User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, ocean city joe here. My wife and I have the same reflection, a year newer. I am interested in a tire replacement before a big trip. When you installed the sailuns did you need to swap wheels or did the work on the originals? Thank you for any info you can provide as we are new to all this!,

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We replaced our Westlakes with the Sailun ST 637s. Make sure the dealer installs all metal valve stems because these tires are rated for a higher pressure.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceancityjoe View Post
    Rob, ocean city joe here. My wife and I have the same reflection, a year newer. I am interested in a tire replacement before a big trip. When you installed the sailuns did you need to swap wheels or did the work on the originals? Thank you for any info you can provide as we are new to all this!,
    Joe,

If you use the "Quote" function when asking a question (as I've done here), the person will get a notification. In answer to your question, we checked with GD (who checked with Lionshead) and it was confirmed that our wheels were rated for both the pressure and the loads (which they were) before installing the Sailuns. So, we used the OEM alloy wheels with new valve stems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Rob - The Goodyear G614 is actually a type of hybrid. It is an LT based tire designed specifically for towing purposes. In fact, if you look at the tire size, it is LT 235/85R16. In this case, the LT designation is part of the required markings.

And if you compare the Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 to an actual ST tire of the same size, you'll notice that weight capacity of two equally sized tires is different:

Goodyear G614 RST LT 235/85R16, LR "G" = 3,750#
    Sailun S637 ST 235/85R16, LR "G" = 4,400#

Same size, but 650# more capacity out of the Sailuns (and other true "ST" tires of the same size and load range).

Jim

I'm taking our 2015 Momentum 380TH to work on alignment and new tires (from my last 2+ hours of scouring the forums, looks like probably a bent axle/spindle.) As a result of that research, plus looking at the Goodyear page, I think you may have missed something (edit: correction, I missed, not you. The G614 is specifically the LT tire.) Yes, the LT235/85R16 has a rating of 3,750# at 110PSI.

*BUT*

The ST235/85R16 (Endurance ST tire vs. the Unisteel LT) is a Trailer tire. The problem? It's only available in LR E, but rated to 3640# at 80PSI. I'm confused, because the Goodyear Load/Inflation Information sheet (https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf) shows that same tire going up to 110PSI and holding 4400#. Is the tire itself is ok at 110PSI? It's "only" an E rated tire.

(I'll also note that, if my math is right, my trailer- with a GVWR of 19,500#- should be ok with tires that have a 3,250# rating, and that assumes no weight on my pin box. So that tells me that the GY's *should* be ok, even though I think I have G rated tires today. Did I miss something?)
    Last edited by wrp75_CO; 05-31-2019 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Updated to correct something I missed.
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated, now that it's not almost midnight and I've had some coffee.

- I'm running G's on my 380TH today (which have to be replaced) but I only fill them to 80 PSI per the trailer.
    - I get that the weight isn't equally distributed across the tires, but I'm giving myself the pin box weight of 0 (i.e. the full load of the trailer exclusively on the tires, which isn't true) for some engineering factor of safety.
    - I don't have a toy in the back, but I do occasionally drive with ~ 1,000# of water in the fresh tank for boondocking. So I don't want to go too light.

My real question at this point: do I get any benefit from G rated tires if I only fill them to E rated pressure (80 PSI vs. 110 PSI)?
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The benefit is you're much less likely to have a blowout.

As for tire pressure, ideally you would use an inflation table provided by the tire manufacturer. The tire pressure should be correlated to the weight.

I've got our Sailun ST637 14 ply load range G tires at 90 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by wrp75_CO View Post
    Updated, now that it's not almost midnight and I've had some coffee.

- I'm running G's on my 380TH today (which have to be replaced) but I only fill them to 80 PSI per the trailer.
    - I get that the weight isn't equally distributed across the tires, but I'm giving myself the pin box weight of 0 (i.e. the full load of the trailer exclusively on the tires, which isn't true) for some engineering factor of safety.
    - I don't have a toy in the back, but I do occasionally drive with ~ 1,000# of water in the fresh tank for boondocking. So I don't want to go too light.

My real question at this point: do I get any benefit from G rated tires if I only fill them to E rated pressure (80 PSI vs. 110 PSI)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    The benefit is you're much less likely to have a blowout.

As for tire pressure, ideally you would use an inflation table provided by the tire manufacturer. The tire pressure should be correlated to the weight.

I've got our Sailun ST637 14 ply load range G tires at 90 psi.
    Thank you for the reply! I'm really torn- I do like the G rating I can get on a Sailun or Westlake, but (for several reasons) I'd also really prefer an American-manufactured tire (which, so far as I can tell, doesn't exist.)

Can you tell me why a blowout is less likely with a G?

Thanks again.
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only guess at the reasons it's less likely to blow out - namely that it's a 14 ply tire meant for heavier trailers. There have been very few or no reports of Sailun ST637 blowouts AFAIK. I don't think it's particularly a higher "quality" tire. It probably just has to do with being more robust.

I priced out the Sailuns vs the Goodyears and I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the Goodyears.

Thank you for the reply! I'm really torn- I do like the G rating I can get on a Sailun or Westlake, but (for several reasons) I'd also really prefer an American-manufactured tire (which, so far as I can tell, doesn't exist.)

Can you tell me why a blowout is less likely with a G?

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those following along at home: we ultimately decided to go with Hercules ST tire that fit our rig. I suppose if it blows up on us I'll come back and update the thread.
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those following along at home: we ultimately decided to go with Hercules ST tire that fit our rig. I suppose if it blows up on us I'll come back and update the thread.
    It's been almost 3 years. How do you like them?
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast