User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Decision Looking for Texas Health Care Data going Full Time

Was looking into what it would cost for Texas based health insurance (HMO/PPO) and or supplements on a Texas.gov web site once we go full time and a few months before one of us turns 65. Just to get an idea of what it might cost, plan names, limitations and coverage. You cant get any information unless you enter a phone number and e-mail address, that should have been a red warning flag! Well I entered information into the web site and now I have all these cockroaches coming at me from all over the country trying to sell me their health policy crap! What does someone from Ohio, Florida and other states know about Texas health care policies?
    Its like I opened all the flood gates of H311! I should have known better, put in bogus email and phone number information, but had a lapse in brain function. These cockroaches are calling me constantly 3, 4, 5 times, emailing me, texting me bothering me constantly trying to sell me. They only want to give you a monthly cost number hard sell but not hardly any information about what is or is not covered. God I hate these kind of people! Now I'm spending time blocking all these **********????? from my phone and e-mail. Its like I have a virus eating at my phone and e-mail and I'm like an octopus trying to stop it!

One thing I did get out of it was Texas is not the most hospitable state for health insurance before age 65.

Tried to go to like the Escapees site to get info from them, but its frustrating to say the least on their site. Watched one of their health care plan videos and was more confused after listening to them hum, pause and bad video sound, just ended up stopping the video. They never did in the portion I tried to listen to really explain what the individual plans entail, cover or cost.

This is not going to be an easy, anonymous non-obtrusive thing to come up with decision making data in the going full time process.

Sorry for rant, gosh I made a bad mistake!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hear ya. I go on Medicare in four months. I made the mistake of going on line to look for supplement plans. Now I'm getting dozens of phone calls and emails per day.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Was looking into what it would cost for Texas based health insurance (HMO/PPO) and or supplements on a Texas.gov web site once we go full time and a few months before one of us turns 65. Just to get an idea of what it might cost, plan names, limitations and coverage. You cant get any information unless you enter a phone number and e-mail address, that should have been a red warning flag! Well I entered information into the web site and now I have all these cockroaches coming at me from all over the country trying to sell me their health policy crap! What does someone from Ohio, Florida and other states know about Texas health care policies?
    Its like I opened all the flood gates of H311! I should have known better, put in bogus email and phone number information, but had a lapse in brain function. These cockroaches are calling me constantly 3, 4, 5 times, emailing me, texting me bothering me constantly trying to sell me. They only want to give you a monthly cost number hard sell but not hardly any information about what is or is not covered. God I hate these kind of people! Now I'm spending time blocking all these **********????? from my phone and e-mail. Its like I have a virus eating at my phone and e-mail and I'm like an octopus trying to stop it!

One thing I did get out of it was Texas is not the most hospitable state for health insurance before age 65.

Tried to go to like the Escapees site to get info from them, but its frustrating to say the least on their site. Watched one of their health care plan videos and was more confused after listening to them hum, pause and bad video sound, just ended up stopping the video. They never did in the portion I tried to listen to really explain what the individual plans entail, cover or cost.

This is not going to be an easy, anonymous non-obtrusive thing to come up with decision making data in the going full time process.

Sorry for rant, gosh I made a bad mistake!
    Been there....done that. Under 65 healthcare in TX is pretty darn expensive. I turn 65 in July and we’ve been at this as full-timers for 5 years. My first 18 months we had COBRA, then joined a healthcare sharing ministry. At the time Obamacare was going to be $1800 a month. It is effectively a catastrophic plan, but is one third the cost of Obamacare and does cover annual physicals, mammograms, etc. we are using GoodRX for prescriptions which was less costly that’s getting them thru the ministry plan.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I hear ya. I go on Medicare in four months. I made the mistake of going on line to look for supplement plans. Now I'm getting dozens of phone calls and emails per day.

Jim
    Came up with a way to block unwanted calls.

On an iPhone, go to "Settings", then "Do Not Disturb". Go down to "Phone, Allow Call From" and change it to "All Contacts". If the call is from someone that is in your Contacts List (friendly incoming), the call will ring through. If not (foe), it will not. They can still leave a voicemail (if it's important), and you have the option to call them back.

Not familiar with Android, but there is probably something similar.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain. I pretty actively block robo call numbers. The good news is I no longer spend much time in the area code that I established my phone number in, so when I get a call from my old area code that is not in my contact list I pretty much know it's a sales pitch, red button - block call. It doesn't end it, but it helps some. Oh yeah, Android.

Health care for full timers is and issue. Our health industry has an at home philosophy, you get a primary care doctor you see them year after year for your needs. When you start traveling you loose that relationship and end up with the latest doc in the box mentality. I was aghast when I watched a PA read through a flow chart and ask me questions then pronounce the diagnosis based on the flow chart information. I hate stupid. I really really hate a supposed professional not thinking. All I have to say is that I feel very fortunate that I am healthy because I have no confidence in 90% of our health care industry today. Rant ended.

On the flip side there are a few doctors out there that are willing to treat you remotely once you explain your situation. Once they see you don't have any major underlying illness they are willing to prescribe routine prescriptions. It takes a bit to build that trust, the key thing is to acknowledge that it is not the "best" way and to acknowledge that you are taking a risk of misdiagnosing yourself and expressing the methods you have in place to take in the event things get to be other than normally ill.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're obviously in between--needing regular healthcare for a relatively short time before going onto Medicare as a full time RVer.

Let me warn you that many of those selling insurance online are trying to sign people up for HMO type programs and Medicare Advantage plans after age 65. These type programs do not work well for RVers because doctors are being paid on a "per head" basis month by month. If you're traveling, you will not be able to see your "home" doctor. State specific Blue Cross Blue Shield also has these type of programs, and you must live within their coverage area.

RVers do best signing up for a nationwide insurance plan like United or Anthem--that companies with employees all over the U.S. use. My Medicare Supplement is purchased through my ex-employer, and we don't get hit for "out of network" if we use an out of town or out of state doctor.

Much advertising is being pushed about Medicare Advantage that works like an HMO. There are many hospitals (that accept regular Medicare) that refuse to accept the pittance monthly amount they're paid for Advantage. I know one hospital in particular that has purchased hundreds of doctors' practices throughout a 7 state region, and they refuse to accept Advantage patients. Those patients with Advantage have been forced to go to change physicians for care and go to other hospital chains--often 50-75 miles from their homes--for treatment. Advantage looks good on paper, but in reality it doesn't work well for those traveling around.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Something is strange here. All advantage plans are not the same.Its based on a larger company . I have one through Anthem BCBS. Its primary while Medicare is secondary. Folks have been flawless so far. and it has made a hug reduction in my medical costs. Its accepted anywhere that takes Medicare.

While I have not looked myself I got information from AARP the other day that looked OK, but it was for 65+. I think they use Hartford as the base medical insurance.

Good luck in your search.

One other place to check is some auto plans like State Farm are offering health plans. Might be worth a look too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i apologize for posting a rant instead of calmly discussing the issue. Anymore I have a short fuse for the kind of stuff I've gotten subjected to over the last few days.

Anyway currently our health care is through the hosp my wife works at here in Austin TX and is an HMO type of thing. Several years ago while visiting the kids up in Ohio I got sick and ended up in a hospital up there. The wife called the insurance company and told them what was going on. The end result was that most my care was paid for by the insurance because it was an emergency situation. But that is not always the case. The doctors from Ohio were great and transferred information to my doctors in Tx.

Our plans are that we will return to Texas through the winter months and will be close to the Livingston Tx area and will have to relocate our primary care physician and health care to the Livingston area instead of where it is now around Austin. This is still in the planning phase also.
    Nether one of us (yet) have health issues and don't need costly prescriptions. The wife wants to retire right after she turns 62 because she is just mentally burned out. If she doesn't retire as planned and works longer just to keep our status quo, I am afraid it will start to affect her health. As we've planned I'll be 7 months shy of 65 when she retires so you can see the issue we have to plan for.

I have a budget spreadsheet, income Vs expenditures, I created. I keep changing the numbers based on best estimates and its calculated out to when I turn 65. Right now the best estimate I have plugged in for what it might cost per month for a health care plan is $300 for each of us. That is kind of a 80/20 plan based on information I got from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas HMO type of thing.

Its all so difficult to sift through the quagmire of crap, unethical business people, lying sales people, scammers now posing as healthcare associates just to get your information and so forth. Since I have gotten bombarded in the last few days I've gone into hiding. I'll find a better way of estimating the costs after this weekend. Now its time to get away for a little fun, fishing, relaxing and still getting to know our new RV.

Have a safe weekend, and a big THANK YOU to all service men and women.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW I have been looking into this as well, using the GOV healthcare site I put our info in and the best place for insurance out of the big 3 was South Dakota for us. We plan on hitting the road in July, we will be 53 and most likely pay cobra until the end of the year and do one of those plans after.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One option to look at might be a Health Sharing plan if you don't regularly have a lot of doctors visits. One I have is Christian Healthcare Ministries. It's $150/mo for the top plan. GoodRX is free prescription coverage for generic or common scripts. With the Health Sharing you will be doing a self-pay cash discount, and then submitting the bills to pay for reimbursement. Works great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast