User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, that's a very good point that I didn't think about. I'll be adding about 90 lbs when all is said and done. Hmmm....
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Ok, so I would have to remove the bed, then remove the bed frame/storage compartment to get to the plywood floor. I’m guessing this will (of necessity) require ripping up the carpeting as well, or is the plywood sheet for the bed a separate piece?

My thinking is that by having the steel plate underneath the plywood, it would create a “sandwich”. The steel plate would not be easy to rip up through the flooring for grabbing the safe. A 1’ x 1’ steel footprint would create a tremendous resistance force - too much for someone to just rip out easily. And if I can get some rounded head bolts that I can install from beneath the floorboard and bolt securely inside the safe that creates a very secure sandwich. You’re right about the circular saw attack; I can’t make it foolproof, but I can make it reasonably difficult to get to.

I think we’re getting warmer. Thanks Kim.
    No tearing up carpet or bedframe. You don't even have to remove the mattress. Simply tilt the bed up and remove the piece of ply wood that is the floor of the compartment. This is what you'd attach your safe to. The plywood to the right is the storage area floor. You can see the slide floor at the head of the compartment. When slide is closed it travels to where the foot of the bedframe is now. The vertical piece at the head of the compartment is the back wall of the exterior storage. I would definitely place the safe nearest the head of the bed to limit leverage on the slide. Don't know what the load capacity is for this slide but the same mechanism is used for large wall slides in other trailers. Maybe check with GDRV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer slide.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	20141
    Last edited by Chiefblueman; 05-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    No tearing up carpet or bedframe. You don't even have to remove the mattress. Simply tilt the bed up and remove the piece of ply wood that is the floor of the compartment. This is what you'd attach your safe to. The plywood to the right is the storage area floor. You can see the slide floor at the head of the compartment. When slide is closed it travels to where the foot of the bedframe is now. The vertical piece at the head of the compartment is the back wall of the exterior storage. I would definitely place the safe nearest the head of the bed to limit leverage on the slide. Don't know what the load capacity is for this slide but the same mechanism is used for large wall slides in other trailers. Maybe check with GDRV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer slide.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	20141
    Makes perfect sense now. It's basically a false floor. I'm going to have to come up with a way of shoring up the strength of that plywood piece, otherwise you'll simply be able to rip the whole thing out - safe and all. Thanks for that photo.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While I don't know the layout of you unit, is there a heat register for the bedroom from under the sink in the bath? On my unit I have found this could be a good hiding place for valuables. Its deep enough, hidden by the grill, and possibly could be expanded to get to the basement. In the bath the bottom shelf hides it.

Just a thought
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just called GDRV. The additional 90-100 lbs won't make any difference in terms of the slide motor, so I'm good to go there.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    While I don't know the layout of you unit, is there a heat register for the bedroom from under the sink in the bath? On my unit I have found this could be a good hiding place for valuables. Its deep enough, hidden by the grill, and possibly could be expanded to get to the basement. In the bath the bottom shelf hides it.

Just a thought
    We're going to be full-timing, and there are some items that are going to need to be kept in a safe. Some things I can probably hide around the trailer, but I want to concentrate on making this safe option in the under-the-bed storage compartment work. While every thief knows that's the first place to go, if I can make it as difficult as possible for them to get there, get to it, and get out of my trailer alive then I'll have done the best I can do. Nothing is irreplaceable, it would just be a big inconvenience to have to do so.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Just called GDRV. The additional 90-100 lbs won't make any difference in terms of the slide motor, so I'm good to go there.
    Looks like you got a project coming up!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Looks like you got a project coming up!
    Yup. What would have been a great option would have been for GDRV to have made that bottom all one piece with a metal plate on the underside pre-drilled to accept a small safe. That would allow for the safe to be bolted solidly and securely to the floor, yet easily removable from the inside of the safe. As it is I’ll have to settle for a tamper-resistant design. I’ve got some ideas that I’m going to work on in the coming weeks. I’ll keep y’all posted. Thanks to all for your input.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12