User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I do have power going to the brakes. When I manually activate the controller it does stop the truck and trailer, but not like it should turned all the way up. Now the undersized wiring may be an issue, but after pulling just one wheel last night I have ordered new self adjusting brake assemblies. I will let the pictures do the talking. This one didn't appear to be greased up, but there was enough grease to do the whole trailer and the pads were down to pretty much nothing. I plan on repacking the bearings and replacing seals at the same time.

Does anyone know how to determine what grease seal to use? I know I could take them to Napa, but I would rather have everything ready to go. I found a size on the Lippert website of 2.125" ID x 3.376" OD, double lip. I searched Amazon, but apparently there are different thicknesses.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4037.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	20385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4036.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	20386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4035.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	20387
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1013 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I do have power going to the brakes. When I manually activate the controller it does stop the truck and trailer, but not like it should turned all the way up. Now the undersized wiring may be an issue, but after pulling just one wheel last night I have ordered new self adjusting brake assemblies. I will let the pictures do the talking. This one didn't appear to be greased up, but there was enough grease to do the whole trailer and the pads were down to pretty much nothing. I plan on repacking the bearings and replacing seals at the same time.

Does anyone know how to determine what grease seal to use? I know I could take them to Napa, but I would rather have everything ready to go. I found a size on the Lippert website of 2.125" ID x 3.376" OD, double lip. I searched Amazon, but apparently there are different thicknesses.

TRP GS 2250DL is the seal that came on your axles from the factory, $3 - $4 ea.
    Timken 412920 $13+ ea. https://www.amazon.com/Timken-412920-Seal/dp/B001544TIE Many consider to be a higher quality seal. I have used the TRP's without issue. Proper installation a must ie: put a little grease where the seal lip rides. Dry seal lip on dry spindle may cause premature failure.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1013 View Post

I would get my money back from that “bearing job” you had done.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    I would get my money back from that “bearing job” you had done.
    I think I will be paying the guy a visit. I certainly won't be taking my rig back to him. I was trying to save myself some work and make sure things were good for a few years but here I am. I have new seals and self adjusting break assemblies on order. I guess I will add another skill to my list soon.

My one year old liked helping yesterday, but mama was not happy with the grease on her clothes.
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, update.
    New brake plates installed. Cleaned up the drums, replaced the seals and repacked the bearings. I did not get a chance to try it out before our trip, but when we left I tried them out. They are worse than before! What gives?
    I did adjust them after install and backed up and actuated just the trailer brakes 15-20 times to make sure they adjusted to where they needed to be. I did several wear in breaking when I could along the way, and they seem marginally better at best.
    I think they next step is to test my current at each brake. I will need to get a meter to do this.
    Can you connect the wires wrong? Any other things to check? Truck controlled worked great with my old trailer.
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can’t wire it wrong but you probably have a voltage issue. Check it at the trailer plug first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took 1000 miles for my new brakes to seat in. I'm not very hard on the brake pedal but it does take some time to seat them. Checking the wiring is good advice.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out about a new RAM TSB from 2016 with regard to the electric brake controller. May be of interest. See my related post in another thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post244109
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I would share the latest. We have been camping most of July and this will be our first weekend home since May, but of course I have some upgrades to do (new steps and fridge fans).

The brakes are working much better now. I checked the voltage through the trailer cord and there is no drop. I did pull apart a wire nut for the grounds and redo the connection. I don't think it was as good as it should have been. Also, like others say, it seems as though my pads are now wore in and grabbing much better. I am surprised at how many miles I put on for it to improve, even doing some slow downs with just the trailer brakes. I am much happier with the performance. I actually turned the brake controller down a bit.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123