User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    pwrplay
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I have a slider on my F350 short bed. While on my trip this summer, I was blocking traffic on a road while trying to back into a friend's property. I tried to hurry, so I didn't move the slider (which is manual). To make a long story short, there was a little slope, and a tight turn. I "kissed" the back of my F350 and put a minor dent in the cab. Oops... That automatic slider sure would have been nice, and probably cheaper in the long run compared to body work.
    Oh man bummer that it happened but thanks for sharing that. I'll now be using my slider when in any doubt about clearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VC,

I like the PullRite hitch and like the idea of not needing it and having it or even having to think about it at all. PPL link below will sell you the unit tax free and ship it to you. I called around and found someone to install for $420. All quotes I received for buying the hitch and installation were high. It is still higher but I felt well worth it. I also included the PullRite site. Just make sure on the PPL site you have the right hitch selected. It is pretty self clear on their instructions but you can always call them for help. Good luck on your decision.

http://www.pullrite.com/products/tra...ort-bed-trucks

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ifth-hitch.htm
    Kamper
    Johnny & Mary
    Henderson, NC 4 Now
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab High Country
    24K Pullrite ISR 5th Wheel Hitch with Super Rails

:cool:

S.Mine
    Well I am hoping I dont have any troubles with my Momentum and B&W I already have. I might have to look into a slider hitch. Great info in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow my 369rl with a Ram 3500 4x4 short bed super cab and Ram boxes. I needed to use a Sidewinder because the bed is a little narrow and a slider would hit. The Sidewinder works very well and I can use any hitch to tow my Solitude if anything happens to my truck. With the slider you have to have a hitch which will hook up to a slider. Just my 2 cents.
    Richard & Sandy
    Solitude 369rl #2954
    2014 Ram 3500 Super cab, Ram box 6.7 Cummins 4X4 SRW
    Charleston area SC

Virginia Camper
    Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. Keep the comments coming. I definitely have a lot to think about. I think I will go down to the dealer and measure from the center of the king pin to around 80 degrees and see what that distance is. From the back of my cab to where the center of the gooseneck whole is in my bed is 36 inches. I think the companion OE will allow a set back of around 2 more inches. Hopefully the rounded front of the 369RL will cut the 50.5" down enough to allow the 80 degree turn. That is probably wishful thinking. As a side note...we only camp in places that are nicely set up, so I don't really think I would ever go past 60 degrees on a turn or backing up.
    Last edited by Virginia Camper; 09-17-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Virginia Camper
    S. Mine, What kind of truck do you have? The Momentum is the same width as the 369RL (101"). I would also like to know what kind of clearence you have if you have a short bed. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a slider for my last 5er installed in my 2500HD short bed Chevy. When I bought my current truck I had the dealer mover the slider into the truck as part of the deal. Now that I have to replace my 5th wheel hitch, I am going with a non-slider that mounts into the same bed rail system currently installed. That did limit however my choices of hitches.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Home" is Dacula, GA. Currently working in Waynesboro, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to the forum and just bought a Solitude 369RL. This isn't our first fifth wheel however but I did run into an unusual circumstance that made me come up with a unique setup. I've been using a Curt Q24 with a slider. The hitch was a little overkill on capacity but when you get a deal you don't turn it down. I've got a short box GMC 2500HD and since we live on a cul-de-sac the slider was a must to turn the fifth wheel around. Our first FW was a 39' + Freedom Elite. My truck has been in the shop being repaired due to a lightning strike and I desperately needed to pick up the 369RL last weekend as I live in it during the week for work. My only other available vehicle was another 2500HD but it has a goose neck hitch. My solution was the purchase of a Curt X5 gooseneck adapter plate. It allowed me to use my hitch in that bed. Worked like a charm. In fact I like it so much I'll probably have a gooseneck installed in the next truck I buy and just use this setup for now on. I like the fifth wheel hitch but I hate the permanent rails in the bed. Makes it a pain to load anything since the rails are always interfering. With the new truck I'll have a clean bed. You don't have to have the slider to use the adapter, but like others have said it's good to have it " just in case". I've seen some nasty dents on trucks at some campsites where they thought they were okay but weren't. Cheap insurance when you look at the overall scheme of things, especially with a short bed.
    Don and Jean - Dacula, GA
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2015 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW Long Bed
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager - Let the Good Times Roll!

Virginia Camper
    Just to let everyone know why I do NOT want a slider...is because I want a clean bed when I am not towing; which is most of the time. I also want to be able to remove the hitch without breaking my back or getting a hernia. I want my cake and eat it too. So far in my research, the Reese Elite 18K with slider is the lightest. I weighs 190lbs and can be taken apart without any effort. The base/mount weighs 145lbs and the head weighs 45lbs. 145 is heavy, but manageable. I am really hoping I can get by without a slider using the B&W OE Companion. It weighs 141 pounds and can be taken apart even easier with both parts weighing in at approximately 70lbs. That would be ideal. I will report back when I have more information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Sidewinder and have nothing but great things to say. No moving parts to worry about, less weight, provides more turning clearance than a slider hitch and leaves the weight on top of the axle. I also have full use of the box of the truck around the hitch and I can easily remove my hitch alone in about 3 minutes. Works with many brands of hitches. My camping buddy has one on his Reflection also.
    Paul
    North Bay, Ontario
    2014 Reflection 293RES
    VIN # 200283
    2014 Ram 2500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast