There probably isn't a handyman (handyperson) alive who hasn't noticed when they got into the shower or tub that some caulking needed to be replaced, so they took the time to do it. Everyone knows that water is not a friend to wallboard or sheetrock or what's behind the tiles in a shower,. I'm sure that the word "mold" brings to mind different kinds of things that one would prefer not to think about.

Unfortunately, I didn't apply the same logic to my RV. I've had 4 RVs since 2000 (Class A, two 5th wheels and a TT) and yes, like most, I routinely walked the roof to make sure there wasn't cracked seals or caulking (thinking that I was doing good). Ok - I was doing good - but not enough. I guess it was like putting on a hat, but neglecting the rain coat or foul weather boots. I was not checking my seals around the sides of the RV to see if any were pulling away or allowing any moisture in. We probably spend 6 months a year in ours from mountains to deserts and everywhere else as we travel a lot in all kinds of weather.

You have wood (or something like it) behind the walls of your RV and if water seeps in, that wood absorbs it. I found out the hard way when I noticed that my door of my 2 year old Momentum wasn't closing exactly right and there was a CRACK (yep - a 2 inch crack in the side of my 2 year old beauty). We had our local RV repair person look at it and said"That's beyond our paygrade". Uh oh. He never asked me "how often do you check the seals around the outside of the RV?" I would have remembered.

So, we took the 376TH to Indiana and they asked me the question "how often do you check the seals?" I gave the same kind of look as I would give if someone asked me "how often do you change the air in your tires?" I mumbled something about "uh never" and they pointed out that water will seep in and then get into the wood and saturate the inside. He was using numbers like 97% saturated and 94% saturated on DIFFERENT walls! Oh boy.

Yep - I've had flooding in my home before and remembered when the water line to the refrigerator broke and we came home and found 6 inches of water on the floor but 18 inches of moisture in my walls - having to cut away sheet rock. Ok - that was 18 inches up from the floor and he was talking 97% SATURATION.

OK folks - I learned a lesson and hopefully this may keep you from learning the same ones. Trust me when I say you're talking about tens of thousands of dollars to go in and replace all of that (yes - the ten did have an s on the end of it). Don't think it's not necessary either. Mold is a 4 letter word on purpose!

I recommend you go outside and check your seams and make sure no water can seep in. Oh - if you're in Oklahoma or Missouri (where the storms are), nevermind as your RV is probably already under water right now - but if you're anywhere else - check them and save yourself a headache. Yes, the folks at Grand Design are working on ours and we appreciate them immensely as they do a great job. THEY recommend you check them every 90 days - ESPECIALLY if you are in cold or hot weather where they expand or contract. I guarantee you I am putting in on my calendar as a reminder ever 90 days from now on!