9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand awning is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s 4:12 AM here in Savannah and my husband just finished removing our complete awning assembly on our GD ST 344GK 2019 Solitude after rain collapsed the entire rear bracket arms, torquing everything. I wished we had read these posts before we had to figure out where the closest dump site is. Argggg.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    When I had my first camper(on 3rd now) this very old guy gave me advice. He said you always bring in your awning during any storm, at night while you are asleep, if you leave your camper for extended period of time and you would never be sorry. Seen several awnings damaged when people left them out at night and unexpected storm came up during night while people were asleep.
    I have always followed his advice; carry small trap to cover chairs up with at night where they will be dry in morning.

I've been camping in the Myrtle Beach area for well over 20 years. Every year we see at least 5 or so awnings get trashed for not following the "golden rule".
    2019 Ford F350 Dually
    2020 GD Solitude 375RES-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This just happened to me. Awning was out and we had a freak storm, within a minute the awning was sagging with the water load. I use a broom to attempt to push the center of the awning up and drain the water. Suddenly the front of the awning started dumping water and then the arms bent and it collapsed. All of this happened within 90 seconds of the onset of rain.

So, amidst the downpour and crazy summer storm, I was able to complete remove the entire awning mechanism. Now to try to find the parts to fix it....
    Lyndon

Grand Design 375RES, stationary.
    Cottage Country, Ontario Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The parts to fix it are a Dometic 9000 series awning... Worth every penny to switch over and not have to worry about it again.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    2017 GMC Sierra Dually Denali w/ the 6.6L Duramax
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible Awning. Way to cheap.

Same thing just happened to ours. Except zero rain and we rarely use the awning. Here in Santa Clarita, California where the winds are maybe 6-10 mph end of July in a drought so definitely no rain. These are disgraceful awnings. I’ll be calling both Grand Design and Carefree first thing Monday morning. If nobody will honor the repair. You can bet money that I’ll be doing me research on who made the tarp on our 2019 Sanibel that we sold. While we love our 2021 Solitude….. A functional tarp is a must for an RV.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you happen to come through Wyoming and even Montana - we only put awnings out when we can physically watch them. Wyoming winds will come from nothing to 60 in a flash and sometimes only last for 15-20 mins but they will shred awnings. We never put ours out unless we physically watch them and even then we were nearly not fast enough. Agree with prior posts on strength, older 5ers than ours seem to hold up more strongly...our 2019 Solitude would have been shredded without a watchful eye.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123