User Tag List

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Changing toilet in 385GK

I have a non elongated toilet in my camper that I changed to an Aqua Magic elongated...and it doesn't fit properly. As I discovered, the non elongated are roughly 9.5" away from the wall, and the elongated require roughly 11" from the wall. I would love to put in an elongated toilet, and if my only option is to use an offset flange, then I'll go that way, otherwise, I would love to know what you have done.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the Thetford non-elongated with a Dometic 320 elongated in our Reflection 320MKS. IIRC the Dometic requires 10", not the 11" you mention, and there was a little space (maybe half an inch) between the toilet and the wall.

When we traded for the Solitude 310GK we swapped the toilets. Our Dometic *just* fit in the Solitude without flange modification; I could slide paper behind it if I wanted to, but not much more than that.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,
    Curious if you ever came to a solution for this? We ordered a 300RBTS Reflection and one of the dealer installed options we paid for was the dometic 320 elongated toilet. We are scheduled to pick up our new travel trailer Wednesday and I just received a phone call from the dealer today saying the toilet will not fit due to there not being enough clearance at the back. That is one thing we really wanted and hate to just give up on an elongated toilet. Hope you were able to come up with a solution?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I unscrewed the flange and moved it the 1/2" I needed. There was enough give in the plumbing to just move it a bit.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbrunk21 View Post
    Chris,
    Curious if you ever came to a solution for this? We ordered a 300RBTS Reflection and one of the dealer installed options we paid for was the dometic 320 elongated toilet. We are scheduled to pick up our new travel trailer Wednesday and I just received a phone call from the dealer today saying the toilet will not fit due to there not being enough clearance at the back. That is one thing we really wanted and hate to just give up on an elongated toilet. Hope you were able to come up with a solution?
    Hi, I see that you're pretty new here, welcome!

You've asked Chris a question in a thread he started back in May. There's a pretty good chance that he won't see your question, not unless he notices that this thread (of so many threads on this busy site) has come alive again after six months' of dormancy and he decides to visit it.

It's a good practice whenever you're responding to a post to use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom right of the post you're responding to. That way, Chris will get a notification the next time he visits this site telling him that you've replied to his post. Also, his post text will appear in your message, which as threads get longer is useful for context that will make your post clearer to everyone.

That's the best habit to use whenever you post, but in some circumstances including the text of the post you're responding to may be superfluous. In those circumstances you can refer to the user you're responding to by typing the '@' character followed by the user name. Just type @chris (as I just did there) into the text of your message and Chris will get a notification.

So, Chris will now be notified of MY message, and he will hopefully read back a few messages and answer your question.

Hope this helps you as you settle in here.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for that GREAT info @boyscout (I don’t think the @ and name worked? I’m using from my iPhone does that make a difference?) I called dometic today and they said the 320 elongated toilet does need the 11 inches and the 310 needs the 10 inches. The 310 is not an elongated toilet and that is why I was wanting the Dometic 320. So I still need to come up with the 1.5 inches extra to replace the thetford aqua magic with the Dometic 320. I called Dometic to see if they offered an attachment or another toilet that was elongated but not 11 inche requirement and they do not.

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I was able to get the 320 installed in my rig. It's a tight fit, and it does rub a little. I am very pleased with the toilet for sure!

Thanks @boyscout for the mention!
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbrunk21 View Post
    Thank you so much for that GREAT info @boyscout (I don’t think the @ and name worked? I’m using from my iPhone does that make a difference?) I called dometic today and they said the 320 elongated toilet does need the 11 inches and the 310 needs the 10 inches. The 310 is not an elongated toilet and that is why I was wanting the Dometic 320. So I still need to come up with the 1.5 inches extra to replace the thetford aqua magic with the Dometic 320. I called Dometic to see if they offered an attachment or another toilet that was elongated but not 11 inche requirement and they do not.
    The "@ and name" did work; Chris has now told you the toilet installation is possible. (You just got a notification at the top of the page about this message to you, right? That's how it works.)

I can tell you that installing the 320 was possible in our 310GK... the toilet doesn't quite touch the wall, but it's very close.

I think someone else here has talked about unscrewing the flange and tugging it out a bit and then screwing it down in the new position.

Sounds like you can probably pull it off. Good luck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    The "@ and name" did work; Chris has now told you the toilet installation is possible. (You just got a notification at the top of the page about this message to you, right? That's how it works.)

I can tell you that installing the 320 was possible in our 310GK... the toilet doesn't quite touch the wall, but it's very close.

I think someone else here has talked about unscrewing the flange and tugging it out a bit and then screwing it down in the new position.

Sounds like you can probably pull it off. Good luck.
    Thank you both so much for the responses and the lesson to better the forum! My dealer told me they could not get it installed so I finally gave up. We get to pick up our Reflection tomorrow so once I get it home I’ll be able to measure etc and can follow up with pictures if necessary. Thank you again!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the lesson @boyscout. I am on another forum that does that and one that doesn't. I'm still learning this one.