under the sink. You should be able to unscrew it by hand. Rinse it out under running water. There is a rubber diaphragm inside and debris or insects can prevent it from sealing. After rinsing shake out excess water and reinstall. I've done this a couple of times and it eliminated the smell.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree.... Your AAV is stuck!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I'll try to make this short and sweet!!!! I've been living full time in my wonderful trailer for 3 months now due to losing my home in the Camp Fire in California. I'm quite comfortable and could possibly be calling this HOME for the next year. I'm hooked up to a septic tank, well water and electricity. I would like to know WHY the bathroom sink smells like a sewer? I have tried leaving all tanks open....or all tanks closed until 3/4 full. I flush out the system once a week. I've gotten to where I hold my breath when I run the bathroom sink faucet to brush my teeth. I've used vinegar and baking soda numerous times and have even put some of the black tank powder down the sink. Summer is just beginning and I don't want my trailer smelling like an outhouse.
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT ANSWERED ME AND GAVE ME SUCH GREAT SUGGESTIONS. I don't have the time this morning to figure out how to thank everyone individually, so I hope this is read by all. Oh....I have a 2019 Transcend 31' rear living room. My two dogs and one cat are safe with me here on my friends GORGEOUS property and this will be our home until I figure out if I might rebuild in Paradise, which was almost virtually destroyed. But I consider this my tiny home...my fort...and I'm loving it here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do all trailers come with the AAV valve? My trailer is a 2019 Transcend (don't know if that info matters) but in looking under the bathroom sink (which is the BIG OFFENDER) I don't see anything at all except the pea trap. I swear my water from the bathroom sink is even getting a smell to it, but that might just be my senses kicking into overdrive.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up high under the sink. Follow the black pipe to the top. Thats where the AAV is in our bathroom sink. My "Guess" is that GD uses the AAV in all thier models.

Sometimes the hot water can get a sulfer stink to it. You haven't been in yours to long yet but get one of those wands to clean sediment out of the hot water heater periodically.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do wonder if you make a trap with your sewer hose. One thing I noticed when staying long term at one place is if you do not make a p trap outside, then you are filling your grey tanks with sewer odors