User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Locktite on caliper bolts?

For all you engineers who have put on disk brakes...

A while ago, I had a caliper bolt fall out from my disk brake, and the other one on that wheel was loose. Not good news. I got a new bolt (and a spare), and went on my way. Now, I have another loose bolt.

Reading elsewhere I've seen a suggestion to put blue locktite on the bolts. But I'm hesitant. If I put locktite on the threads and then put the bolt through the caliper, some of the locktite will transfer to the caliper and tend to freeze it on the bolt. I think that this would result on uneven brake pad wear. Am I on the right track, or am I overthinking this?

BTW, I don't have a torque wrench that will fit in there, but I'm making these as tight as I can with my box wrenches.

All opinions are welcome... facts too!
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you've had a bolt work out of the caliper in the past, by all means use Loctite on the bolts. But instead of using blue Loctite liquid, try using the blue Loctite tape. It will avoid migration of the thread locker. Apply four wraps for 3/8" bolts, six wraps for 1/2" bolts and so on.

Thread locker tape

p.s. Disclosure - I am an engineer, but electrical....

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I sure did. BTW, after I tightened the bolts I physically push the caliper in and out a few times. Any Loctite that may have been there was "broken". I've checked them many times since and there was no restriction.

As a side note: you may remember I was doing some work on them last year and I put red Loctite on by mistake and it was pointed out to me by a fellow member here (who happens to no longer be here), anyway I went out the next day and removed, cleaned and reinstalled the bolts with blue.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Jim and Paul.

Never knew that there was blue locktite tape! I'm still a bit nervous about liquid on the bolt shaft, Paul, so I think my first attempt will be to find the tape. If not, I'll try to make sure that I shake them enough!

Appreciate the advice!
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Al,
    You could put the Loctite on the female threads before assembling the caliper to the bracket.
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, but I'm hoping to not have to dismount the wheels. All of life's little choices...
    Al and Kathe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Al,

I have never done any more than a visual inspection of the caliper bolts since I installed my disc brakes, two years ago. It is time to pull the hubs to inspect and re-pack the bearings. Based on your experience, I will pay special attention to bolt torque at both disassembly and re-assembly. Thanks for the heads up .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If memory serves me the caliper slides on a steel sleeve the bolt goes thru , not the actual bolt itself. In that case you would have to be pretty sloppy to get enough on it to hamper caliper movement. Keep in mind I’m calling on old brain cells to remember the caliper used. Old GM midsize car caliper? If someone can post a pic it can be confirmed.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie, Thanks very much! I'll check that out in the morning by actually pulling a bolt. I'll post the results here.
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wisdom of the forum comes through again. Thanks, Charlie. The bolt indeed goes through a steel tube which is what the caliper rides on. The bolt has no shoulder, so it has to have something other than the caliper to tighten against. Visual inspection confirmed it. The steel tube appears to be in a rubber tube which is what actually contacts the caliper housing.

On the 310, the upper bolt can't be removed because the leaf spring is in the way. I have to re-pack my bearings this summer, so I chose to not close up the rig and jack it up to let the springs drop down enough. I just made sure that they were really tight. All seven other bolts were tight, but I still pulled the lowers to put locktite blue on them.

It is interesting that the original bolts had no apparent treatment on them, but my spare has blue on the first 3/8". That may be pre-treatment with locktite blue.

I enjoy life's little oddities. Locktite blue is sold in a red tube and, you guessed it, locktite red is sold in a blue tube.

Thanks for all the help! Rob, I hope you find that all of yours are nice and tight.

-Al
    Al and Kathe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]