User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ram 2500 and tow a 348. I have weighed the rv full and empty. Be sure you check your rear axle and of course tires. I have seen some trucks with
    lower axles ratings, not sure why. In my case I am under all the weight limits except the pin/ cargo. I understand the weight class thing. My setup works
    great, tows very well. I think you will find that the guys that have 3500 and dually trucks will be the ones to tell you your truck will not longer work.
    As far as the insurance thing and claims being denied, total Bs. I dont know where this garbage keeps coming from. Dont let scare tactis dictate
    your decison. Maybe do some checking on the truck sites, the weight police are there too, but also good info.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those that believe that all the 3/4 ton and 1 ton are the same because the online part numbers are the same between the trucks try this. Write down 4 or 5 part numbers from the suspension and the rear axle parts and bring them to the Ford parts counter and try to order them. The first thing they are going to ask you is the Make, Model and Yea and the computer can't even give parts status till has the info. Then ask why he needs that information and if the part guy knows his stuff he going to tell that parts have been upgraded by year and model and the computer will select the proper part for that truck, He will also explain that over the years when the ratings have been increases that some call that same truck but there has been increment upgrades to trucks to justify the. upgrades in capablies. Some of those changes apply to the 3/4 ton and some only to the 1 ton.

I paid for the advice from accident attorney about exceeding any manufacture. spec that there has a warning the the owners manual. He used the example of F250 pulling a 5th wheel that exceeding the manufacture specs even lightly loaded and if could take a simple claim into a million dollar claim. He said no attorney having a clients interest at heart would ever let his client face a jury exceed manufacture specs that's in he truck owners manual and would setling out of court for lot more than if not exceeding specs.. Few months later a customer of mine that is an attorney gave me basically the same advice for free since he knew I was a RV’er and he also used the F250 example hmmm. Since you can get that information from the VIN numbers of the truck and RV that tells me that attorneys know and understand the issues.

Those that say that what I have insurance for my want to talk to their agent about policy limits and if they are exceeded. Also got the recommendation for my Attorney to carry umbrella policy of at least a million dollars to cover the excess an accident could cost over my standard insurance police limits. If you have assets you need to protect I believe that good idea and it’s not that expensive. A 12,000 to 30,000 pound RV could cause a lot injuries in a accident far exceeding any damages limits you will cause in your 5,000 pound car.

Here is a website maintained and support by attorneys that has some info on the subject.

“Towing in excess of the vehicle manufactures’s weight limits could not only prove dangerous but could be considered negligent In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.”
    Link: http://www.personalinjuryclaimsblawg...ity-for-rvers/
    Last edited by CWSWine; 05-26-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insurance claims denied is touchy subject. Depends state by state but as a general rule it's near impossible to not to pay claim within the limits of the policy and that's from my attorney. I will say an employee of mine got drunk and crash into a dozen parked cars doing over 100,000 dollars in damage and the judge awarded damages and that all parties made whole including paying back the insurance company for all claims paid, legal expense and he even had to pay interest on the amount. I received a order from the court to withhold 55% of his pay and forward to to the court. Shortly after he left state and never heard from him again.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 05-26-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are talking about pin weight here, not exceeding the GCW or tow limits. You are making an extreme case argument and its basically scare tactics.
    Comparing a drunk driver to overload pin weight is not legit. Not very helpful either.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhavasu View Post
    We are talking about pin weight here, not exceeding the GCW or tow limits. You are making an extreme case argument and its basically scare tactics.
    Comparing a drunk driver to overload pin weight is not legit. Not very helpful either.
    I was commenting on the post above about Insurance claims denied that was brought up by in previous post. So what's your comment on the link below.

https://www.personalinjuryclaimsblaw...ity-for-rvers/

After reading the above link I verified the above information with my attorney - have you?
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Those that believe that all the 3/4 ton and 1 ton are the same because the online part numbers are the same between the trucks try this. Write down 4 or 5 part numbers from the suspension and the rear axle parts and bring them to the Ford parts counter and try to order them. The first thing they are going to ask you is the Make, Model and Yea and the computer can't even give parts status till has the info. Then ask why he needs that information and if the part guy knows his stuff he going to tell that parts have been upgraded by year and model and the computer will select the proper part for that truck, He will also explain that over the years when the ratings have been increases that some call that same truck but there has been increment upgrades to trucks to justify the. upgrades in capablies. Some of those changes apply to the 3/4 ton and some only to the 1 ton.

I paid for the advice from accident attorney about exceeding any manufacture. spec that there has a warning the the owners manual. He used the example of F250 pulling a 5th wheel that exceeding the manufacture specs even lightly loaded and if could take a simple claim into a million dollar claim. He said no attorney having a clients interest at heart would ever let his client face a jury exceed manufacture specs that's in he truck owners manual and would setling out of court for lot more than if not exceeding specs.. Few months later a customer of mine that is an attorney gave me basically the same advice for free since he knew I was a RV’er and he also used the F250 example hmmm. Since you can get that information from the VIN numbers of the truck and RV that tells me that attorneys know and understand the issues.

Those that say that what I have insurance for my want to talk to their agent about policy limits and if they are exceeded. Also got the recommendation for my Attorney to carry umbrella policy of at least a million dollars to cover the excess an accident could cost over my standard insurance police limits. If you have assets you need to protect I believe that good idea and it’s not that expensive. A 12,000 to 30,000 pound RV could cause a lot injuries in a accident far exceeding any damages limits you will cause in your 5,000 pound car.

Here is a website maintained and support by attorneys that has some info on the subject.

“Towing in excess of the vehicle manufactures’s weight limits could not only prove dangerous but could be considered negligent In the event of an accident with an overweight personal vehicle, you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property.”
    Link: http://www.personalinjuryclaimsblawg...ity-for-rvers/
    Would you mind if I shared this info on some other forums/places....without your name of course.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I was commenting on the post above about Insurance claims denied that was brought up by in previous post. So what's your comment on the link below.

https://www.personalinjuryclaimsblaw...ity-for-rvers/

After reading the above link I verified the above information with my attorney - have you?
    I can post links to lots of attorney websites also from every subject under the sun. But lets talk real life, I am in the insurance industry and in the last 30
    years have never seen anything like you describe unless there is alcohol involved. And I work in sue happy CA.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can post links to lots of attorney websites also from every subject under the sun. But lets talk real life, I am in the insurance industry and in the last 30
    years have never seen anything like you describe unless there is alcohol involved. And I work in sue happy CA.
    Ok, and I have 50+, and actually work for an insurance company, run a branch office doing truck insurance. In CA we are often paying claims that we don’t think are worth what we settle for because attorneys in CA and FL have figured out they can push us to pay because of “ unfair claims practices”, which if it’s in front of a jury ends up costing triple damages. We recently paid $3.3 MM on a claim with a policy limit of $1MM.

So the probability of a claim being denied in CA or FL is small, other states with fewer sharks in the water I wouldn’t want to bet on it.

The previous comment about lack of sufficient limits is the largest risk to most. Even for someone with $25/50/25, limits, if you are responsible/negligent, and are involved in a non fender bender accident, or if there are multiple vehicles involved, you would be “ responsible “ for the damages beyond your limits.......think of a accident on the 405 with a couple of Mercedes involved......$25k doesn’t go far.

So being in the biz I am, no doubt, on the side of excess capacity rather than making do.
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's Fine Sir. I'm in a little midwest state of Kansas and I have talked to two Personel Injury Lawyers from two different firms that say there is exposer for exceeding ANY of the warnings on vehicle limitations listed in the owners manual and towing guides. One of these lawyers has been in business since 1969 so over 30 years. I have also seen too many ads on TV for Personnel Injury lawyers claiming large segments to risk ruining my retirement years with a large settlement against me. I like to limit my exposer as much as possible along with keep my family safe and others on the road.

Last edited by CWSWine; 05-26-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydawg View Post
    We have a 2017 350M being towed by a Short Bed 4x4 2017 Ram 2500 with the larger diesel w/ air suspension.
    Reading this forum has frightened me as to the prospect of putting my BMW motorcycle in the garage and hauling it around the country. I'm going to sound kind of stupid because I'm really new at this but we have the largest Pullright slider hitch offered. Am I way out of bounds? We have put roughly 2000 miles without incident or difficulty.
    Kennydawg--as you've read in this thread, there are passionate voices on all sides of this debate. This topic is frequently, and with vigor, discussed on this forum.

I hope it is clear at this point that it is imperative that you understand the specifications (according to the manufacturer) of your truck and trailer and how they interact. Once you have that understanding (you may already?) then it is up to you to determine what is safe for you, your family, and the fellow travelers you'll be surrounded by when you're on the road.

If you haven't yet looked at this thread in the Reference Library, I implore you to do so.

How To Determine Your Truck's Trailer Towing Capability
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ing-Capability

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast