User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Access below storage space under bed

I’m looking to install a burglary safe under the bed of my 313RLTS. My plan is to take a pre-drilled steel plate, install it beneath the floor board (up inside the Coroplast) and bolt the safe to it. To accomplish this, I need to know what is underneath this area, and whether or not I can get access to it. While it won’t stop a dedicated thief, it will most likely slow them down.

I have never looked up inside the Coroplast so don’t know what’s up there.

Has anybody stuck their head up inside to see what’s there?
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    I’m looking to install a burglary safe under the bed of my 313RLTS. My plan is to take a pre-drilled steel plate, install it beneath the floor board (up inside the Coroplast) and bolt the safe to it. To accomplish this, I need to know what is underneath this area, and whether or not I can get access to it. While it won’t stop a dedicated thief, it will most likely slow them down.

I have never looked up inside the Coroplast so don’t know what’s up there.

Has anybody stuck their head up inside to see what’s there?
    Hi Jim. I stuck my head up there but it's been a while. The washer grey tank is in the vicinity.

I'm curious how you'll bolt a safe to the floor. I happen to be working on the bedroom slide and have the floor of the under bed storage removed. When the slide is out there's plenty of room but when it comes in the slide floor takes up all but about 2 inches of that space. I can tell by the witness marks left behind on the vinyl by the rollers mounted to the bottom of the slide.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The under bed storage is in your slide out. I don't think there is enough clearance to bolt a steel plate under the floor. You might have better luck bolting it in the closet.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Hi Jim. I stuck my head up there but it's been a while. The washer grey tank is in the vicinity.

I'm curious how you'll bolt a safe to the floor. I happen to be working on the bedroom slide and have the floor of the under bed storage removed. When the slide is out there's plenty of room but when it comes in the slide floor takes up all but about 2 inches of that space. I can tell by the witness marks left behind on the vinyl by the rollers mounted to the bottom of the slide.
    Ugh! Didn't think this one through... of course the bed is on the slide, so that's not going to work. Need to come up with Plan B.

Is there a way to get to the underside of the slide at the foot end of the bed, perhaps by dismantling the bed?
    Last edited by jim1521; 05-16-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    The under bed storage is in your slide out. I don't think there is enough clearance to bolt a steel plate under the floor. You might have better luck bolting it in the closet.

Nope. After you and Chief pointed that out to me, that's not going to work. Not being at the trailer is making visualization of this difficult. It won't make any sense to bolt it in the closet; it's too easy to get to the underside (in the below storage area) and unbolt it. Plus, we'll have a washer and dryer in the closet, so I'm quickly running out of real estate.

I'm going to need to think this through some more.

Thanks to you and Chief B for your insight.
    Last edited by jim1521; 05-16-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. After you and Chief pointed that out to me, that's not going to work. Not being at the trailer is making visualization of this difficult. It won't make any sense to bolt it in the closet; it's too easy to get to the underside (in the below storage area) and unbolt it. Plus, we'll have a washer and dryer in the closet, so I'm quickly running out of real estate.

I'm going to need to think this through some more.

Thanks to you and Chief B for your insight.
    A possibility might be to simply mount the safe to the floor of the under bed storage. It rides 3 or 4 inches above the trailer floor and is supported around the perimeter by 1X2 wood. The floor is a piece of 1/2 inch plywood. Go with, say, 3/4 inch plywood, put your steel plate on the bottom and beef up the supports. Screw it down with security head screws. The bulkhead toward the head of the bed is to separate this area from the exterior storage. You could mount the safe up against that and build a false bulkhead to hide the safe. Maybe even cover the floor with .060 sheet. Then, put a beefy hasp on the tilt up (I've done this) and a good lock. It would take your average thief a long time to get through that. Be easier to steal the trailer.

There is space behind the fireplace but you still have to contend with the slide. Good place for concealment.

AFA utilities under the trailer floor, all the wiring, plumbing, ducting runs down the street side of the trailer. Curb side has pretty much nothing but tanks to contend with. There is nothing or very little from the island back. You could easily bolt a safe to the floor in the space under the sofa.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A possibility might be to simply mount the safe to the floor of the under bed storage.

This is where I was hoping to install it.

It rides 3 or 4 inches above the trailer floor and is supported around the perimeter by 1X2 wood.The floor is a piece of 1/2 inch plywood.

Is there any way to get underneath the 1/2” plywood? If I could do that, it would allow me to get that plate installed under the floor.

Go with, say, 3/4 inch plywood, put your steel plate on the bottom and beef up the supports. Screw it down with security head screws.

Not following you here. Can you elaborate? Are you saying to screw down the steel plate to the 1/2” floor, then put the 3/4” plywood over top of the steel plate?
    See questions inline above. Thanks.
    Last edited by jim1521; 05-16-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See questions inline above. Thanks.
    Yes, you can get under the plywood. It's nailed down, you'd have to remove it.

I was thinking to replace the 1/2 inch plywood floor with 3/4 inch just to beef it up a bit. The steel would go on top of that. This was to prevent a perpetrator equipped with a circular saw from cutting the plywood around the safe and taking it. A little overkill maybe?

I have the floor of my storage area out so you can see what you'll be dealing with. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can get under the plywood. It's nailed down, you'd have to remove it.

I was thinking to replace the 1/2 inch plywood floor with 3/4 inch just to beef it up a bit. The steel would go on top of that. This was to prevent a perpetrator equipped with a circular saw from cutting the plywood around the safe and taking it. A little overkill maybe?

I have the floor of my storage area out so you can see what you'll be dealing with. I'll post a photo tomorrow.
    Ok, so I would have to remove the bed, then remove the bed frame/storage compartment to get to the plywood floor. I’m guessing this will (of necessity) require ripping up the carpeting as well, or is the plywood sheet for the bed a separate piece?

My thinking is that by having the steel plate underneath the plywood, it would create a “sandwich”. The steel plate would not be easy to rip up through the flooring for grabbing the safe. A 1’ x 1’ steel footprint would create a tremendous resistance force - too much for someone to just rip out easily. And if I can get some rounded head bolts that I can install from beneath the floorboard and bolt securely inside the safe that creates a very secure sandwich. You’re right about the circular saw attack; I can’t make it foolproof, but I can make it reasonably difficult to get to.

I think we’re getting warmer. Thanks Kim.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim

To add to you "trouble shooting" you may want to be careful adding weight to the slide , to heavy may damage the motors , unless you are leaving it out all the time.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast