User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 94lb. Weimaraner rides in the back seat of the truck with the two teenagers. We don’t take him on trips greater than a 3.5 hour drive or so one way. We board him while on longer trips. He does well. No way he’s going to ride in the fifth wheel.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chalk up one more in the don't do it camp. Dogs are family members, would you put one of the kids in the 5th wheel for the trip because of size?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a strong feeling we're being trolled...
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    would you put one of the kids in the 5th wheel . . .
    Hi Marcy,

Interesting that you should mention this . . . at an Indiana campground, an older 5th wheel rig pulled in beside us and when it came to a stop, half a dozen kids piled out of the trailer. At least they were in their by their own choice (I assume) and apparently this is legal in Indiana for 5th wheels only. I would still never subject a dog to this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    I have a strong feeling we're being trolled...
    Good observation . . . this is a distinct possibility.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it legal? Without researching I would say it probably is, there are thousands of animals hauled in trailers every day.

Would I do it? Nope, not with my dog.

If the kids have a big problem sharing the back seat space you could always put the dog in the front passenger seat and ride 3 people in the back seat.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Besides all the other points: With all the slides in, there may not be much room for the dog, except maybe the bathroom. And you for sure would want to crate him if you did want to put him in the 5th...and that would mean even more room that isn't available.
    Our backseat passengers just have to learn to get along. I have never had to tell the dogs to stop squabbling!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternatively if you don't want the dog in the car, get a large crate for the truck bed and have the dog back there. Personally I'd rather have the dog inside with us though.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Years back with my golden Buddy I put one of those Igloo dog houses in front of the 5th wheel hitch (tight fit). It was restrained with a cable to the bed. My truck has bucket seats in back and with 2 kids not much floor room and floor gets warm. I had a big soft bed and I tried on the floor of the truck under the kids feet, but he got motion sickness. Not a great smell and a mess to clean up. So i put the bed in the Igloo and put him in back, When camped it was out near us and the trailer so he had a friendly place to go. Traveling outside in the igloo he did not get sick at all. MY truck has a sliding glass rear window so it could be opened for him to stick his nose in.

When traveling I had him tied in a harness, with room outside the igloo to move around, We would stop often and let him out. He seemed to like it as all I had to do was drop the tailgate and he would jump in.

The down side with traveling with the dog is most all parks now will not allow the dog on the trails (unless a service dog), and I felt bad leaving him at the trailer tied up. We then decided to find neighbors to look after him while traveling.

BTW - speaking of service dogs I wonder a lot nowadays if they real are as you can get a service dog harness online. When I see a bunch of kids with a dog (service harness on) and the dog just being a dog - running jumping on them etc, it just makes me wonder.

Now the coolest dog I saw was a German Shepherd with a visually impaired hiker (he could make out general shapes) hiking in Zion. The dog would verbally and by pushing on his leg, get him through rocks and keep him from tripping. I swear he could hike faster than I could.

Nuf said, except I would never put my dog in the trailer. Friend of mine put his dog in a towed car and the dog destroyed the seats and dash as it went ballistic (high strung Irish Setter). Dog also got sick and had liquid poo in the vehicle. When he stopped the dog almost ran away and refused to get back in. Spent the rest of the trip in the pickup between him and his wife. He said he almost got divorced after that trip as you can imagine what the dog smelled like.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be the defector here. I'm learning at this place, I'm either crazy, or most are overly conservative around here.
    I have 2 Huskies. They go everywhere with me. They come to work, they sleep in our bed. Rarely separated from us, and definitely live a great life.
    That being said. They dont go in my truck. If you've ever tried to vacuum husky hair out, even after 1 ride. It's a nightmare. In my everyday driver f350 I installed a camper shell and a bed rug. That is where they ride. In my momentum, they go in their kennel in the garage. Yep. I said it. They've been in there at least a half dozen times. We stop and check on them, let them out. They go right back in their kennel and off we go.
    I have never completed a trip in the dead of summer but if I did I would just run the generator and garage ac. Probably another no-no.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast