User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This discussion takes place fairly frequently over on the Escapees forums and there's quite a bit of good information over there. Bottom line: no two people's situations are the same. Age, insurability, domicile state, pre-existing conditions, current/desired providers, and other factors vary drastically.

Our insurance situation is different from many (retired military with Medicare/Tricare For Life for me and Tricare Select for Laura until she turns 65... no, I didn't rob the cradle). My view of things is also a bit different being a retired health care professional. We had long-term relationships with providers in the Augusta, GA, area before hitting the road and all of them agreed to continue to cover us for medications and to do what they could remotely as long as we make it back periodically for regular check-ups. This is despite the fact that our domicile has been in Texas since hitting the road.

Late winter/early spring of 2018, we both got pneumonia while we were in New Mexico. Laura had to be hospitalized for five days and was really sick. Of course, the hospitalists at the local hospital cared for her while an inpatient and follow-up was at the hospital's outpatient clinic. Tricare paid everything except the TC Select copays. I had no out-of-pocket costs for the urgent care center since TFL picks up as the secondary payer for Medicare. We'll be back in the Augusta area in February for medical and dental visits to keep things going. Eventually, though, we'll have to find new providers when our names come to the top of the lists at Escapees co-op parks in CA and WA and we start spending most of our time out west. We'll hate to give up providers we know and love!

We get our medications through Express Scripts/Tricare and 90-day supplies are mailed to our Escapees mail service address and we have the forwarded to wherever we are. When we land someplace for a while - as is the case at the moment - I enter a temporary service address on the Tricare web site and meds are sent directly to where we are staying.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steven.......My advice is start looking at Medicare now and how it will affect you. If you choose to collect Social Security at 65 or wait and how the premiums are based. YES there are health care premiums with Medicare. Unless you choose to pay private insurance and can show proof you will need to enroll. Supplemental insurance is another concern should you choose to pursue it. I'm fortunate in that I have a good choice available to me which not only supplements Medicare but provides prescription, dental and eye care.
    As for your wife I would suggest you have her inquire as to remaining on her existing plan (you may also be covered as the secondary). If she has a severance or retirement package that includes health care or can it be negotiated.
    As far as doctor visits. I'm not full time, actually about 1/2 time as I keep my home as my base. I schedule all my appointments within a three week period twice a year. That way I can plan my wanderings and be home to attend to my needs. Also I make sure all my physicians are available to answer questions in case I need to contact them, either by phone or in the case of my GP patient portal. They being familiar with my case can better assess whether something is an immediate concern or can wait. It's been rare but it does happen. So far that has worked out well. If you are on the road request a current health history to keep with you in case you come across a need to see a local doctor or hospital. My GP as a matter of course gives an updated printout of my current status each time I visit, this lists all conditions and medications.
    To add to Rob's post above regarding meds. All generics I get at 90 day supply through the prescription provider I have. I use the local Walgreens for occasional and some specific medicines I take. More than once I had a need to refill while on the road and a call to my local store to have it filled at a location closer to me is all it took. They will do 90 day supplies as well. I'm sure other chains would do the same.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-25-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with FMCA (family motor coach association). I think that they have started offering a Medicare supplemental plan. Membership is required but it seems like it offers coverage in all 50 states.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Steven.......My advice is start looking at Medicare now and how it will affect you. If you choose to collect Social Security at 65 or wait and how the premiums are based. YES there are health care premiums with Medicare. Unless you choose to pay private insurance and can show proof you will need to enroll. Supplemental insurance is another concern should you choose to pursue it. I'm fortunate in that I have a good choice available to me which not only supplements Medicare but provides prescription, dental and eye care.
    As for your wife I would suggest you have her inquire as to remaining on her existing plan (you may also be covered as the secondary). If she has a severance or retirement package that includes health care or can it be negotiated.
    As far as doctor visits. I'm not full time, actually about 1/2 time as I keep my home as my base. I schedule all my appointments within a three week period twice a year. That way I can plan my wanderings and be home to attend to my needs. Also I make sure all my physicians are available to answer questions in case I need to contact them, either by phone or in the case of my GP patient portal. They being familiar with my case can better assess whether something is an immediate concern or can wait. It's been rare but it does happen. So far that has worked out well. If you are on the road request a current health history to keep with you in case you come across a need to see a local doctor or hospital. My GP as a matter of course gives an updated printout of my current status each time I visit, this lists all conditions and medications.
    To add to Rob's post above regarding meds. All generics I get at 90 day supply through the prescription provider I have. I use the local Walgreens for occasional and some specific medicines I take. More than once I had a need to refill while on the road and a call to my local store to have it filled at a location closer to me is all it took. They will do 90 day supplies as well. I'm sure other chains would do the same.
    We have to really dig into how Medicare works and all the parts to it. Didn't know there were premiums to medicare or is that associated with supplements to Medicare? We are still gathering and researching. We are members of the Escapee's group and looking at their offerings. Nope her hospital does not provide retirement plans with medical, just matched contributions to 401s. Does any non government job offer retirement plans with medical now days, a hand full maybe. Anyway after her retirement we could sign on to their cobra plan but its ridiculous expensive and not even considering it.
    We'll get there. We just need to get the best plan that is the most cost effective that fits our needs.

Since we plan to winter down here in Texas, we'll stop by the Austin area for between 30-60 days and plan all of our check ups and GP visits and once a year physicals then with the Doctors we have now. They already have patient portals so that is a good thing. We can use Walgreen, CVS or whatever country wide pharmacies we need to base on plans and already use 90 day supplies. Its just sifting through all the plans and crap that gets me down.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We have to really dig into how Medicare works and all the parts to it. Didn't know there were premiums to medicare or is that associated with supplements to Medicare? We are still gathering and researching. We are members of the Escapee's group and looking at their offerings. Nope her hospital does not provide retirement plans with medical, just matched contributions to 401s. Does any non government job offer retirement plans with medical now days, a hand full maybe. Anyway after her retirement we could sign on to their cobra plan but its ridiculous expensive and not even considering it.
    We'll get there. We just need to get the best plan that is the most cost effective that fits our needs.

Since we plan to winter down here in Texas, we'll stop by the Austin area for between 30-60 days and plan all of our check ups and GP visits and once a year physicals then with the Doctors we have now. They already have patient portals so that is a good thing. We can use Walgreen, CVS or whatever country wide pharmacies we need to base on plans and already use 90 day supplies. Its just sifting through all the plans and crap that gets me down.
    Steve,

There are no premiums for Medicare Part A (inpatient). The premiums are for Part B (outpatient) and any Part D (drug) or supplemental plans you elect to carry. My current Medicare Part B premiums are $144.60/month. (Tricare for Life picks up all my meds and any co-pays for Medicare. When Laura turns 65, her regular Tricare will convert to Medicare/TFL, as well... we are very blessed).

The civilian hospital from which I retired the second time has health, dental and vision offerings for retirees as part of their retirement plan(s). Since I'm retired military, I did not need them - but they are there.

Have you looked into the (often faith-based) health care co-ops or cost-sharing programs? If neither of you have significant health issues or underlying diseases at this point, one of these programs might fill the gap for you for routine stuff until you're Medicare eligible.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read some of the newspaper articles this local lady Toni King https://tonisays.com/ writes about medicare.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Steve,

There are no premiums for Medicare Part A (inpatient). The premiums are for Part B (outpatient) and any Part D (drug) or supplemental plans you elect to carry. My current Medicare Part B premiums are $144.60/month. (Tricare for Life picks up all my meds and any co-pays for Medicare. When Laura turns 65, her regular Tricare will convert to Medicare/TFL, as well... we are very blessed).

The civilian hospital from which I retired the second time has health, dental and vision offerings for retirees as part of their retirement plan(s). Since I'm retired military, I did not need them - but they are there.

Have you looked into the (often faith-based) health care co-ops or cost-sharing programs? If neither of you have significant health issues or underlying diseases at this point, one of these programs might fill the gap for you for routine stuff until you're Medicare eligible.

Rob
    Hey Rob thanks. I don't know all the plans the wife has looked at. We have to set down again and go through what she has come up with. I have been feeding her information I have learned from this forum and we both have looked through the Escapees information.
    You are very lucky with the coverage you have. I worked for a well known major computer company for 24.9 years before getting laid off and no benefits. That company done away with all retirement benefits including health and pensions.

We wont need to make a decision until right before Oct this year. That is when the wife retires from a hospital in Austin. At that time I will be 9 months away from age 65. The wife will be 62. I am already receiving SS at a very nice rate. The wife will file for SS at 62 probably in November after her birthday in Oct. Yes we know we are going out early and what that means. We have put away a pretty good chunk of change and we want to enjoy our next 10-15 years closer to our kids and grandkids up north.
    My parents both passed away in their mid to late 70s, diabetes and cancer. My Father worked right up to age 65, from age 70, he spent his last few years in a nursing home drooling in his oatmeal. My Mother got cancer at 73, and 6 months later she was gone, burned up inside from chemo treatments. My wife's parents are in their early 80s and for several years now have just set in their house looking at each other, waiting to see who's going to go first.

That is not the way we want to finish out our lives so we plan for the best, enjoy what we have left, and take what we can get.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Hey Rob thanks. I don't know all the plans the wife has looked at. We have to set down again and go through what she has come up with. I have been feeding her information I have learned from this forum and we both have looked through the Escapees information.
    You are very lucky with the coverage you have. I worked for a well known major computer company for 24.9 years before getting laid off and no benefits. That company done away with all retirement benefits including health and pensions.

We wont need to make a decision until right before Oct this year. That is when the wife retires from a hospital in Austin. At that time I will be 9 months away from age 65. The wife will be 62. I am already receiving SS at a very nice rate. The wife will file for SS at 62 probably in November after her birthday in Oct. Yes we know we are going out early and what that means. We have put away a pretty good chunk of change and we want to enjoy our next 10-15 years closer to our kids and grandkids up north.
    My parents both passed away in their mid to late 70s, diabetes and cancer. My Father worked right up to age 65, from age 70, he spent his last few years in a nursing home drooling in his oatmeal. My Mother got cancer at 73, and 6 months later she was gone, burned up inside from chemo treatments. My wife's parents are in their early 80s and for several years now have just set in their house looking at each other, waiting to see who's going to go first.

That is not the way we want to finish out our lives so we plan for the best, enjoy what we have left, and take what we can get.
    Steven
    I'm not sure you are aware but if you are on Social Security now You will be enrolled automatically in Medicare at your 2 year anniversary regardless of age. Ask me how I know I was surprised when I received the notice last fall as I just turned 64.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Steven
    I'm not sure you are aware but if you are on Social Security now You will be enrolled automatically in Medicare at your 2 year anniversary regardless of age. Ask me how I know I was surprised when I received the notice last fall as I just turned 64.
    Per Medicare: "... You have received Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) checks for at least 24 months"

Are you not getting SSDI (instead of regular Social Security retirement benefits)?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Per Medicare: "... You have received Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) checks for at least 24 months"

Are you not getting SSDI (instead of regular Social Security retirement benefits)?

Rob
    I am and because of this statement " I am already receiving SS at a very nice rate" I suspected Steven was too. But then again I may have drawn the wrong conclusion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast