User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions Regarding Max Amp Usage

Strange thing I noticed for first time today. We’re in a seasonal spot at a lake. Almost no one else hear at the moment, so low electrical use in park.

We have a 50 amp system on our trailer. We have a 30 amp plug available at the post. I have a 50 amp progressive portable EMS plugged into the post using a 30/50 adapter. We don’t generally use high amp appliances at the same time to avoid issues. I’ve never noticed the amps on both legs adding up to more than 30 amps. As a matter of fact, I figured the 30 amp circuit breaker on the post would trip if that occurred.

So this morning we were using the electrical fireplace, the electrical water heater, electrical fridge, and my wife had the hair dryer going. I was out dumping the tanks and looked at the EMS. The first leg showed 28 amps, and the second showed 15, for a total of 43 amps. I had to look at this a few times as it cycled through to believe it.

I went inside and shut a couple appliances down until the wife was done with the hair dryer, and the water heater caught up.

What do you think? Should this have been allowed by the parks electrical system? Big deal, or no big deal? Just wondering.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 30 Amp breaker at the campground is faulty....unless this amount of current was for only a few seconds.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    The 30 Amp breaker at the campground is faulty....unless this amount of current was for only a few seconds.
    Hi Steve (@Steve7)

I agree with xrated, that should not have been possible unless the campground breaker is faulty or mis-labeled.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Steve (@Steve7)

I agree with xrated, that should not have been possible unless the campground breaker is faulty or mis-labeled.

Rob
    I heard that a worker put 50 amp to his site last year, which is two sites up the row f of us. I know that I only have the three wires for the 30 amp though as my plug in was replaced when I got here because it showed a code of “Reverse Polarity”. The person assigned to electrical here switched the plug and I haven’t got that code again. He said it appeared to have been wired correctly though prior.

I will mention to the worker again and see what he thinks. Thanks for the responses and if you think of anything else I’ll keep an eye out for it.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    I know that I only have the three wires for the 30 amp . . .
    Those three wires could feed any 120V breaker attached to the end of them. This might be a 30A or a single 40A or 50A. Not that the wires would necessarily be sized for the current that the breaker could allow. It sounds like your park has had some "questionable" electrical work. Is "30A" embossed the breaker lever? I would press the park to install a new 30A breaker based on your EMS observations.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those three wires could feed any 120V breaker attached to the end of them. This might be a 30A or a single 40A or 50A. Not that the wires would necessarily be sized for the current that the breaker could allow. It sounds like your park has had some "questionable" electrical work. Is "30A" embossed the breaker lever? I would press the park to install a new 30A breaker based on your EMS observations.

Rob
    This is an old park with some wacky electrical, but I feel safe with the EMS. The circuit breaker does say 30 on it. The man in charge of this stuff is gonna check it when it stops raining and likely put in a new breaker. I’ll then see if I can get it to trip.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    This is an old park with some wacky electrical, but I feel safe with the EMS. The circuit breaker does say 30 on it. The man in charge of this stuff is gonna check it when it stops raining and likely put in a new breaker. I’ll then see if I can get it to trip.
    As long as you are using your portable EMS at the post and your 50A cord, all is good. The risk would be someone with a built in 50A EMS (or no EMS) and the 30->50 adapter at the trailer so they could use a lighter weight 30A cord. The trailer could pull more than 30A (as yours is doing) through a cord rated for 30A.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you are using your portable EMS at the post and your 50A cord, all is good. The risk would be someone with a built in 50A EMS (or no EMS) and the 30->50 adapter at the trailer so they could use a lighter weight 30A cord. The trailer could pull more than 30A (as yours is doing) through a cord rated for 30A.

Rob
    Good point Rob. I’ve always agreed that knowing what the electrical is prior to going into your trailer wiring (including the power cord), is a good thing. I should have the new CB on by tomorrow, and more info regarding what is going on.

The weather has been crazy this year, and this week is no exception. In the 80’s last week, this week lots of rain and lows in the 30’s. We’re supposed to get a break tomorrow.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, Xrated, or whoever cares. The person assigned to electrical duties wasn’t much help. We did trouble shoot and found that we were able to get leg one up to 47 amps, while leg two was at 15 amps. That’s 62 total amps! That was also after he replaced the circuit breaker. He doesn’t know much and couldn’t figure a way to confirm with his multimeter if my EMS is reading properly. I tried it with mine at the plug, but also am not familiar with how to do this.

I spoke with Progressive Industries, who said that they believe the circuit should break whenever the two numbers of the legs add up to more than 30 in my case (with a couple point margin for error). They think the unit will protect the trailer but also wanted to confirm if it was agreeing with what the post says.

If anyone can explain an easy way to do this with a digital multimeter I will attempt it, otherwise I may have to let it go and make sure I don’t overload it.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you list everything that was turned on when you got those last readings....the 47amps and the 15 amps
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast