User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kregli View Post
    Jim, I think the fake leather doesn't react well to sweat from the human body. Mine was pristine for 3 years of heavy use, then I went through a period where I was doing some work in a hot environment and came in sweaty. I sat on the same section several days in a row and a couple months later that section started pealing. May be a coincidence, but that's my guess.
    I was trying to be discrete and not mention sweating, but I do think it is at least part of the problem. That, and the fact that faux leather is a crappy product generally.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2016 has held up well so far (fingers crossed). I have to wonder if some of this is related to environment? We live in upstate NY where it rarely gets excessively hot and our trailer is kept in the shade pretty much all year, so it never super heats. I don't know the answer, but our 2016 couch looks fine up to this point. Inspected it the other day and it looks like the day we bought it. However, we do keep it covered as we have a crazed pack of pugs who can get a bit crazy at times.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone is partly right in the fabric issues. The root cause is, number one, this is a very poor product in general and solely depends on the quality of fabric construction when manufactured. The variations of if and when what fails, I believe, depend on the quality of batch of material when the pieces of furniture were made. As far as use, areas of my couch that were rarely used peeled just like the used areas. I keep my trailer in an enclosed metal structure with humidifier running and temperature controlled. All furniture should have the ability to stand up to moderate to heavy use that they know will occur in a travel trailer. I've had 5 RVs over the last 23 years and never heard of this type of failure till now. The manufacturers who don't stand behind there products will ultimately suffer in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 Solitude and our Thomas Payne (Pain in the ...) theater seating is peeling. Come on Grand Design...back the products you put in your units! Get quality or get out of the business.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say me too. Thomas Payne in a 2017 303 RLS.
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 Diesel
    2018 Goldwing Tour

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone with these peeling problems considered just getting them reupholstered by a reputable shop using better materials? I have built a few motorcycle seats over the years since 2001 and had a local upholstery shop build and install the covers using a product called "Illusion Leather". It is the modern day iteration of Naugahyde that some of you may remember. This new stuff is about as tough as any material I have ever seen. It is softer and more durable than leather and requires no special care if it gets wet like leather. I've got it on two bikes that have set out in the sun many hours while I used them to commute to work from 2000 until I retired in 2017. From what I can tell, it is colored all the way through, so peeling should never be a problem. If the furniture is comfortable and functional, it might be worth looking into.
    Last edited by cruisinTx; 09-07-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    those who say "I can't", will always be right

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving old thread.

2017 Reflection 337RLS. Last week our furniture was perfect. Then 6 days ago there was a small area where we rest our heads that showed some bubbles. Almost immediately it started peeling all over. In just 5 days it looks like crap.

What have others done for a solution.

This is a arm rest that was perfect 5 days ago. The peeling is advancing horribly almost by the hour it seems.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s what we did. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	34958
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	34959
    Cheap, effective, and brings that southwestern look into our coach. And I don’t stick to it. This will work until the arms start peeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 Diesel
    2018 Goldwing Tour

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tubastew View Post
    Here’s what we did. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	34958
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	34959
    Cheap, effective, and brings that southwestern look into our coach. And I don’t stick to it. This will work until the arms start peeling.

Just watched this the other day as well.

https://youtu.be/qbi5It-v7zQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The material that is failing is called "bonded leather". This is a commonly used material as it is cheap and "looks" like leather. I am in the furniture repair business and handle moving company damage claims.

We frequently see this sort of peeling on this material. It is AWFUL material that will not stand up to body oils and especially heat. This is especially bad in RV's which are commonly stored while not in use and it gets hot inside.

I always tell people if you want leather furniture be sure to spend the extra money and buy genuine leather that with care will last many years.

For an RV, fabric is the way to go. I have a 2019 Imagine and have already had the dinette cushions replaced with upgraded high density foam and quality fabric and will be recovering the tri-fold couch soon.

Besides the bonded leather, the foam inside the cushions was awful, when we sat down I could feel the board.

Note that reupholster costs can be very high like everything else here in San Diego.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast