User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Per Medicare: "... You have received Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) checks for at least 24 months"

Are you not getting SSDI (instead of regular Social Security retirement benefits)?

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Steven
    I'm not sure you are aware but if you are on Social Security now You will be enrolled automatically in Medicare at your 2 year anniversary regardless of age. Ask me how I know I was surprised when I received the notice last fall as I just turned 64.
    I am and because of this statement " I am already receiving SS at a very nice rate" I suspected Steven was too. But then again I may have drawn the wrong conclusion.
    Thanks guys for trying to lead me through the woods on this. I am not receiving SSDI, just regular SS. Although in my mind I maybe somewhat disabled after reading through all the information on Medicare last night. I get the Parts A,B,C, D and what they are. What gets me a little confused is the Medicare Supplemental versus a private supplemental policy. In other words a policy to pay what Medicare doesn't pay. I just need to do more research, write down a list of questions and talk to a Medicare representative direct before I sign up, which I believe, if I read it right, is within 90 days before I reach 65 (July 2021). Or if I don't sign up before I reach 65, I have to wait until the next open enrollment, which I think would be In January 2022. Without some kind of penalty because I didn't sign up before I turned 65.

But then I would need a private medical policy to cover the time between when I'm 64 (July 2020) and (July 2021) when I turn 65. I don't know if a private policy can be canceled or stopped at any time once in enrolled. If not will there be some overlapping of policies. Probably not a bad thing but then there is the affect of primary and secondary policies.

This really isn't the forum to get in depth on Medicare, does and does not, do's and do not, but many people face these life decisions when deciding to retire early and go fulltime RVing and traveling months on end through many different states. Pre-Medicare PPO versus HMO policies and how much time you might be living out of your home state location. The wife and I just need to set down get it all sorted out, whats best for us, the risks to take and the cost potential of our decisions.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-29-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at what AARP offers?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Have you looked at what AARP offers?
    That is kind of a difficult thing. I can't get just anonymous quotes or estimates without giving them my phone number and I will never again give any one of these estimators my number. Once you do they will harasses the crap out of you, calling all the time trying to get you sold so they can make their quota and pay bonuses for signing people up. If you call them they got your number and still harasses you. Th last time I looked as estimates and put in my phone number it took me months to get these jacklegs to stop calling me multiple times a day!

Now I have a fake e-mail address and a fake phone number and try again.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    That is kind of a difficult thing. I can't get just anonymous quotes or estimates without giving them my phone number and I will never again give any one of these estimators my number. Once you do they will harasses the crap out of you, calling all the time trying to get you sold so they can make their quota and pay bonuses for signing people up. If you call them they got your number and still harasses you. Th last time I looked as estimates and put in my phone number it took me months to get these jacklegs to stop calling me multiple times a day!

Now I have a fake e-mail address and a fake phone number and try again.
    Strange I am a member (good perks like cell phone discount). When I went online I was pretty much able to determine pricing and coverage and who they got discounts with. They were close to my Anthem medicare advantage plan that I have through my retirement plan. I had called to ask questions and received no follow up calls. However in talking with them I asked them not to call me.

Good luck
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this is an old thread, but it applies to us. I'm 67, wife turns 65 in August. The plan is for me to retire in early September, and hopefully start full timing in October. We're currently Arizona residents, but are planning to change domicile, possibly to Florida (I still hold a valid Florida DL).

Anyway, Medicare is definitely on the horizon, and I'm unsure whether to get supplemental plans in AZ, or wait until we change domicile.

Of additional huge concern is pharmacies. We currently use Safeway/Albertsons, so we're ok in most western states. We know Walmart is available almost everywhere. The issue is I'm prescribed a controlled substance to help manage nerve pain as a result of a cancer surgery in 2014. My small (minimum) dosage works fine, and I should have no problem getting what I need monthly from Safeway every 30 days. Yeah, I can get 30 days from them whereas Walmart won't do more than 7 days.

Hopefully ya'll can see the dilemma of making sure we're near a Safeway as that 30 days comes close. It will definitely impact our travel.

We're open to any and all ideas on how to manage Medicare and potential pharmacy problems.

TIA!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but it applies to us. I'm 67, wife turns 65 in August. The plan is for me to retire in early September, and hopefully start full timing in October. We're currently Arizona residents, but are planning to change domicile, possibly to Florida (I still hold a valid Florida DL).

Anyway, Medicare is definitely on the horizon, and I'm unsure whether to get supplemental plans in AZ, or wait until we change domicile.

Of additional huge concern is pharmacies. We currently use Safeway/Albertsons, so we're ok in most western states. We know Walmart is available almost everywhere. The issue is I'm prescribed a controlled substance to help manage nerve pain as a result of a cancer surgery in 2014. My small (minimum) dosage works fine, and I should have no problem getting what I need monthly from Safeway every 30 days. Yeah, I can get 30 days from them whereas Walmart won't do more than 7 days.

Hopefully ya'll can see the dilemma of making sure we're near a Safeway as that 30 days comes close. It will definitely impact our travel.

We're open to any and all ideas on how to manage Medicare and potential pharmacy problems.

TIA!
    Albertson's comprises more than you think. Acme and Safeway (I never realized they were part of the group which explains why some come and some go) are popular here in the northeast.
    https://www.albertsonscompanies.com/about-us.html
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIA!
    Anthem (BCBS) has several medicare advantage plans that includes prescriptions. Its good out of state (CO) as long as the place takes Medicare. As I have a pension, they use SilverScript for prescriptions. You can do mail order through them. Don.t know about your controlled substance, but I know it varies by state. When I had shoulder surgery I got a 21 day supply through Right-Aid - now Walgreens. I use Walmart as they actually have better service the than Walgreens. Never tried Albertsons (no Safeway here, but as Safeway bought Albertsons it might be the same.

I do know one thing it was confusing as he** figuring all this out and my local social security office was less than helpful.. Do you have an senior centers or public help places around that might advise you?

Good luck and stay safe.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Albertson's comprises more than you think. Acme and Safeway (I never realized they were part of the group which explains why some come and some go) are popular here in the northeast.
    https://www.albertsonscompanies.com/about-us.html
    That's good to know. We need to do more research for sure, and possibly talk to corporate. The web site didn't show anything up there... but I might not have looked very hard. I wish their merger with Rite Aid had been successful. That would have solved a lot of problems.

We're looking forward to keeping our doc while we travel. She'll do teleconference visits with us, and will send our prescriptions wherever we need them. She's all for the FT RV gig. It's the pharmacy question that's unnerving. Getting old bites!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Anthem (BCBS) has several medicare advantage plans that includes prescriptions. Its good out of state (CO) as long as the place takes Medicare. As I have a pension, they use SilverScript for prescriptions. You can do mail order through them. Don.t know about your controlled substance, but I know it varies by state. When I had shoulder surgery I got a 21 day supply through Right-Aid - now Walgreens. I use Walmart as they actually have better service the than Walgreens. Never tried Albertsons (no Safeway here, but as Safeway bought Albertsons it might be the same.

I do know one thing it was confusing as he** figuring all this out and my local social security office was less than helpful.. Do you have an senior centers or public help places around that might advise you?

Good luck and stay safe.
    Thanks for the quick reply! I think we'll eventually get the Medicare bit sorted out. As others have stated in the thread, you need to be careful who you give your phone number to, or they'll chase you at all hours. Lesson learned.

I've not yet tried local senior centers. That's a great idea! The median age in Prescott is around 56. Half the town is Olde Farts. Someone is bound to know.

Our current doc takes Medicare, and will do teleconference visits. I only need to see her face to face on a quarterly basis. I see her tomorrow, and am hoping I can talk her into once per trimester. I love Arizona, but don't want to have to come back here every 90 days. That'll mean a lot of miles on the rig just to see the doc. Every 120 days would be much better.

The prescription is another matter entirely. Walmart's stance makes them a non-starter. However, my wife is paying our local Walmart pharmacy a visit tomorrow to see if there are any exceptions to the 7 day limit rule. Everyone went so overboard on the opiod crisis that they put those who really need them in a terrible bind. A new prescription every 7 days means 4 copays/month instead of 1. It's also a PITA for the doc.

For those wondering, I take a single 5mg oxycodone every 3-4 hours. It's the smallest dosage available. The pain isn't gone... it just helps me not notice it. I've tried many alternatives over the last 5 years, but nothing else worked. I had the lower 2 lobes of my right lung removed due to cancer, and the intercostal nerve bundle was severed. 5 years cancer free now, and just getting ready to start the FT RV grand adventure.

TMI? Possibly. I'm just trying to get ahead of any potential "all opioids are bad" comments.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply! I think we'll eventually get the Medicare bit sorted out. As others have stated in the thread, you need to be careful who you give your phone number to, or they'll chase you at all hours. Lesson learned.

I've not yet tried local senior centers. That's a great idea!

TMI? Possibly. I'm just trying to get ahead of any potential "all opioids are bad" comments.
    Chuck, its been a while since I started this thread, hope you got it sorted out with your Doc and Pharmacy. Hope you have had good luck.

I must confess we haven't got it sorted out yet. Such a quagmire of crap to sift through. I went out to the Escapee's web site to read up there. did talk to a couple agents but they were less than helpful, Oh you need a PPO, No Kidding! What they do not communicate clearly is what is covered, was is not. They are vague on a lot of details like what is the out of pocket max, Co-pays and such. Is it an 80/20, 70/30, major medical or what kind of plan is it. We got some quote information anywhere between 100-1000 per month for each of us! Well that is not helpful. Now they wont shut up and stop calling. The faith based plans are not for us, I will not subscribe or sign a letter agreeing to believe in a particular religious sects teachings.

they all sound like used car salesman to me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast