User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cate&Rob - excellent information to share Rob, regarding possible contamination among different connection points. It would seem that RV sites with FHUs should not allow dual hose hookup scenarios to be done. The reality is that many do not fully understand the possible negative repercussions and/or the risk is of contamination and any health issues have been and are minimal.

Since we rarely use FHU sites, I never thought about this issue. We have occasionally used the non-potable water/dump station area to flush the black tank and never thought about possible contamination when connecting our fresh water hose to the black tank flush when then at a FHU site. Since we also do not drink the water from the RV tank or when using a direct hookup we are not concerned. However, what you shared is good learning information for the future.

Thank you !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I haven't really been too concerned about this contaminated water issue..
    We don't drink the water from our rig because it usually doesn't taste very good.
    We just use bottled water to drink and cook / make coffee..
    We DO brush our teeth with the water from the bathroom sink..
    Should we be more concerned ??

Teddy

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So would this design with additional backflow protector not be effective at preventing contamination on the fresh water side?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Layout.jpg  
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    This is one of the most common misunderstandings in any campground. I can’t count the number of campers I have seen with two hoses. One going to the potable water connection and the other going to the black flush. T’d together at the campground spigot as if distance from the camper were some sort of protection.

Not disconnecting the black tank flush prevents the vacuum break from doing its job since this holds a column of water from the hose to the black tank. Then, these folks turn off the campground spigot. Now, their black tank is connected to their potable water intake.

There should only be one hose from the spigot to the camper. Connect it to either the potable connection or the (drained) black tank flush, but it can never be connected to both. The important part of this is that the black tank vacuum break must be allowed to drain (by removing the hose connection) for it to do its job and completely disconnect the black tank from anything else.

Rob
    I have a hose connected to my black tank refill when we are stationary as it is so difficult to attach it properly so it does not leak. After I dump, and rinse the black tank, I disconnect the hose from the public water, BUT keep it connected - but that's a no no? As the "black tank vacuum break must be allowed to drain...", and it must drain from the Nautilus connection? I tell you, this forum is great for helpful info!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At home, I use two hoses. It makes it quicker for me when time to dump / flush, plus that flush hose comes from the well before it hits the filters, so less water thru the house filters.
    I'm getting ready to go to quick connects for anything that goes with the camper.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123