User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roadside Assistance has me scratching my head!

I have Good Sam now. Renewal costs at least $114 per year. I think it was $79 when I did a multi year renewal a few years back. Anyway, AAA wants about $143 per year, with no further discounts available (here in Florida, anyway). I have Progressive insurance, and they want $11 per year for roadside assistance. And the
    service rep on the phone claims it will also cover the tow vehicle. I signed up for the progressive package, but before I let the GS lapse, what am I missing here??
    It seems to good to be true...
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had Good Sam and let it lapse. The gas discount was nice but, not enough to overcome the cost. Priced AAA and was not impressed with the price.

The only negative to having roadside assistance (towing) with your auto insurance is if you make a claim, it can incur a DIP/rating point that can be used to increase your auto rates. A towing claim with USAA knocked me out of their "preferred rate class."

Good Sam and FMCA both have a variety discounts. GS has gas and Camping World, FMCA has tire discounts etc.. I think GS, FMCA, and AAA all offer trip planning.
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 05-23-2019 at 05:18 AM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately you don't really know how good they are until you need them. I pay for Good Sam Platinum and will continue to do so. I have had my 5th wheel towed 3 times, I have had my tow vehicle towed 4 times, I have had tires replaced in the middle of Montana where it was 56 miles to the closest town and 75 miles to the closest tire dealer with the tire that I needed.

Will the others perform as well, probably. Was it easy and trouble free to use GS, not. We tend to travel in areas that don't have a lot of resources. If you travel near highly populated areas with many more companies offering road side services you get a much better response.

All that to say I have been satisfied with Good Sam Platinum Road Side Service.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Unfortunately you don't really know how good they are until you need them. I pay for Good Sam Platinum and will continue to do so. I have had my 5th wheel towed 3 times, I have had my tow vehicle towed 4 times, I have had tires replaced in the middle of Montana where it was 56 miles to the closest town and 75 miles to the closest tire dealer with the tire that I needed.

Will the others perform as well, probably. Was it easy and trouble free to use GS, not. We tend to travel in areas that don't have a lot of resources. If you travel near highly populated areas with many more companies offering road side services you get a much better response.

All that to say I have been satisfied with Good Sam Platinum Road Side Service.
    Dallas,
    When I look at GS it appears the Platinum coverage is separate. One policy for the RV @$114.00 and one for the TV @ $69.00. Are yours combined where one covers both the TV and RV?

Disregard. Found my answer. Platinum Auto + RV @ $114.00.
    Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 05-22-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    Had Good Sam and let it lapse. The gas discount was nice but, not enough to overcome the cost. Priced AAA and was not impressed with the price.

The only negative to having roadside assistance (towing) with your auto insurance is if you make a claim, it can incur a DIP/rating point that can be used to increase your auto rates. A towing claim with USAA knocked me out of their "preferred rate class."

Good Sam and FMCA both have a variety discounts. GS has gas and Camping World, FMCA has tire discounts etc.. I think GS, FMCA, and AAA all offer trip planning.

FMCA now includes roadside assistance with the $60 annual membership. Works for me.
    It looks like FMCA is $60 a year, which makes you eligible to buy the roadside assistance for an additional $74 per year...
    ~Dean

2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    It looks like FMCA is $60 a year, which makes you eligible to buy the roadside assistance for an additional $74 per year...
    Dean, You are correct. I had confused member included FMCAssist (emergency medical evacuation coverage) with the the FMCA Roadside Assistance.

Attached is a link that compares the cost of major RV roadside assistance plans. https://www.fmca.com/fmca-rv-roadside-assistance
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 05-23-2019 at 05:20 AM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    I have Good Sam now. Renewal costs at least $114 per year. I think it was $79 when I did a multi year renewal a few years back. Anyway, AAA wants about $143 per year, with no further discounts available (here in Florida, anyway). I have Progressive insurance, and they want $11 per year for roadside assistance. And the
    service rep on the phone claims it will also cover the tow vehicle. I signed up for the progressive package, but before I let the GS lapse, what am I missing here??
    It seems to good to be true...
    Hi BS..
    I live in Florida as well and my auto policys have always stated a max tow of 50 miles per occurrance, for either, and not both trailer and TV
    GS policys have, I believe, "unlimited" tow distance to nearest repair facility AND will tow your trailer to nearest CG if it was your TV that has broken down.
    GAME CHANGER... IMHO !!
    Luckily, I've never needed either and considering where I've travelled, I consider myself to have been very lucky.....

BUT, theres always tomorrow ; )

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago, GS sent two trucks to tow my broken down pickup and my trailer to the nearest Ford dealer 25 miles away. They waited for me while I dealt with the service department. Then both trucks drove to the campground hauling the trailer and my family of four. Once at the campground they waited for me to check in and then placed the trailer in my campsite. These guys absolutely made a very unfortunate incident much more bearable for us. That may have more to do with the towing company than GS, but I will stick with Good Sam. Their coverage also extends to every member of the household (4 drivers) and I believe it's good for any vehicle we're in, even as a passenger.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears GS does not give any significant discounts at renewal time, even if extending for 3 or 5 years. However, it appears that if I were to sign the wife up in her name, she could get the newby price, which is significantly less.... Like $50 a year or so less...
    ~Dean

2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Double check what the trailer coverage. State farm told me the trailer was covered, but only up to $100. They since have changed that.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast