User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good day all,
    We just got in a pre-owned 2018 2500RL and love it! Had it out twice and no issues except Dometic thermostat cover (they are sending a new one free)! However, reading about how many issues they are having with the Dexter 2 3/8 inch axles, I'm thinking about being proactive and just replace them now with the 3". I'm new at repairs and parts. I'm reading above about Morryde CRE3000, HD shackles, wet bolts, spring hangers etc. Wanted to ask...if I call Dexter, will they be able to recommend to me all the parts I would need to replace the axles and the better parts to go with to upgrade? I'm thinking so, but just getting your thoughts before I call them next week. Also, if I have all this shipped to my local repair shop, what should I expect to pay for them to do all the labor on this? Thanks to all! Great forum!

Ray
    2018 Imagine 2500RL
    2017 Ford F-250

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $300 to $500 would be a far price. It's not a big job.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    $300 to $500 would be a far price. It's not a big job.
    Thanks Jim! I appreciate the feedback! Hey, grew up and lived in Sacramento! Loved Nor Cal but retired in Texas with my Texan wife!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE- Just got the rig back from the shop new 3inch tube axles ,MORyde , HD shackles and wet bolts , pulls nice and not the noise from the suspension, only a 15 mile tow on the freeway so can not really get the feel yet . A ? I have is when I picked the rig up after hooking up I slid the brake controller over to the check brake function old setting 7.5 to 8.0 had to go to 10 gain for stopping power , called the shop the next day service mgr said takes a bit for the brakes to settle in , I thought these were self adjusting brakes called Dexter gave them the SKU # Dexter said not self adjusting , do I need to lift trailer and adjust before next short trip to the beach? DEDennis

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a GD ralley texas and they were offering a brake disk and axle conversion. A Couple I meet did the conversion. I asked the installer to look at mine since i own a imagine 2500Rl. After seeing slight inside wear on one rear curb tire thought i may have a bent spindle. He asked me if i wanted the axles off a 5th wheel solitude. He verified sizes and said i would have a one up set. 4100 axels from the 3500 all i had to do was mount my drums to them and i would be in business. I ordered moryde cre3000 for new shakels and wet bolt HD kit. I cleaned up my new axels painted with rust reverser and black enamel paint looked all brand new. Jacked up trailer removed old ones. Was Not rocket science. Installed via directions ,easy to follow. By myself jobber took about 6 hrs. Give or take 30 minute for chow break.my trailer never rode so smooth all running true and straight. One note i did have discount tire verify balance of all tires, all tires were out of balance! They found a warpped rim. On the bad tire i mentioned earlier. Lion head warranty sent me new tire and wheel to replace. SO all in all im a happy camper. Peace of mind always good to have. Better axels ,more load capacity, bigger spindle pin. Can it be done ?yes sir you bet your hat...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
    Well, I've joined the bent axle club. We were on trip about 25 miles from our first night destination and I told my wife that I thought the trailer was becoming a bit wobbly. We stopped for gas and I found that I had a flat tire. When I changed the tire, I realized that it had worn through to the steel belts. Upon further inspection, I realized that the tires were canted in at the top, causing undue stress on the inside of the tire, also there was a similar wear pattern on the other tire on the axle. Once the tire was changed, we continued on to our destination. We made some more evaluations, had an axle company look at our rig and nursed it home, stopping periodically to check things out.

I immediately had called GD customer service and was instructed to send them pictures via email. By early afternoon, I received a response that they had sent my email and pictures on to Dexter axles for evaluation. By early the next day I was advised that Dexter would be replacing my axles. I just needed to tell them where to send the axles to for repairs.

Long story short - We may not have finished our intended trip, but we have a great story to tell. I now have new axles and Goodyear Endurance tires and am getting ready for our next trip. Grand Design was great throughout the entire process and hats of to Dexter as well. Hopefully this will be the worse thing that happens, but I"m convinced that GD will stand behind their product.

GD4life...
    Vince
    Great story Vince! I'll add a short and similar story: Although this relates to our first RV which was not a GD, I'm really glad that GD has partnered up with Dexter because:

We were in Elkhart last year for a GD tour. Just about 30 miles before arriving we stopped at a rest stop and were signaled by another RV'r (In a GD Imagine) that something looked odd on our rig.
    He looked underneath and although we had no flat, the wear on the tire looked just as you described in your incident. We went the 30 miles slow and careful and arrived at our Campsite. We called out an independent certified RVIA technician for an inspection and he said we were going no farther with the current axles, the suspension system needed a total replacement. He gave me the name and number of the Dexter Service Department Mgr which was six miles away!

Fast Forward: Got an appointment and took the rig to Dexter a couple days later, we had 1000% excellent and professional service. The Service Manager was a 40 year (yes, 40 year) employee of Dexter. They replaced the entire suspension system (except tires) in 1 day and away we went. I'm very happy that our GD Imagine 2250RK has Dexter Axles which come with a 5 year warranty (warrantied by Dexter). Even though the SM stated that because we were loaded right to the max and per our story had traveled through some INCREDIBLEY torn up roads in NJ, Dexter felt it was the right thing to do by replacing everything.
    The cost to us? ZERO. I'm a big fan of both GD and Dexter, for life! "That's my story, I'm sticking to it" btw: in the meantime I've added the Dexter suspension upgrade and GY Endurance tires. Good to Go for now. Travel safe!!
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Great story Vince! I'll add a short and similar story: Although this relates to our first RV which was not a GD, I'm really glad that GD has partnered up with Dexter because:

We were in Elkhart last year for a GD tour. Just about 30 miles before arriving we stopped at a rest stop and were signaled by another RV'r (In a GD Imagine) that something looked odd on our rig.
    He looked underneath and although we had no flat, the wear on the tire looked just as you described in your incident. We went the 30 miles slow and careful and arrived at our Campsite. We called out an independent certified RVIA technician for an inspection and he said we were going no farther with the current axles, the suspension system needed a total replacement. He gave me the name and number of the Dexter Service Department Mgr which was six miles away!

Fast Forward: Got an appointment and took the rig to Dexter a couple days later, we had 1000% excellent and professional service. The Service Manager was a 40 year (yes, 40 year) employee of Dexter. They replaced the entire suspension system (except tires) in 1 day and away we went. I'm very happy that our GD Imagine 2250RK has Dexter Axles which come with a 5 year warranty (warrantied by Dexter). Even though the SM stated that because we were loaded right to the max and per our story had traveled through some INCREDIBLEY torn up roads in NJ, Dexter felt it was the right thing to do by replacing everything.
    The cost to us? ZERO. I'm a big fan of both GD and Dexter, for life! "That's my story, I'm sticking to it" btw: in the meantime I've added the Dexter suspension upgrade and GY Endurance tires. Good to Go for now. Travel safe!!
    Reading this post, it seems like the issue pertaining to the bent axle is related to the size of the beam, is that true? Chatting on this other post (https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Wheel-Bearings) I noticed that it seems like the beam size and the GVWR for some models changed around the 2019 model year; for example in Steve's one post that I copied below, he indicated this his GVWR was 6995#, but newer years of his model are 7495#. It's also interesting that the GVWR is below the axle rating.

Is the change in GVWR related to the increased size in beam? I haven't been able to check my 2019 2400bh, which was built in Oct 2018, for any irregularities in the axles, nor the axle beam size yet, but I will next week. I do wonder what size of beam my trailer has though since it seems like the change in beam size was 2018 / 2019 they changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    Found it. My info packet contained a weight information sheet. It has a table labelled "Weights For THIS Vehicle Are:"

it goes on to provide GVWR of 6995, GAWR of 7000, UVW of 5612, Hitch weight of 570, left side weight of 2556 and right side weight of 2486. I'm curious if you have something similar.

Steve
    Thanks!
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just verified that my 2019 2400BH (built on 4/2/18) has the 2 3/8” axle tubes. I think that might be my problem...

Per the weight sheet that came with the unit:
    GVWR: 7495
    GAWR: 3500
    UVW: 6016
    Hitch Weight: 534
    CCC: 1439

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 53flattie1 View Post
    I just verified that my 2019 2400BH (built on 4/2/18) has the 2 3/8” axle tubes. I think that might be my problem...

Per the weight sheet that came with the unit:
    GVWR: 7495
    GAWR: 3500
    UVW: 6016
    Hitch Weight: 534
    CCC: 1439

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well based on your beam size and GVWR, that answers my question if the two elements were related or not thanks! I will certainly need to take a close look at mine and check everything over. It's actually driving me crazy that I can't get out and check it till the weekend! I have been scrolling through photos on my phone to see if I have anything that I can tell what size of axle beam I have, and the only photo that is remotely close is below. It's a picture I took of the back of the brake with the beam, but I can't tell if the beam is 2-3/8" or 3". I'm guessing it's 2-3/8" though... Yes I know it's rusty, and I will be fixing that up this weekend too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190808_201840.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	27095
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Well based on your beam size and GVWR, that answers my question if the two elements were related or not thanks! I will certainly need to take a close look at mine and check everything over. It's actually driving me crazy that I can't get out and check it till the weekend! I have been scrolling through photos on my phone to see if I have anything that I can tell what size of axle beam I have, and the only photo that is remotely close is below. It's a picture I took of the back of the brake with the beam, but I can't tell if the beam is 2-3/8" or 3". I'm guessing it's 2-3/8" though... Yes I know it's rusty, and I will be fixing that up this weekend too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190808_201840.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	27095
    When you get a chance to check out your trailer, you might want to just snap a few photos of the stickers on the back side of the axle tubes. When I reached out to Dexter customer support with the axle serial numbers, they replied with all the info about my axle assemblies (type of brakes, manuals and exploded view diagrams, etc.). In my experience Dexter customer support was very helpful.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast