User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axle problem/GD customer service is great

Well, I've joined the bent axle club. We were on trip about 25 miles from our first night destination and I told my wife that I thought the trailer was becoming a bit wobbly. We stopped for gas and I found that I had a flat tire. When I changed the tire, I realized that it had worn through to the steel belts. Upon further inspection, I realized that the tires were canted in at the top, causing undue stress on the inside of the tire, also there was a similar wear pattern on the other tire on the axle. Once the tire was changed, we continued on to our destination. We made some more evaluations, had an axle company look at our rig and nursed it home, stopping periodically to check things out.

I immediately had called GD customer service and was instructed to send them pictures via email. By early afternoon, I received a response that they had sent my email and pictures on to Dexter axles for evaluation. By early the next day I was advised that Dexter would be replacing my axles. I just needed to tell them where to send the axles to for repairs.

Long story short - We may not have finished our intended trip, but we have a great story to tell. I now have new axles and Goodyear Endurance tires and am getting ready for our next trip. Grand Design was great throughout the entire process and hats of to Dexter as well. Hopefully this will be the worse thing that happens, but I"m convinced that GD will stand behind their product.

GD4life...
    Vince
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Axle issue on maiden voyage...

We are currently on a long planned trip with our 2018 Imagine 2800BH from PA to Colorado, Utah and Yellowstone. We've encountered what appears to be a bent axle and contacted GD to determine how to proceed without cancelling our trip and are hopeful about getting a quick repair on the road. Inside of edge of both tires on rear axle wearing fast and appear to have excessive negative camber. Initial contact feedback was that they would replace, but timing and location of repair still up in the air. We are 1500 miles from home, so unsure how smooth and quick this can occur. Not how we planned this...

(Has Dexter 3500# axles with 2-3/8" dia tubes.)
    George & Laurie
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    2015 2500HD LTZ Crew 6.0
    Equalizer 10K Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the talk about axles issue , took a look at mine on a 2019 2600RB but built in May of 2018 have the same Dexter 3500 2-3/8 tube called GD they stated they are under rated will send out new axles I hope that they come with new springs also ,I am looking at a local shop to do the work instead of the dealer we bought from they have bad service reviews, at least I am at home not on the road , good luck hope it all works out keep us poster.DEDennis

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axle problem/Dexter helpful; GD not so much

In our experience dealing with an axle problem on our 14-month old Imagine (3,500-lb. Dexter axles with 2-3/8"-dia. tubes), it was Dexter Axle rather than Grand Design that was helpful in resolving the issue.

On a recent trip we noticed some significant tread wear on the inside edge of the tire on the left rear axle. Upon returning home, we took our trailer to a truck/RV service shop to diagnose whether the cause was alignment, bent axle, or some other issue. The shop checked alignment relative to the hitch and found both axles to be aligned with the trailer frame. The problem that they found was that the spindles on both ends of the rear axle were bent causing toe-out of the rear wheels/tires.

We submitted a warranty claim form and some photos to Dexter and were quickly offered a "customer concession" of two replacement D35 axles with 3"-dia. tubes at no cost. Dexter is shipping the axles to the truck/RV shop. Dexter made a point to mention that the replacement axles would fit with the rest of our existing components, so we can keep our existing 5-lug wheels instead of having to buy new 6-lug wheels like the 2019 version of our trailer has. We're very satisfied with this resolution from Dexter, and look forward to getting the replacement axles installed.

Prior to contacting Dexter, we reached out to Grand Design. We were 2 months past our 1-year base warranty, but I've seen numerous posts on this forum that suggested contacting Grand Design even if recently past the warranty period. Perhaps Grand Design has been generous beyond the warranty period in the past, but the response we received from their customer service was somewhat off-putting. To paraphrase some of the points contained in their email responses:
    1. You're past the Grand Design warranty period, so contact Dexter.
    2. This sort of damage is sometimes caused by the customer "curbing" the trailer.
    3. You'd better have weight tickets handy when you contact Dexter to prove that you haven't damaged the axle by overloading the trailer.
    4. Information posted on forums is often misleading because people posting to the forum often withhold relevant details.
    Before contacting Grand Design, we fully expected that we would be dealing with Dexter rather than Grand Design. However, based on Grand Design's reputation for customer service I didn't expect their response to be so focused on trying to divert blame to the customer.

Dexter = helpful; Grand Design = not so much
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE - Had new axles and springs installed in CO by a trailer and axle repair shop - using Dexter 3500# 3" tube axles. Two new tires were required also, since the OEM's had bad wear due to the bent rear 2-3/8" tube axle. I decided to add MORryde equalizers and heavy duty shackle/wet bolt kit at the same time at my expense. Everything working great again for the past 500 miles since the repair. While at the repair shop I learned about another 2018 2800BH with the same issue that this trailer shop had replaced the rear axle on a few weeks before. It was back after 1 week due to a repeat bent rear axle - only 120 miles later. This 2800BH was purchased slightly used and the owner of the 2800BH paid to have it fixed (repair shop put the same 2-3/8" axle on it, since this has never been an official recall, it seemed like a logical repair. After discussing with the shop my findings on the 3" tube vs 2-3/8", I spoke with the 2800BH owner who was very happy to learn that this was not something he was doing wrong, but rather an axle application issue. He was of the belief that the 3500# 3" tube repair might still be marginal and was thinking about upgrading to a heavier axle and new wheels to eliminate future issues (since this would require 6 lug bolt pattern). I've submitted receipts to GD and now awaiting re-imbursement on my claim.

A couple of my thoughts:
    1.) The repair shop I used went out of their way to make this repair happen in a very short timeframe (and they were extremely busy. (IRON BEAR TRAILER - Denver, CO -- hats off to them for helping me out big time)
    2.) GD pretty much left it to me to find someone to repair it. (both good and bad, since I had to do the searching and calling to find someplace to go).
    3.) Since this is a known issue and certainly falls under safety - this really should be an official recall. Having this issue fixed at home would have been much simpler than an emergency fix on a vacation.
    4.) If GD comes through on the re-imbursement, I will say that I am overall satisfied with the end result, but not so much with the path to get to this point.
    George & Laurie
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    2015 2500HD LTZ Crew 6.0
    Equalizer 10K Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My update on the axles on my 2600RB 2019 just got off the phone with GD service the new 3500 with 3 in tubes are to be shipped to my local rv shop tried to get the 2200 lbs springs they said that would be on me where are you guys buying new springs from usa made? Will also do a MORryde and HD shackle kit and Wet bolts on me . Thanks in advance for any info. DEDennis

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to figure out this spring thing GD shipped me out new axles but with only 1750lb springs , called GD they said that upgrade would be on me , that is fine then he stated the new axles would take 2200 lb spring when I called Dexter they said only a 2000 lb spring I am having a hard time finding either GD states eye to eye center 25 1/4 inch unloaded to 26 loaded can not find this on Etrailer does someone have another source DEDennis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just returned from the Michigan GD Rally via Pensacola, Florida to Round Rock, Texas. Our new setup is very nice. Morryde CRE3000 et al, GY Endurance, 2250# springs, and reinforced spring hangers. Survived the Michigan road test. Talk about potholes and cracks!
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale, suggest you call these guys with the new axle specs. http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/page/1517173

Also, look at https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...).pdf?sfvrsn=4 Page 22 shows the D 30 and D35 are rated 2300-4000lbs capacity.
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 07-03-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also had a bent axle this spring on our 2500RL about an hour from home. I noticed it when we stopped for lunch. It was pretty windy that day so I had attributed the "squirrellyness" in the trailer to that until I spotted the curbside rear tire was noticeably pointed out on the leading edge. We called GD customer service who emailed a list us a list of Dexter service centers. Not very helpful; 2 of the 3 on the list in our area were out of business and the 3rd was parts only. However, they were helpful and pointed us to a suspension repair shop. We drove there and left the coach in their fenced-in lot. The repair shop owner took over and worked with GD customer service and Dexter. They shipped 2 new 3500# 3" tube axles with springs and brakes. I called GD again and they agreed to reimburse me for 2 new tires for the bent axle since they were quite worn on the inside edge. We picked up the coach when the axles were installed and drove to a Discount Tire for 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires. Even though we were left to find a shop for the repair, GD customer service and Dexter were very good at taking responsibility and getting 2 new axles to the repair shop. When we picked up the coach the shop owner said he got paid for his work very quickly from GD. We got a check in about a week after submitting a receipt for 2 of the tires. I had already installed Mor ryde cre3000 equalizers, shackles and wet bolts.
    Mike and Sally
    2019 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ram 1500
    Camco Eazlift R3 Recurve hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast