User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TX License Plate Renewal Cost & Process Example

Many people consider using Texas as their fulltime domicile and wonder about the normal renewal process, the cost and do I have to return to the state for safety inspection. I just received our license plate renewal notice. We have lived in Bastrop County Texas for 16 years.

Our 2018 Ram 3500 License plate renewal is $133.
    Normally your vehicle has to pass the annual safety inspection for the county you live in before you can renew the license plate. We are at home so I will get the safety inspection done. Bastrop County is a simple inspection, no emissions and costs like $4.50.

If we were out of state I would renew the license plates online or by mail and self certify that we are out of state and can not get the inspection done. They would mail our new registration stickers to us and place a remark in the vehicle record stating a current safety inspection hasn't been performed. After we return home we have 3 days to get the safety inspection done and the vehicle record updated. You can use the below links for more information.

https://renew.txdmv.gov/Renew/Regist...RenewalServlet

http://twostepsonesticker.com/motorists

By the way our older truck, a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 is $77.25 to renew the license plate.
    The same process can be used for the RV as well. I don't know the license plate costs yet, we just bought the unit and its not due until next year. I suspect it will be @ $100-140.
    Just thought i would share some actual costs with you if you were contemplating TX as your domicile. You would probably have Livingston TX as your address. I believe that is in Polk County.

Have a Great Day!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We renew the Texas registration for all three vehicles (truck, RV, car) on-line every year. We just certify during the on-line renewal process that the vehicles are out of state at the time. The registration forms and stickers are mailed to our Escapees mailing address in Livingston, TX, and we have the Escapees mail service forward them to wherever we are. Low cost, low hassle. We just have the vehicles inspected within three days whenever we re-enter Texas.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We renew the Texas registration for all three vehicles (truck, RV, car) on-line every year. We just certify during the on-line renewal process that the vehicles are out of state at the time. The registration forms and stickers are mailed to our Escapees mailing address in Livingston, TX, and we have the Escapees mail service forward them to wherever we are. Low cost, low hassle. We just have the vehicles inspected within three days whenever we re-enter Texas.

Rob
    Exactly what we do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Exactly what we do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ditto. 5 years with nary a problem. I just get the vehicles inspected when we return to the state each fall for our doctor appts.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for chiming in guys. Yup TX is pretty accommodating but then for us going fulltime, since we already live in TX, its pretty much just a change of address. Back 16 years ago when we left Ohio for Texas I knew there was a future reason everything lined up the way it did. The company the Wife was going to work for paid for our move to TX, that doesn't happen much anymore.

Been painting trim on the house getting it ready for next spring to put on the market. 3000 sq ft, What a pain, literally! I haven't climbed a ladder that much in a long time! 4 bdrm, 3 bath, full dining and living room, an office, 2 car attached garage to clean out and make pretty, 2 acres to make pretty, plus 1500 sq ft of workshop building space to clean out.
    And its getting hot in TX already mid to upper 80s. Was up on the roof yesterday, couldn't set on the shingles, burned right through my jeans! God I hope the housing market stays good through to when we sell out! We have upped our time table for going fulltime from 24 months to 18. We'll have to pay more for health insurance since we wont be quite 65 yet but are afraid of what might happen to the housing market and property taxes. But if we sell the house and land for what its valued at now we'll be set up nicely.

Got to get back at it! Only time will tell!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-17-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check our video on Escapees and the TX domicile process

https://youtu.be/fx4A0KkNxYI