User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weak brakes or large trailer?

So we finally made it out for our first trip! Everything went well. My question is what does everyone have thier brake controller set at? I know it varies based on truck and trailer. In our 1500 ( and even in the new 3500) with my old trailer I had it set at 4.5. I had it set at 9 and it felt like I had a dump truck pushing me. It is the factory controller.

I turned the exhaust brake on and it made a big difference. I have read that a few of you have your controllers set at 10 and won’t lock the tires up.

I had the bearings packed after we bought it this winter so I would hope he would have let me know if there was an issue with the breaks. When I pulled the wheels a few weeks ago for new tires they seemed to spin freely. If I adjust them will it make that much of a difference or should I be pulling everything to check the breaks? Is there any way to tell without pulling everything apart?

If the suggestion is to pull the drums should I just replace the break assembly while I have it pulled? I have no idea how many miles the previous owner put on the trailer. It sounds like the Dexter website has a tool to look up what seals I will need based off the axel tag? What about the break assembly?

Disc breaks are out of the budget so that upgrade is not an option.

Also, is there a way to check suspension bushing condition at all besides pulling things apart?

We have every weekend booked from now until September so I want to make sure it’s a trouble free summer.

Thanks everyone!
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May need to adjust the brakes.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the brakes, first thing I would do is jack up a side at a time and see how freely your wheels spin. If they are totally free, you need to adjust them until there is slight drag, I repeat slight. I would also pull the break away wire and make sure all of your tires lock up so that you can not spin them. That way you know you have electricity going to the magnets to apply the brakes. Then reset the wire. Once all is good, try driving with it and see where the controller now needs to be. Hopefully all will be good.

If the trailer still pushing your truck, then you have to see if you’re getting the proper amount of juice from your controller through your truck plug. Could be an issue there. If that is good, you may have to pull the drums to see if they may have grease on them, or the pads are worn out, etc. If you need new pads, yes, replacing the whole assembly is cost effective and much easier.

As far as the suspension bushings, I believe you would have to pull the bolts out to see what condition they are in. It’s fairly easy to do after jacking up the trailer and having a jack under the axle bolt to raise or lower. If you don’t have wet bolts and brass bushings, I recommend them at some point. They are inexpensive and will last if you grease them regularly.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info above, just want to add some info on the bolts if you pull them. Only rotate the nut, not the bolt when removing. The bolts are pressed in and will need to be knocked out with a punch or you could use a gear puller. If reusing the bolts, take care not to damage the threads. If you are going through the effort to remove the bolts, it does make sense to upgrade to Morryde wet bolts, HD shackles and bronze bushings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. For time sake to make sure I am ready for the rest of the summer, I am thinking of pulling the drum to check the breaks for grease and make sure they are adjusted. When pulling the drum will I need to replace any grease seals on the outside, or is there just an inside seal?

I guess I shouldn't have trusted the RV guy and just did this myself in the first place that way I would know what they look like to start with.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1013 View Post
    Thanks for the info. For time sake to make sure I am ready for the rest of the summer, I am thinking of pulling the drum to check the breaks for grease and make sure they are adjusted. When pulling the drum will I need to replace any grease seals on the outside, or is there just an inside seal?

I guess I shouldn't have trusted the RV guy and just did this myself in the first place that way I would know what they look like to start with.
    You have a 2015 Reflection. They have the Lippert axles that had all the grease seal problems. Pull your drums and see if you have grease contamination. Over 70% of the people on this forum have had this problem. If there is grease contamination you MUST get the seals replaced, and the drums all cleaned of the grease.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^if brakes are contaminated, they must be replaced. You cant clean the pads, you can clean and reuse the drums.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Yup. Agree.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Good info above, just want to add some info on the bolts if you pull them. Only rotate the nut, not the bolt when removing. The bolts are pressed in and will need to be knocked out with a punch or you could use a gear puller. If reusing the bolts, take care not to damage the threads. If you are going through the effort to remove the bolts, it does make sense to upgrade to Morryde wet bolts, HD shackles and bronze bushings.

The easiest way to push out the knurled pin is with a large C clamp and a socket that will fit over the greaseable end of the pin. Once the clamp is tightened down, the pin will loosen up with a pop. It can then be pushed out easily with a hammer and brass drift.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 05-13-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    May need to adjust the brakes.
    X2. Since the OP payed to have the bearings packed, hopefully the mechanics that did the work would have noticed greased brakes and if not would have replaced the seals to do the bearing re-pack. If this work was done and no grease was noticed, the brake adjustment may be the culprit.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast