User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Stuck jaws on Curt hitch

Last week we did a 10 mile trip to one of our favorite campsites at Amity COE park on West Point Lake. Arrived at beautiful 50 amp campsite and backed in with no problems. Ready to disconnect from hitch and pulled the release bar on my Curt hitch. The jaws on my hitch would not release from king pin. I raised the trailer a little to release more weight from hitch and tried again. Pulled on release bar until it hurt my hand. Tried several times and no luck. Finally, I used a crow bar to pry the right side jaw open slightly. After doing this, I was able to get the hitch to release and pull the truck away from the king pin.

Problem found.... I had used a liberal amount of red lithium axle grease on my king pin and hitch jaws. Over time (approx. 1 year) the grease had stiffened around the hitch jaws and would not let the release mechanism work as intended. Jaws were sticking together.

Solution: Thank goodness I was only 10 miles from home base. I went home and broke out the pressure washer. Cleaned all old grease from the hitch jaws. Hitch latch and release mechanism works like new again. Only a light coating of grease is now on the king pin. New procedure in my checklist is to manually operate the hitch release before hooking up.
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend whose wife owns/operates an 18 wheeler. Same happened to her. Same fix, had to pry the jays open with large prybar. He disassembled the hitch and found the jaw pins corroded. Grease had been going around the pins.
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Curt Q25 does not like to unlock if I lift the trailer weight off of it. I usually just lift until the truck starts to rise, unlock, then take weight off of hitch and drive out. I have not had any problems since changing the unlock position.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
    Problem found.... I had used a liberal amount of red lithium axle grease on my king pin and hitch jaws. Over time (approx. 1 year) the grease had stiffened around the hitch jaws and would not let the release mechanism work as intended. Jaws were sticking together. Solution: Thank goodness I was only 10 miles from home base. I went home and broke out the pressure washer. Cleaned all old grease from the hitch jaws. Hitch latch and release mechanism works like new again. Only a light coating of grease is now on the king pin. New procedure in my checklist is to manually operate the hitch release before hooking up.
    I am NOT a hitch expert, I just play one in this forum.

Thought I'd pass along that Pullrite, respected maker of the Superglide hitch that we use, recommends lubricating both the locking jaws and the sliding pressure plate on which the entire pin weight of the trailer glides (not the jack-plate, this is different, you can look it up) with WD-40! Now that's light lubrication.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Krusen View Post
    My Curt Q25 does not like to unlock if I lift the trailer weight off of it. I usually just lift until the truck starts to rise, unlock, then take weight off of hitch and drive out. I have not had any problems since changing the unlock position.
    I can see how lifting the king pin too high would put [bottom side] pressure on the hitch jaws, making it difficult to release. I usually lift the trailer only until the truck stops rising. After the front jacks are grounded that is only about another 3-4 inches. Please explain what you mean by "changing the unlock position". My unit has the Ground Control 3.0 auto leveling electric jacks. Your Momentum may have a feature not available on mine.
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
    I can see how lifting the king pin too high would put [bottom side] pressure on the hitch jaws, making it difficult to release. I usually lift the trailer only until the truck stops rising. After the front jacks are grounded that is only about another 3-4 inches. Please explain what you mean by "changing the unlock position". My unit has the Ground Control 3.0 auto leveling electric jacks. Your Momentum may have a feature not available on mine.
    I just meant changing the height at which I unlock.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Curt Q20 and it can be finiky sometimes when unhooking. Like said above it needs a little pressure on the fifth wheel plate to release easily. Also back up very slightly to release the jaws. Curt recommends using a black graphite grease but it's hard to find and expensive. I've been using the white lithium grease and it seems to work OK. Make sure all 3 fittings are greased and shoot a little where they recommend on the bottom. Over all its a great hitch!!
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not use a dry graphite spray?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you cant dodge it, RAM it.:jaw:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waking up this thread.

We got home from a second nice weekend in Central Oregon. Smooth sailing the whole 120 mile trip. Get home; unload the bike and back into the driveway from the blindside like I've been doing for 5 years. I back in perfect. First try. Fastest ever. Things are going to smooth.

The Curt 25 WILL NOT RELEASE. We fought it for a half hour on better. Up, down. Forward, back. It would not release. I finally said he!! with it and released the hitch from the factory pucks. After that; I was able to shake it loose from the king-pin.

It sounds like a cleaning and lubing is in order. Anything else??? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Waking up this thread.

We got home from a second nice weekend in Central Oregon. Smooth sailing the whole 120 mile trip. Get home; unload the bike and back into the driveway from the blindside like I've been doing for 5 years. I back in perfect. First try. Fastest ever. Things are going to smooth.

The Curt 25 WILL NOT RELEASE. We fought it for a half hour on better. Up, down. Forward, back. It would not release. I finally said he!! with it and released the hitch from the factory pucks. After that; I was able to shake it loose from the king-pin.

It sounds like a cleaning and lubing is in order. Anything else??? KEN
    What has worked well for me is lower landing gear to the ground, raise trailer an inch, have wife back truck slightly, pull release handle, raise trailer and pull out. Have not had a problem since following this procedure.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast